PDA

View Full Version : Boat lift help

colepop
05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I need some help setting my boat lift up for my Moomba Outback. I recently sold my I/O Crownline and need to modify my lift. Can you guys send me any pictures of your lift (without boat) so I can see how to set it up. Or if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I am ready to have my baby out of my shop and on the lift for some summer fun.

Thanks in advance.

wolfeman131
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Go to Craftworks (478-453-7199) on 441 in Milledgeville, just South of Airport road. It's a beige building that sits behind a glass place on the left if you're heading South. They make a cradle beam that is double stacked but the top beam has a section cut out to help avoid messing up the fins, shaft, prop & rudder on inboards. Let me know when you want to tackle the job. If I'm around, I can lend a hand.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=craftworks+metal+products+milledgeville,+ga&fb=1&gl=us&hq=craftworks+metal+products&hnear=milledgeville,+ga&hl=en&view=map&cid=2989970295495530407&iwloc=A

jmvotto
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
colepop,

this may help, there are a couple links to threads in here with good suggestions for th bunk levels.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10992&highlight=bunks

deerfield
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Can you guys send me any pictures of your lift (without boat) so I can see how to set it up.

Here you go. Lift is set up for an '07 Outback.

colepop
05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Wolfeman131 - I am good friends with Gene at Craftworks and I actually purchased the original boat lift from him so I will head down there for his help. I appreciate the links and the pictures as well.

I need the minimum clearance as there is not much head room with the tower up. But I don't mind folding my tower if I have to.

Nothing like having your boat available to ski in 5 minutes versus pulling it to the boat ramp and unloading.:p

Sled491
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Heck our clearance is soo low we have to put down our bimini to get under the canopy, yikes!

wolfeman131
05-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Wolfeman131 - I am good friends with Gene at Craftworks and I actually purchased the original boat lift from him so I will head down there for his help. I appreciate the links and the pictures as well.

I need the minimum clearance as there is not much head room with the tower up. But I don't mind folding my tower if I have to.

Nothing like having your boat available to ski in 5 minutes versus pulling it to the boat ramp and unloading.:p

Gene is a good man. I bought the cradle beams for my bowrider from him, the cradle beams for the Moomba and he and I worked and worked on a lift motor that was giving us fits until we finally decided "F-it" together and I bought a new one.

You should be good with headroom as long as you have 8 ft posts. I've never had the boat float off the lift, even last year when we had the floods. I do keep a safety line attached to the bow eye just in case and flip the breaker to the lift when we aren't at the lake.

colepop
05-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Just purchased the double cradle like Gene suggested but now I am still worried about clearing my prop and rudder. Looks like I need 20 inches and by my measuring, I only have about 10 between the hull and the cut-out on the beams.

Questions - what size lumber are you guys using? 2 by 6 or 2 by 8? double them up?

Also, where on the boat are you lifting? I know one beam goes under the windshield but how far from the back should the other one go?

Thanks

scoot_gt
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
what size lumber are you guys using? 2 by 6 or 2 by 8? double them up?

Also, where on the boat are you lifting? I know one beam goes under the windshield but how far from the back should the other one go?
Thanks

For my 06 Outback V, my lift has 2x12s doubled up with a slight angle cut off the top to match the hull. My rear beam is just in front of the shaft so the prop and rudder never have to clear.

maxpower220
05-13-2010, 06:20 PM
I only have enough vertical room to clear the skegs. I stop the boat on the lift bunks before the prop/rudder come close to the horizontal bar. I used a 3"x3" aluminum tube on top of the mounts with a 2"x6" on top of that. It is spaced and sized just like the trailer bunks (without the support curve).

wolfeman131
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
where r u on the lake? maybe you can get down to my place to check mine out in person?

I made mine out of doubled-up 2 x 8's, but more importantly, the beam sits in front (towards the bow) of where the shaft comes out of the boat. So, like maxpower, you only have to get the skegs through that opening.

colepop
05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Wolfman, I am in Forest Lake Village in Putnam County - I was going to ride around to check out some of the other inboards on lifts that I have seen.

I would like to check out your lift setup and try to duplicate it.

[email protected] - let me know a good time to stop by

colepop
05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys! Wolfman made my day. Being able to actually see and measure the setup was a huge help.

I finished the job at dusk and loaded my boat. She fits perfect except I have to lower the tower in order to clear the water but no big deal.

Wolfman - You have a great security system. Both neighbors came over to chat and check me out. Both of them offered advice on how to complete the lift.

Tommorrow a.m. - I will be on the lake tearing it up.

wolfeman131
05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Wolfman - You have a great security system. Both neighbors came over to chat and check me out. Both of them offered advice on how to complete the lift.

Tommorrow a.m. - I will be on the lake tearing it up.

glad you got it figured out!

yep, my neighbors are great. glad you got to meet them.

Sled491
05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Bet ya he would have been happier if one of your neighbours was a super model and came over to chat :D