PDA

View Full Version : Dexron III vs Dexron VI

DOCDRS
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Curious as to what engine nut has to say about this or anyone else?

dexron VI is supposed to be new and improved dexron III. GM TSB states that current and prior automatic transmission models that had used DEXRON III must now only use DEXRON VI
oil film thickness increased by 20%
foam /aeration improved 150%
shear stability improved 200 %
fluid oxidation improved 100%

DOCDRS
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
anybody going to chime in?

kaneboats
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I thought it was backward compatible. This thread seems to indicate it is backward compatible with Dexron III and older fluids. Some posters claim lower temps in the transmissions as well. It also says it's a partial synthetic blend.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/dexron-vi-6-a-64757/

driven sydeways
05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
yes, its backwards compatible in all vehicles requiring dex III, and it is a better fluid as DOCDRS showed. my automatic transmission teacher runs it in all of his GM vehicles, new and old. as far as use in the boat i would imagine it would be the same or better.

Aquaholic
05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
If I change the fluid. Can I use my Oil-extractor pump? How many quarts do you think it will take to refill the tranny?

Razzman
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I just did mine a week ago. You can use your extractor no problem. It won't get it all though. Manual says 2 quarts but go easy and keep checking after 1.5qts otherwise you'll over fill.

DOCDRS
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
If you have a vdrive, or can feel the 2 bolts on the underside of the tranny , drop the screen cover plate and you'll get another pint out of the tranny( but get something to catch it) and or remove completely to service the screen as well....there is a how too in the how to section

zabooda
05-22-2010, 01:46 AM
I went to get some tranny fluid and the Castrol Dex/Merc ATF says on the back "Do not use this ATF in applications calling for Dextron-VI." So if you have a system that uses Dex6 then it is not backwards compatible.

DOCDRS
06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
I went to get some tranny fluid and the Castrol Dex/Merc ATF says on the back "Do not use this ATF in applications calling for Dextron-VI." So if you have a system that uses Dex6 then it is not backwards compatible.

dexron VI is backward compatible in systems that use dexronIII/merc.....dexronIII/merc is not forward compatible in dexronVI systems

kaneboats
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Well said. People confuse this all the time.

zabooda
06-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks DOC for correcting me. My brain must have been working in reverse that day.