PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge

ward_knutson
07-07-2004, 12:19 AM
I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for the gas gauge on my 04 Outback. When the gauge shows it is running on empty the most I have gotten into it is 16 gallons. Is there any adjustment for the float level? I know it is better than if it was showing half a tank and I ran out but to be off by 12 gallons!!! This is a little rediculous. I am also a little curious about Skiers Choice monitoring this site. I have posted three basic questions and havent gotten a resonse from Brian Raymond yet!

waterboy
07-07-2004, 06:44 AM
I can picture Ed G. bristling as we speak ......care to field this one, Ed? :p

Livindadream
07-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Mine does the same thing. Have learned that at about 6 hours, time to fill up, and usualy get about 25 gallons in then. Still plenty left, but better safe than sorry.

SkiKY
07-07-2004, 04:29 PM
I've never seen a very accurate boat fuel gauge but they should work better than they do. If it’s imperative to know exactly how much fuel is left in the tank and you have given up on getting a reliable sending unit, a $100 fuel flow meter would solve your problem. You reset the meter when you fill up and it will tell you to the ounce how much fuel has left the tank since the last reset. If you program the capacity of your tank into the meter it will also tell you how much is left in the tank. However, if you forget to reset the meter on a fill up the meter would be virtually useless.

brentburtrum
07-19-2004, 02:43 PM
ED G does your boat normally run at 140 degrees? My dealer said that i have a 190 degree thermostat and my boat normally stays about 180 degrees. I have a 2004 LSV with the 320hp EFI motor. I also have a water stariner and am amazed at the stuff it picks up that could be going through the motor. About every 5 to 10 hours my filter is full of mud! It is muddy near my dock, but the rest of the lake is deep.

Brent Burtrum

07-19-2004, 07:52 PM
I also have a 04 LSV and it runs at 180 degrees. When the tank shows empty I have about 10 gallons left. I have a 29 gallon gas caddy so it works out ok.

Rusten
08-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi Ed G--
I was wondering what brand/type of water filter you purchased and where it can be purchased. You see, I fried a perfectly good engine, less than an hour after purchasing my 2000 Kanga w/94 hours; therefore, a filter on the intake was my top priority. Unfortunately, I'm not turning up many options.

The closest thing I've found are irrigation filters. A conventional home water/sediment filter is too fine, bilge/pump filters are often too narrow (1/2" inlets, etc).

After looking at literally dozens of stores and asking 20+ marine technicians about "inline" filters that would be (a) easy to change/clean/empty (b) allow high flow rates (c) allow primed flow-through -- primed/water-holding so that the impeller wouldn't burn out while initiating the flow (d) possibly clear, so that I could see when it required cleaning (d) not too big to fit in-line between the intake and the Transmission Oil Cooler ... The only thing I came up with are suggestions for irregation filters.

As we speak I am awaiting a quote for a "Rainbird RBY Commercial Filter" with 1.5" inlet/outlets with a 30 Mil screen. This is the best I've turned up so far, but I would prefer something simpler if it exists.

I am very eager to hear from someone who has successfully implemented a filter.

Thank you in advance,
-Rsuten

Rusten
08-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks Ed!

I wish I had that option. Moomba won't sell directly and I don't have a local dealer.

Can you give me an idea of what it looks like? Is it a clear, vertical tube (similar to a conventional water filter), or some sort of in-line apperatus like the disposable fuel filters? Do you have any idea what mesh screen it utilizes (e.g. 20,30,50,100)?

Thank you,
-Rusten

SkiKY
08-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Just do a search on 'inboard raw water strainer' and dozens of options come up. Here is a link to one sold by BOAT US:

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=13426

Rusten
08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Excellent - thanks for the tip. This is exactly the type of thing I was searching for, but couldn't find due to the incorrect terminology. "strainer" v. filter appears to make all the difference in the world!

Moomba99
09-13-2004, 12:15 AM
As far as your fuel gauge goes, I am not familiar with the 04's but I have a 99 and there is a issue with the fuel tank itself. It is shaped like the rear seat or an "L" shape. The fuel inlet and the breather tube are both mounted in the bottom half of the "L". This poses a problem when filling. When the fuel gets to the top half of the bottom of the tank, The air has nowhere to escape, causing the fuel to come back out of the fill tube. This would make you think you have just filled your tank right. But it was just yesteday you were on the river and ran all day and now you have only put 5 gallons back in the tank? Either your thinking something is really wierd or your getting great fuel economy. Truth is, Your only filling half your tank!! Try shaking your boat alittle after the pump shuts off. Youll notice you can get a little more fuel in after that.