PDA

View Full Version : Canvas cover repair help

AaronWhitt82
05-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Hey guys I have a custom canvas cover for the boat that came with it when I bought it...
There is (2) 6X6" canvas squares I guess you could call them that are sewn into the front (center) and rear (center) of the cover. In the middle of these canvas pieces there is a snap built into them.
This is where the poles snap in to support the cover....
Today after I got done doing some detailing I snapped the front pole in and proceeded to roll the cover back and somehow the stitching in the square totally ripped out.
Now there is no way to put the front pole in to support the cover.
Is there any kind of glue or tape out there that would bond this "square" back onto the cover?
It is supposed to rain tomorrow night and Friday and I don't want a bunch of water getting into the boat.
I guess I could always find a 2X4 or something for a temporary fix.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to bring the cover to a canvas shop sooner or later for repairs because where the cover zips around the tower mounts it is starting to rip in spots where the zippers are sewn in.
Also one of the straps ripped out of the cover and another strap snapped.
It seems as the stitching and straps are like kind of "dry rotting" and just coming apart.
There is also some other odds and ends that need to be fixed...
I was thinking of looking at some new covers, but this one is still good and does a pretty good job of keeping water out during heavy rains and only gets some in around the tower mounts.

Thanks

kaneboats
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd be tempted to try an iron-on patch like my Mom used to put on our jeans when we tore the knees out of them. Those things are sturdy as heck and come in multiple colors.

AaronWhitt82
05-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Kane - An iron on patch wouldn't do me any good. I just need to get this 6X6" canvas piece with the snap built into it glued, bonded, or whatever else back to the cover.
There is no actual "hole" in the cover itself.
I guess maybe some pics would help of what I'm talking about...

kaneboats
05-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I meant use them around it and overlapping from the back side. You won't see them and they are strong as heck. Have you ever seen carpet seam tape? They heat the glue and push the seams together. When it cools the seam is "gone". I'd use the patches the same way, sorta.