PDA

View Full Version : New steering cable very loose at helm.

T100
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I just had the steering cable replaced on the boat I just bought at a dealership and I am not close to the dealer to go back for an adjustment. The steering wheel is loose and at higher speeds you really have to be paying attention or the boat will veer sharply to one side.
Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on the cable, any help would be awesome.
I have a 2004 Mobius LSV.

JesseC
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
There is not really any adjustments. I would check the four bolts under the steering wheel to make sure the rack is tight against the steering column. In the stern of the boat there is a single bolt that connects to the rudder, make sure it is tight. I would suspect that the tube that the cable threads into with a large nut (make sure the nut is tight) may have come loose from its mount. About a foot from the rudder there is a little square box that clamps to a stationary ball mount that holds the cable tube in place. Make sure that is secured, I would imagine you would see the veering if the tube has come loose from the ball mount. Seems like it is secured with four bolts as well. I will get pictures for you this evening if this does not make sence. Also what year and model boat do you have?

T100
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks JesseC, pictures would be great for the stern of the boat for the rubber, stationary ball mount and box, I have been looking for the rubber piece but can't see it & the single bolt that connects it. I'll tighten the four bolts under the steering wheel tonight. 2004 Mobius LSV
Thanks again!!

JesseC
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I will get you some pics this evening. When you are checking the bolt that connects the rudder to the cable (remove the engine seperation panel on the port side and lay down with your head against the transom), all you have to do is run your hand down the cable towards the front of the boat. About the time you get to the engine mounts, you will see the small box attached to the ball mount. If you slide your hand further toward the bow you will find the cable mounting tube and about 8-9 inches after that you will find the large nut that connects the cable to the tube. I would check all of this and then report back to us. The box on the ball mount should feel loose so that the cable can move and pivot on it, but it in NO WAY should be able to be pulled free.

T100
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I'll let you know how I make out, Thanks for the great info!