PDA

View Full Version : Help with fiberglass

uttitanfan
05-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I have researched how to repair a gouge in my hull. I went to Home Depot and bought the fiberglass resin and hardener and also some fiberglass. I have read that people say to cut the glass in pieces to place in the gouge. My question is how big to cut it up. Are we talking like 1cm x1cm squares or shreads or the size of the gouge but in layers. Lastly to you mix the pieces of glass in the pallet or place in the gouge and place resin over the top. Responses appreciated because it is 80 degrees today and perfect day to be outside working on the boat.

PS also installing stereo system today. Woo Hoo

mmandley
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
IDK what type a boat your working on but Fiberglass repair will be very deep in the boat. Are you sure your not needing Gell Coat repair?

There is some gell coat repair treads around and from what i read you sand and widen the gouge a little. Then the gell coat is like a gell or putty almost and you spread that into the whole. Then it drys and you sand and buff it level with the surrounding gell coat. After that wet sand it polish it back to shine. It comes ina multitude of colors.

maxpower220
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Cut your fiberglass in pieces, make your first pieces smaller and go larger with each one that you place on top.
Mix your resin with the hardner. Lay out your fiberglass pieces on something that won't stick to the resin (I use wax paper from the kitchen for small projects). Use a small paint brush ( a cheap one to throw away) and coat your fiberglass. Once the fiberglass is soaked, it will appear clear instead of white. Use the paint brush to remove as much of the resin from the fiberglass and then pick up your piece and place it where you need it.

Only plan to do a few layers (4-6) at a time as the chemical reaction of the resin really gets hot. Check youtube for videos before starting. Build up your gouge to above the surface so that you can sand it down level at the end.

mmandley
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Maxpower has it dead on for fiberglass repair. I was only warning that you maybe needing Gell Coat repair not fiberglass.

uttitanfan
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I can see fiberglass, it is a deep gouge. I was going to fill it in with fiberglass then gellcoat the top of it. I don't know how it wasn't leaking

Thanks guys.... off to repair now