PDA

View Full Version : need some help!

outbackv
05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
as some of you know i my old wake plate actuators broke and bennett sent me two new ones in the mail under warranty and am under the install process write know and have some questions.......
yes i did called bennett!
need to know how long after i hook the actuators up to the hydraulic lines does it take to run all the air out and them actually start moving bennett said usaually not very long but after even a minute or so nothing happenns its like they are not getting any fluid.....
my other question is have you ever put on actuators and had this problem when the are is all the way up on the actuator it doesnt match the wake plate where it should be its way down and bennett told me that the skinny point below the neck bends and having a hard time trying to bend it without breaking it?
also can anyone post a pic of there wakeplate actuators with the plate up

outbackv
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
alright i guys i got it done FINALLY

heres some info and answers to my questions in case anyone ever has to do this.....

it takes about a minute to get the pumps full of fluid and to drain the air by moving the trim up and down...... until the actuators will start working

also the actuators the neck below where its screwed in the transom thats very skinny which was the spot where it broke they do bend about 60 degrees and its very difficult to move them...

in the future id like to replace the entire system and wanted some input about wake plates or ideas of things others have done.....

i have a 24" plate i believe.....with two actuators running it and was wondering what people think of other brands of plates wakeplates? and electric vs hydraulic?

just some info would be great other then whats on the manufactures website considering they are all talking up there own product....has anyone ever added, replaced or upgraded there wakeplate...

newty
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Glad you got it figured out.:D Sorry we coundn't be more help.

Razzman
05-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think anybody here has done anything to their plates or added or removed them. In my experience you don't see anyone messing with the stock setup as it's optimized and works great. I think hydraulic is used as the forces applied would be too much for all electric. In fact all i've ever seen anywhere is hydraulic/electric. Why replace it? I can't see how you'd make it any better than it is.

mmandley
05-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Can you post a pic of your hydraulic system? Just the back of the boat. Im just curious to see if its different then the factory system they use now. It sounds like its the same system.

outbackv
05-08-2010, 12:37 PM
ya ill post some pics as soon as i get home! installing them is not as easy as it sounds and yes it is the same system as the factory just you have to bend the actuators to fit the plate not much only about 15 degrees but they are very difficult to bend!!! im pretty much an expert now on bennett trim tabs after all this

btw the guys at bennett are awesome very helpful!

reason for replacing is the whole set up is the hinge holding the plate got a tiny offset bend in it as well as the plate and do to the way the bend is it is you can just hammer it out and i dont

so id like to replce the whole plate set up and was just wondering if anyone has used lenco tabs and just getting ideas of other manufacturers and what not

thanks the the replys

cab13367
05-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I think the wakeplates on Moombas are now electric. Thought I read that somewhere.

mmandley
05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I think the wakeplates on Moombas are now electric. Thought I read that somewhere.

Nope don't think so sir. If you open the engine hatch on our boats and on your lower right hand is a plastic cover, kinda smoke colored, that's the hydraulic for the wake plate.

brain_rinse
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Moomba switched to an electric wakeplate in 2009.

jmvotto
05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
ditto on the Electric. ED g was talking about that extensively when Martha was Born..:p

wolfeman131
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
if I remember correctly, they are now electric & a single actuator

outbackv
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
ill have to look into that and see....

wolfeman131
05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
ill have to look into that and see....

here is the best pic I could find from the '09 Owner's Manual Archive

top right corner pic

http://www.moomba.com/library/owner_manuals/moomba_09.pdf

aintskeered
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Outbackv, I lost the whole wake plate and broke one cylinder on lsv, Never felt it go or get loose.... nothing, End of day and headed back to load on the trailer.... Gone when I loaded it? Warrenty/ my dealer coverd mine as it was pretty new at the time. I filled the actuators when I put them on... Just about a cup into the bottem. The started working almost imeditally. I had to pull all the screws out of the attachment/ hinge point on the bottem of my boat and replace the plate. Was not bad though. Have had no problem since. Wish I would have read your poast earlier I could have given ya a heads up. Been off the board for a bit.

outbackv
05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
thanks for the input everyone! wolfeman it looks like in that plate moomba now uses a lenco actuator!
ainskeered thanks for the reply
ya it was a pain in the ass putting them on and my plate is bent very very little and i took the boat out yesterday and at high speeds it pulls quite a bit to the right not crazy but enough to bug me you know!
so soon im gonna replace the whole set up either the entire system or at the very least the plate and the hinge but wanted to get some input and see if anyone on here has every added or replaced the bennett system or went with an electric system mainly im curious because when i replace it if i can get something better or more reliable (not saying bennett isnt) just saying id like to do that other than putting the same thing on....

brain_rinse
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I will consider upgrading to an electric actuator once my hydraulic actuators fail (again, and outside of warranty.) The only benefit I can see would be reliability as both systems do the exact same thing. It will come down to cost though, like everything.

outbackv
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
thanks for the reply!!!

now if i went to a electric system or any other system would you recomend staying with two actuators to a plate or go with one ive noticed on most newer boats manufactured that have a wake plate they only have one actuator?

anyone know the pros and cons of electric vs. hydraulic

mmandley
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
here is the best pic I could find from the '09 Owner's Manual Archive

top right corner pic

http://www.moomba.com/library/owner_manuals/moomba_09.pdf

Not to argue but i can stand corrected that 09s are electric.

That owners manual on Page 52 shows a single piston wake plate and calls it Hydraulic.

outbackv
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
MMANDLEY yes you are correct!
what do you think of the electric set ups compared to the hydraulic and if i changed my set up would i have to go to a single actuator?

polar21
05-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I have no experience with this type of application, although these are referred to as "trim tabs" in the fishing community and are used on boats from 19' all the way up to multi-million dollar sportfishing yachts. The difference between hydraulic (bennet) and electric (lenco) has been discussed on numerous fishing forums with no real advantage going to either one. I have used both of these types in fishing applications and the electrics were faster than the hydraulics, but that is the only difference I could tell.

outbackv
05-11-2010, 02:05 PM
thanks for the response! speed yes the electric systems are defin faster than the hydraulic from the videos i have watched just was a little weary of the electric set up although me and a few others have had problems with the hydraulic system i think im probably gonna go with a electric set up....

i wonder if i do switch to the electric lenco set up like in the 09 outbacks if it would be a single actuator like shown in the manual or if they would have to put two considering there are two holes in the transom already from the 08 hydraulic benneet actuators....

cab13367
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
outbackv,

No offense intended but my suggestion is to put your time, effort, and money towards something that will make a tangible improvement in your boating experience. Whether you go with electric or hydraulic, when you flip the lever, the plate moves. So I would go with the most cost effective solution. Now if the hydraulic wakeplate is prone to failure, then I might consider changing to electric once it fails. But if remember correctly, your ran your wakeplate into the back of the garage, it did not fail on it's own, correct?

That said, seems to me that the electric would be easier to install than a hydraulic system so if you are starting from scratch, I would go electric.

Al

wolfeman131
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Not to argue but i can stand corrected that 09s are electric.

That owners manual on Page 52 shows a single piston wake plate and calls it Hydraulic.

no worries Mike. that's just strange to me as I know that the last time I was at the dealership that I saw an electric one. Maybe different on different models and/or years? who the heck knows. i know mine is a 2 actuator hydraulic system on '08 OBV.

kaneboats
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure they are all electric as of '09. It's quite possible the manual wasn't updated or something.

outbackv
05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
i did not run my boat into my garage! and im not replacing the system for no reason and wasting my time nor did i say i want to replace the hydraulic sytem cause it failed!!!!!
the reason why is my plate and hinge are bent not much but it is off set about a 1/2 inch to be exact and makes the boat pull at higher speeds does it absolutely need to be replaced NO but its enough to bug me im 21and this is my first boat that I ALONE have purchased and want everything working properly...............
my question was since im going to be changing it is does anyone recommend different set ups and if there where pros and cons to different system i thought that what these forums were for
i said nothing about the hydraulics FAILING

cab i understand what your saying about time though thanks for the reply hope to hear from you soon
bruno

cab13367
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
first of all no i did not run my boat into my garage! and im not replacing the system for no reason and wasting my time nor did i say i want to replace the hydraulic sytem cause it failed!!!!!
the reason why like i said in above post is my plate and hinge are bent not much but it is off set about a 1/2 inch to be exact and makes the boat pull at higher speeds does it absolutely need to be replaced NO but its enough to bug me im 21 and this is my first boat that I ALONE have purchased and want everything working properly...............
my question was since im going to be changing it is does anyone recommend different set ups and if there where pros and cons to different system i thought that what these forums were for
i said nothing about anything FAILING

Hey outbackv,

I apologize – I must have you mixed up with someone else who did. I didn’t mean to offend you with my post and you are right, this is what this forum is about – to bounce ideas of each other and learn from each other. I guess what I was trying to convey to you is that if it were me, I would definitely fix it but I would stay with the same system as what you have now so that you don’t have to drill new holes for a new single actuator and patch old ones from the old actuators, etc. Basically, go thru a lot of work and then at the end of it all, you don’t gain any benefits over your existing hydraulic system.

If you are going to spend that kind of time and effort, there are plenty of other upgrades out there that you will see real benefits from.

And congratulations on being able to have a boat at such a young age. I think that’s great.

Again, sorry if I offended you – that was not my intent.

Al

outbackv
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
its alright man! yes i defin want to replace it im very anal and its gonna bug me if i dont fix it....as it probably would most of you as well

you just answered my question though!

so looking at things level headed your right i should just stay with the same set up to make things simple and less costly especially since id have to patch the old holes in the transom and drill a new one which i didnt really consider cause yes there are many more upgrades id like to do instead of fixing and wasting time on this project thats been haunting me since i started it....

mmandley
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
MMANDLEY
what do you think of the electric set ups compared to the hydraulic and if i changed my set up would i have to go to a single actuator?

I don't have any experience with Electric. I would say Electric is much more environmentally as no fluids to leak. Also your going to have fare less parts that can fail. This system just has a wire from your switch to power. Power to the solenoid at the plate to move it up or down.

If i had the option as to what i would rather have on my boat it would be electric. Since i had no option im just happy i got a hydraulic lol.

outbackv
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
ya its defin something to consider im going to be replacing the plate and hinge and was thinking why not just put two electric actuators on instead of the hydraulics im not sure which way ill go especially since id rather be adding things instead of fixing if you know what i mean

mmandley
05-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I go with the new plate and hinge to get you back to a working state sooner and cheaper. If it goes south on you again <lets hope not> then no reason not to go electric as you will have a real distaste for hydraulic by then lol

outbackv
05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
ya i think thats what ill probably end up doing......thanks for all the relpys everyone your input is appreciated;)