PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Cyclist? - WTB Shimano Dura Ace 8 Speed Shifters

RobertJ
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey guys I am on the hunt for some older Dura Ace brake lever/shifters. I have an older road bike with all Dura Ace and I currently have down tube shifters on it, the rear derailur is a 7402RD. I have been looking on Ebay (just missed some yesterday, out bid on last second). I would like to find some that have not been crashed.

I am hoping a fellow Moomba bud has a pair they took off their bike when they upgraded to 10 speed.

My goal is to put 1,200 miles on the road this year and I have already done over 300. I am hoping to get back on my road bike this summer and off my commuter bike.

Thanks

Waynes345
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey guys I am on the hunt for some older Dura Ace brake lever/shifters. I have an older road bike with all Dura Ace and I currently have down tube shifters on it, the rear derailur is a 7402RD. I have been looking on Ebay (just missed some yesterday, out bid on last second). I would like to find some that have not been crashed.

I am hoping a fellow Moomba bud has a pair they took off their bike when they upgraded to 10 speed.

My goal is to put 1,200 miles on the road this year and I have already done over 300. I am hoping to get back on my road bike this summer and off my commuter bike.

Thanks

Robert - If you aren't particular to Dura Ace, you could expand your search to include Ultegra. New Ultegra is a third of the price of Dura Ace and functionally, there is very little difference. My old Trek 2300 had 8-speed Ultegra that I upgraded to 9-speed. Now I am riding a Giant TCR0 with 9-speed Dura Ace. While Dura Ace is sweet, the Ultegra STI shifters would be a major upgrade from the Dura Ace down tube shifters. I've included a link to a compatibility table that you may find useful. I used to ride a lot and took a few years with less than 500 miles while building our cabin. Getting back into group rides this year and just starting to get my legs back under me.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

jeffrogge
05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
ALso keep an eye on bonktown.com. Sometimes they have a smoking deal. I 2nd the ultegra they are also more durable unless you are racing.