PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting E-Brake on Burbs, Hos and Silverados

newty
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I and others have thought this info is important enough to post on its own thread so here you go. I imagine once people know its here it can be moved to the how to area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-PxtlaX6E
Here is the link on how to replace the E-brake pads/ring on tahoes burbs and silverado's.
These little gems I think are made of gold because they want close to $100 for a pair. :x
So before you go picking up a set try to adjust them. There is usually enough meat left on them to work for a while.
After you watch the whole video go to minute 3:00 on the video and look at the little cylinder that spreads the brake ring apart. You will see a little cogged ring, as you turn that depending on which way it will either adjust the breaks in or out. I don't recall which way you need to go but you have a 50/50 chance. You'll know soon enough. Once you know your going the right way make a few turns and slide the disc on. If its loose then take it off and adjust it again. Go until the there is just a little resistance sliding the disc back on. Why they don't address adjusting them is beyond me. I would imagine they want to sell you they're gold plated brakes.
The reason these go bad so quick is they are a really soft material made to bite hard on the drums. If you try to drive with the e-brake you will quickly destroy them. Even if they are a little out of adjustment, when you back down the ramp and hit the e-brake, the weight of the boat and trailer will make them slip. Everytime you do that they will get worse and worse.
If the wife likes to do try and drive with the e-brake on just tell her how much it is to fix. She will quickly stop doing it... Mine did!
Then I boldly said thank you Dear.:)

kaneboats
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I am going to try to take a look tonight. I remember reading a bunch of stuff on the parking brakes on these on chevytalk.com. I decided a wedge to put behind the wheel would be easier than fixing the defective system. But, since I'm the only one that drives the Suburban now, I may just see if they'll adjust out and work for a while.

kaneboats
05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Only half lucky. One side adjusted out fine. The other side is destroyed. I'll have to get a shoe kit. In the meantime at least I have half a parking brake.

newty
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Wasn't too bad of job huh?
In this case half lucky isn't going to help you, the brakes come in pairs.

kaneboats
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Well I haven't had the caliper bolts out in 5 years so other than one stuck pretty good it wasn't bad at all. I have an air impact so that speeds it up a bit. (The impact wouldn't get that last bolt though-- I had to put my makeshift breaker bar on it).