PDA

View Full Version : white smoke out exhaust....any worries?

polar21
05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Had some white smoke come out of the exhaust from the boat on Sunday. It was weird conditions with thick fog, not very sunny, and pretty windy. My gut tells me white smoke isnt that big of a deal, but just wanted to make sure. I know blue smoke and black smoke are bad....

dru1974
05-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I am not a mechanic, but black smoke means your to rich, blue and your valves or rings are week and white is not usually that good.
I hope its not a problem for ya

stretch55
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Had some white smoke come out of the exhaust from the boat on Sunday. It was weird conditions with thick fog, not very sunny, and pretty windy. My gut tells me white smoke isnt that big of a deal, but just wanted to make sure. I know blue smoke and black smoke are bad....

White like the white that comes out of your car exhaust? Thats normal. My boat does it to.

Razzman
05-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Was this your first time out this season? Did you have it winterized and stored? How long did it last, a few monoents? If all the above apply it was probably just burning off the fogging oil from winterization. If not then it may be something more serious.

I fired mine up in the driveway and smoked the neighborhood out for a few minutes on Saturday! :p

Mikes
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
It may be steam did you check the temp. gauge?

polar21
05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
This was not the first time we have taken it out this season and the temp gauge was reading normal (175). There was alot (and I mean ALOT) of moisture in the air. If you have ever felt humidity in Florida, then you know what I am talking about. It only did this starting off, ie pulling the skier out of the water. After that, everything was normal.

And yes, it looked like the white smoke that comes out of your car.

stretch55
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Mine does it very very minimal. Only at idle. White almost like steam. Disipates about 4"-5" from the water surface. Does it off and on. Only seen it do this on cool days.

maxpower220
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
We are having funky weather, your boat is probably fine. It is a combo of water temp, humidity, and your boat temp.

Just check your oil to make sure that you don't have oil/water mixing (that's bad).

Let me know if you need someone to go. I work a lot, but I go if I agree to go (no backing out).

mmandley
05-04-2010, 02:46 AM
White smoke is generally water of some sort in the exhaust.

These boats have water from the engine sent threw the exhaust so its very normal to see a bit of what appears to be white smoke from your exhaust. This is generally right after you start the boat and hit the throttle.

You will see it more when the water your boating in is cold. Its from the hot water from the engine exhausting into the cold lake or river water.

Was out Sunday with Al and air temp was 58 water temp was 54 and his boat did this everytime we shut the engine off a few minutes then started it back up and pulled someone up.

For the record yes i surfed in the 54 degree water and yes i trunked it. I was cold but not too cold to stay out of the water LOL.

kaneboats
05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Good for you! Way to go polar. White means moisture. If it's continuous you may have a problem. On a cool or humid/foggy day it is pretty common.

polar21
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Maxpower,
I might have to take you up on your offer sometime. Thanks for the comments everyone.