PDA

View Full Version : Engine hatch tray?

newty
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I noticed there is a large area that could be utilized in the engine comparment.
I think I've seen some Supras with them but don't recall where. Right above the exhaust collector you could have a tray the would sit on the aluminum rails and have a significant space to keep things, shower, ropes, etc. Thoughts?

newty
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Found it on the Supra site.
I think this would be a sweet little mod.
:p:pI think I'll build it out of MDF:p:p

brain_rinse
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
That's a great idea! Any extra storage space I can find is very valuable. Especially now that I added that bow sac...

newty
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
You plumb it in yet?

brain_rinse
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
You plumb it in yet?
Yep! Just need to post some pics... Tsunami 1200 to fill and an 800 on each leg to drain (new thru hulls).

kaneboats
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Hmm. Storage for dirty spatulas and kabobs for the grillobius model? Tackle box storage for guys that fish off their Moomba?

cab13367
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I like that Newty. Might have to act on that one.

I'm going to install some netting on that square indentation on the underside of the engine cover and then I'm going to put my sandwiches, pizza, fried chicken, etc., in there about 30 minutes before lunch time to get them heated up :)

Al

kaneboats
05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
That's what I was thinking! Put a hotdog or chicken rotisserie in there.

newty
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep! Just need to post some pics... Tsunami 1200 to fill and an 800 on each leg to drain (new thru hulls).

Yea you do!

Al, I've called for prices on the 1/2" poly board and they want $180 for a 4'x8' sheet, yikes! You know of any places that sell the stuff?

Razzman
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Make it out of aluminum and you have a food warmer! Yeah that's it! :p

NCSUmoomba
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I know that some of the Malibu's have that as well. I think it is a nice place to keep the rashguards or heater shirts early and late season to keep them warm between sets.

jester
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I like this idea. The engine temp gets too 180 and that is a good temp for a food warmer so we should be set.

Newty, I really do not like the price of $180 for the board. There is a place in Eugene that sales all sorts of plastic boards and I will give them a call this week for prices.

Razzman
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree with you. The problem with the moombas is that the engine is not that far below the hatch cover which eliminates a nice big tray. I know that on the 325 if you were to remove that big alien head shroud covering the entire engine you could design something to use all that front open space. But then your flame arrestor would be exposed. But i guess you could cover it somehow. Now the 340CAT could be a problem doing that as it uses a different manifold/intake design that protrudes out in front more.

newty
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Razz I'm refering to the rear of the compartment. Mines at least 6-8" deep and roughly 15" to the shroud on the motor. Would be a great place for a stern line, ropes, carrabiners, shower, etc. Prolly warm up if not dry a vest out pretty quick.

Razzman
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
The only prob i see with that is that you have to get way back in there? Maybe if it's executed well it won't be a bad reach.

While we're on this subject does anyone else have an issue with opening the engine hatch itself? Mine is offset ever so slightly where i have to pull up and to the starboard or the pylon scrapes the crap out of the vinyl in the cutout.

walb0244
06-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Here is my storage box for the engine compartment. I just got it built and haven't had a chance to get it installed. I'm hoping that it doesn't create problems for me with engine temps and all.

Any thoughts?

brain_rinse
06-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Perfect! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like installed. Maybe a couple of drain holes in the corners?

newty
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Here is my storage box for the engine compartment. I just got it built and haven't had a chance to get it installed. I'm hoping that it doesn't create problems for me with engine temps and all.

Any thoughts?

Yea... When you going to ship my mine? It was my idea you know!;)

walb0244
06-16-2010, 08:21 AM
The aluminum was $35 for it. Then the place charged me $30 to bend it. The box is made of 3 pieces. One piece looks like a piece of channel and then the other two pieces are the end pieces. So I had $65 in the metal. Then I had to get it welded together. Got it welded up for free. The box fit alittle tighter then I wanted it to so I had to do some grinding on the aluminum rails that run beside the motor. The rails on my boat get closer together as you go back to the back of the boat. Well I didn't notice that when I measured so my box fit too tight. I'll take pics when I get to work of the final install. All in all I'm happy. Now just to run it and see if I have issues. Anyone think that plastic would melt in this box?

walb0244
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Here are the pics. After I got it installed noticed that I hit 300 hours so due for 100 hour service. So had to take it back out. Hahahaha. Sorry for the quality. I'm not at home where the camera is so I had to use my camera phone. I used little clips from automobile use. They are the same type of clips that hold front bumpers and stuff on. Just plastic piece that goes in the hole and when you push the center in it pushes tight against the hole. LIke this because don't have to worry about rusting and was free. :D

NOTE: Be sure that when you measure that you allow space for error. I measured mine too tight. Had to take a grinder to the Aluminum Angle that runs down both sides of the engine.

brain_rinse
06-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that's awesome. I'll add it to the winter to-do list.

patrick232
06-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks, great I was thinking about making one out of plastic like the Malibu. Now if I could just get a meeting with the R&D group at Skiers Choice we could make this an option for everyone.

sandm
06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
to play devils advocate...

I have seen the ones that supra uses here at the dealer. they are somewhat small and not very deep. that one appears to be quite deep and takes up all the dead air behind the engine. wouldn't that area and air space be needed to help keep the engine somewhat cool on a hot day? I would think that the larger a space you can keep a running engine in, the better? would it not promote vapor lock sooner?

it's a nice design and looks to be very well built, but I would think that there's a lot of r&d and engineering that goes into placing something in the engine compartment?

again, just playing devils advocate :)

walb0244
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I was thinking that. We run the blower motor constantly pretty much. Also, with stuff being stored in it we will be opening the lid more too which should help with cooling the motor. I'm not really sure. We have gotten into the habit of opening the engine compartment and running the blower. We will see. ONly time will tell.

walb0244
06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Well guys. I just got done playing on the lake this weekend. Probably won't get to play today due to it being Father's Day. Well we put 7 hours on the boat over the coarse of Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday evening. Didn't play during the day Saturday because too crowded. So I just play in the morning and evening. Well the boat ran fine from what we can tell. Me and my Father-n-law kept an close eye on the temp guage because we didn't know what the aluminum try would do. Well like said earlier no issues. Boat ran like it normally does. Never went over 180.

Still debating on putting drain holes in it. Probably will but don't know there is a need for it right now. We ran the boat at first and I was cautious about putting ropes in the tray worried might get too hot. Well there was alittle bit of water in the tray at first. Next time I opened the engine compartment no water. I kept feeling the tray but it never felt hot. It felt warm but not hot. So I put two intertube ropes in the tray just after we got done using them. They dried out in about 15 minutes and no water in the tray. So I'm pretty happy with the try right now.

Only time will tell but right now I don't see any issues.

cab13367
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Well guys. I just got done playing on the lake this weekend. Probably won't get to play today due to it being Father's Day. Well we put 7 hours on the boat over the coarse of Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday evening. Didn't play during the day Saturday because too crowded. So I just play in the morning and evening. Well the boat ran fine from what we can tell. Me and my Father-n-law kept an close eye on the temp guage because we didn't know what the aluminum try would do. Well like said earlier no issues. Boat ran like it normally does. Never went over 180.

Still debating on putting drain holes in it. Probably will but don't know there is a need for it right now. We ran the boat at first and I was cautious about putting ropes in the tray worried might get too hot. Well there was alittle bit of water in the tray at first. Next time I opened the engine compartment no water. I kept feeling the tray but it never felt hot. It felt warm but not hot. So I put two intertube ropes in the tray just after we got done using them. They dried out in about 15 minutes and no water in the tray. So I'm pretty happy with the try right now.

Only time will tell but right now I don't see any issues.

Walb,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great place to prewarm towels, wetsuits, or lunch!

Al

walb0244
06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah. I made the joke I was gonna throw a ham and cheese sandwich in there and have a hot ham and cheese when i got done wakeboarding.

newty
06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Looks great bro! Can you post up final outside demensions?

As far as heat, I'll bet its a non-issue. Really that is already a tight space and if there was going to b heat issues you would have already had them.
Lake water seems to do the trick.:D

walb0244
06-21-2010, 05:36 PM
The box is 6" deep x 12" x 28 3/8" wide. My box was alittle too wide. So I would maybe just go with 28" wide and forget the 3/8 to give you some play. Also, from the controls for perfect pass to the transom was alittle tight. I had to drill holes in the tray to make room for the lag bolts that hold the aluminum frame work around the engine to the transom. Now when I put the box in the heads of the lag bolts come throught the holes in the back of the tray. So if you don't want to do that I would also take off about 1/2". So if I was to make a box again I would make it 6" x 11" x 28". That will give you some play area so it isn't so tight. Mine I had to do some grinding on to get it to fit. Double check these measurements with your engine compartment tho.