PDA

View Full Version : Drilling in Gelcoat

Garn
05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I"m installing a new heater line. I need to drill a big (about 5 inch diameter) hole into the panel between the open bow and the drivers seat to put the pull out heater line. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Garn

cab13367
05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Garn,

If you are installing the heater tube, it requires a 4" diameter hole. Tape the gelcoal with at least two layers of masking tape. Get a brand new 4" hole saw, drill a pilot hole, then drill in reverse. Keep the hole saw square to the gelcoat and hold it steady as you drill in reverse until you get thru the gelcoat. Most people then switch it to forward and drill the rest of the way thru.

I just finished installing a three outlet heater in my 2006 LSV so I drilled three 4" holes in the gelcoat this way. Below is a link to my how to post.

Good luck!

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10840

zabooda
05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Remember the heater tube holder requires some room behind the mounting so check for the clearance.

Garn
05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Thank you both for your help. That is exactly the information I needed. I'll install it tomorrow.

Thank you again,

Garn

cab13367
05-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I"m installing a new heater line. I need to drill a big (about 5 inch diameter) hole into the panel between the open bow and the drivers seat to put the pull out heater line. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Garn

Garn,

After re-reading your post, I'm wondering exactly where you plan to drill this hole, and is it for the heater tube itself or for the flex duct that connects to the heater tube? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're planning to do. What year and boat do you have?

Al

Garn
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I have on 07 Mobius LS (direct drive). And what you explained to me in your first post is exactly what I need to do (the heater tube). I didn't end up getting to it over the weekend. So I'll do it in a day or two.

Thanks again,

Garn