PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform issue

Sled491
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I know this has been a topic before, but I am curious about the loose platform issue. One side has become loose where the pin goes through. It has become oblong. Did most people replace the bracket or just drill it out and add a bushing?

squeeg333
05-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Sled, you're right, there has been talk about this before. But, like you, I am curious of the various solutions.

I know some people drilled the holes out to 5/8" and put new, larger pins in. I also recall someone tig welding the holes in the bracket up, and re-drilling them. I've got the same issue, and have been planning to drill the holes larger. Should be a simple fix - key word is should!

Sled491
05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Bottom line it's just irritating, not dangerous. If you drill to the next size up what's to stop the same issue again. That's why I'm wondering about putting in a stainless bushing.

squeeg333
05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
That's a good point Sled. I am thinking the holes in all 4 brackets were pre-drilled. Meaning, the swim platform wasn't in place resting on the boat brackets when they were drilled. And, this possibly being the case, things didn't align correctly (the swim platform backet(s) holes were drilled a bit too low). Then, normal use played a role in loosing things up, and making the issue even larger. I noticed that wave action plays a big role in this...

My thought was to have it good and solid, slide the platform in place, and drill the holes while everything is where it should be. I'm guessing this wasn't the case at the factory - though I could be completely off base.

Still, you bring up a valid point. So it would be real nice to hear from some peeps who have gone that route and they could fill us in on their results.

Sled491
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I see your point, and it does make sense. Certianly your solution or fix is the easiest

jmb
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
I had new stainless brackets made at a machine shop. Nice and tight now. SC using aluminum was not the best application in this case

Sled491
05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
What did that cost you? Have you had any issues with the reinstallation to the boat?

Razzman
05-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Well for the record platform brackets have been aluminum since as long as i can remember. That said i've never had issues with any so there has to be some nuance with the moombas that others don't have.

On mine we noticed on delivery day that the platform was crooked, got a tape measure and measured the brackets at the dealer and one bracket was 1/8" lower than the other. Doesn't sound like much but it was noticeable. I cut & placed a piece of 1/8" black hdpe between the platform and bracket and it's level now but "pops" when you stand on that end? I can't figure that one out!

mmandley
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
My biggest complaint about the platform is this. Maybe its exactly what your talking about.

Bought new and put it in and then the locking pins slide right in. No issues at all.

Mid season the locking pins were bent slightly so i straightened them out.

End of season and now this season i have to lift up slightly on the swim deck to get the locking pins in or out. The factory hole is long elongated slightly and its now not a perfect even fit.

I think this is do to slop in the locking pins right from the start. This allows the deck to vibrate while being pulled on the trailer and while driving in the water.

I have been debating putting the deck on and taking a drill and making new holes. Then buy SS bolts to put threw it so there's no slop. Just waiting on pulling the trigger on this due to not wanting to ruin the brackets and have to buy new ones lol.

Sled491
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually MM you are makeing 333's point for him. Sounds like the deck was sitting too high in the brackets. The platform settled and you now have issues. I would redrill and add bushings and go with whatever fastner you want after that. I happen to prefer the quick pins which is weird as I have no reason to take my platform off until I store it at the end of the season.

mmandley
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Ahh ok yes i read his and knew me and him were talking the same english here LOL.

I realy dont want to have to mess with the brackets on the boat. The swim deck is the crooked looking, just rattles a lot now thats its loose.

I too like the quick release pins that came with it. I was hopping to just re-drill the holes and use a larger diameter threw pin or something to make it stop rattling..

sandm
05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
similar issues here..
last spring, platform almost fell off due to the holes at the bottom of the brackets busting out.

went to dealer, $100 later, had new brackets, however they are a different angle than the factory ones. these are canted upward, which as a bonus when surfing the platform doesn't drag quite as much into the lake, however the platform is still loose. drilled out the holes to the next larger size, but the overall fit of the bracket into the blocks onto the back of the boat is horrid.

sad that I noticed as I was at the dealer the other day how tight the 'bu platforms fit and the supra launch21 and moomba xlv right next to it have so much slop from day one..

someone needs to post pics of said bushings installed. been tempted a couple of times to bolt the platform in from both the bottom and top, but it's a pita to remove after that if you need to.

I don't think the wear issue will ever go away as long as the platform has some slop in it. the constant slapping of wakes on the bottom of it moves it up and down, and the aluminum is going to wear..

got a guy that welds aluminum that said he would go ahead and fill in the holes on the original brackets making them a solid piece so I can re-drill them again, so at least I have backups. downside will be at some point when the blocks on the back of the boat wear. those are thru-bolted and the only access from what I understand is to cut the floor under the ballast bags.

sandm
05-05-2010, 11:28 AM
WOW, just noticed that I'm over 1000 posts... woo hoo......http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance011.gif

ok, now back to your regularly scheduled forum debate :)

kaneboats
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Congrats! That's a huge milestone that takes tremendous dedication and perseverance.

Sled491
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
WOW, just noticed that I'm over 1000 posts... woo hoo......http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance011.gif

ok, now back to your regularly scheduled forum debate :)

Doesn't any one work any more :D

Maybe we need to start a thread that we send to SC engineering and QC staff once and a while bringing up items we as consumers of there product feel need to be addressed.

squeeg333
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Sled, not a bad idea. I have read posts in the past that SC does actually review this board once in a while to make sure we are all pleased with the product, but I'm not sure if changes are made due to a widespread problem that we see.

It sounds like we're all speaking roughly the same language though. I had the same issue as Mmandley, though only one side of the platform I have the issue with the bent pin. Like you, I have to raise the platform a little to get the pin in. I hate having to do that, and will probably just try to drill the braket holes larger. I like the idea of making new brackets out of SST, but I really worry about having to take the brackets off of the boat. I just hate it when you go to jump off the plateform, and it rattles like it's about to fall off, not the best feeling in the world!!

I figure at least attempting to drill the holes larger, and using a larger pin could be a temporary fix... but chances are the wave action and just normal use would make the platform vibrate, and eventually show the same problem. With aluminum being the material, it's soft enough that it'll deform over time... bummer!!

sandm
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Congrats! That's a huge milestone that takes tremendous dedication and perseverance.

or a lot of useless drivel being disseminated amongst those that don't care..

either way... woo hoo

sandm
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I think it would be a great idea if skiers would incorporate some of the feedback off this board, and I am guessing that someone there does read this with regularity, but that the issues that are brought up here don't go anywhere.

they really should be listening to the dealers feedback and to warranty work issues as that's a true picture of the state of their boats. the few of us that come on to gripe about an issue represent a very small % of the actual boat owners..

squeeg333
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
True, but we are the most important ones right?

Razzman
05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
So has anybody seen OJ Props replacement / fold down brackets (http://www.ojprops.com/products/folddown_platform_bracket)? I'm thing one could remove all the factory stuff and replace with these.

jmb
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
The machine shop cost me $320.00 for Stainless brackets. Just had this done last fall so will see how it works out. Nice and tight though.

squeeg333
05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
That would be awesome Razz. Nice find. Wonder how much they want for a setup like that??

kaneboats
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think I could use it. It would hit the go-kart in the garage.

sandm
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I believe that they are a replica of the brackets that mastercraft uses on the prostar 195/205 for their rear folddown platform on the new models. I saw them at a boat show 2 years ago. they were an improvement over what skiers uses, but every one that I have seen has been installed on a teak deck, not 'glass. not sure how well they would adapt to our boats..

I think the solution lies in the bracket that slides into the blocks on the boat. if the "wings" were a little thicker it might fit into the block on the transom better.

Sled491
05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Well we've heard 320 for SST customs, how much more could these from OJ cost. Did you notice it is only for MC, and SC boats. Does this mean we are the only ones with a removable platform? If so this could explain why others feel tight and ours have a tendancy to vibrate.

Bottom line for me is that when it's my turn to drive every 3rd day and the guys I ski with who all own MC's point it out as reason to discredit the quality of my boat it pisses me off because there is sooo much right with our boats that this issue should be that big of a wrong.

sandm
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
go look at the pin/bracket system on a malibu and you'll see where skiers shortcutted. theirs is soo much beefier and an overall better design. haven't spent much time looking at mc or tige or nautique, but they all have removable setups.

one solution is to figure out how to eliminate the slop as the bracket slides into the transom blocks, but I'm not sure how to get that done.

I agree with sled tho. it is without a doubt the biggest complaint I have about my boat.

mmandley
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
So has anybody seen OJ Props replacement / fold down brackets (http://www.ojprops.com/products/folddown_platform_bracket)? I'm thing one could remove all the factory stuff and replace with these.

This was talked about last summer in a thread also.

The main issue with it, it wont fit with the wake plate. It will hit the plate and still be hanging out farther then when its folded all the way down.

Id love to have something like this and it might even fit on the boat with it in the garage, but with the wake plate it will be at a 35% ish angle

Razzman
05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
This was talked about last summer in a thread also.

The main issue with it, it wont fit with the wake plate. It will hit the plate and still be hanging out farther then when its folded all the way down.

Id love to have something like this and it might even fit on the boat with it in the garage, but with the wake plate it will be at a 35% ish angle

Still better than 90 though! :p

viking
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I sense a group buy possiblility here??? :)