PDA

View Full Version : Pics From My Exile Install

jclevoy
05-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Many of you know that John (jonyb) has been doing an install for me. We have had a couple delays (mostly my fault) that have prolonged this process, but let me tell you.......It has been SO worth it after seeing his pics. He finished it yesterday, and I will be going up to get it later this week. Most of the placement of devices has been his vision, and I am SO HAPPY about how it has turned out.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8568.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8569.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8570.jpg

jclevoy
05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8572.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8573.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8574.jpg

jclevoy
05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8575.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8576.jpg

mmandley
05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Looks really tight man. Nice work JonyB and good looking amp racks JC

2007 Outback V
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Well done JonyB! Jclevoy, I'm sure that system is going to pound!

Only two Batts for four AMPs? Tell me more about these batteries?

viking
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Clean and tight! That came out Nice! I know your going to enjoy that on the water :)

dru1974
05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
One of the cleanest installs....If not the cleanest installs i have ever seen, it looks fantastick

jclevoy
05-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Well done JonyB! Jclevoy, I'm sure that system is going to pound!

Only two Batts for four AMPs? Tell me more about these batteries?

Check this out...........

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/spotlight/stinger-SPP2250.htm

Brianinpdx
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Jason - looks good. when you get it back, send me some highRez pics and we'll put you up on the Exile site. Should sound great! Sorry it took so long to get the box to you and it looks like Johnny did a great install over all. Tastefully done for sure!.

Cheers!

-Brian
Exile Audio

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
whats the two things down by your ballast switches?

brain_rinse
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Very nice install! I bet that setup can make your ears bleed...

jclevoy
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
whats the two things down by your ballast switches?

Are you talking about the Stinger amp-meters for the batteries???

jmvotto
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Jason,
Great looking install especially cuz of the color combo of the boat LOL.;)

That will sound great i am sure. How is the ws420 mounted under the dash? I have seen a couple supra mounts under the dash, but their dash is slightly different from the moomba. Also brainrinse did a great in dash mod which i am not brave enough to try for an eq. Thanks, any pics would be appreciated.

New Guy
05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Thats a sweet setup. Now its time to get out on the water.

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Are you talking about the Stinger amp-meters for the batteries???

yeah thats what i was referring to. so it just gives you a continuous readout of your batteries then so you know how much juice ya got in them or what exactly? not to sound so dumb just never seen that on any other boats. very nice install man!

mmandley
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
yeah thats what i was referring to. so it just gives you a continuous readout of your batteries then so you know how much juice ya got in them or what exactly? not to sound so dumb just never seen that on any other boats. very nice install man!

Thats exactly what it does bro. Its just a right now meter so you can check on your batteries. When the read out is getting in the low 11V range you know you need to consider charging as if it gets to 10.2 the amps power off. You will also be taxing your Alternator really bad.

jclevoy
05-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Thats exactly what it does bro. Its just a right now meter so you can check on your batteries. When the read out is getting in the low 11V range you know you need to consider charging as if it gets to 10.2 the amps power off. You will also be taxing your Alternator really bad.

In reading the owner's manual that came with my SPP2150 (the larger of the 2 batteries): This info is straight out of the manual.

12.85 Volts = 100% charge
12.5 Volts = 75% charge
12.2 Volts = 50% charge
11.9 Volts = 25% charge
11.6 Volts = 0%

John told me that it has been his experience that if you discharge one of these Stingers below the 25% level, then chances are that you have just ruined your battery. After this deep discharge, it will not hold a charge again. I don't plan to discharge mine below 12 Volts, and I plan to put them on the stinger chargers after each trip to the lake. They are on the charger right now.

newty
05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
You get it home and listen to it yet?

jclevoy
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
You get it home and listen to it yet?

Yes, it is at home. I brought it home on Friday. I was blown away by the sound. Is it loud? Absolutely. However, that was not the thing that struck me. The aspect that I was most impressed with was how clean it sounds at lower levels. I have heard of some systems that can really crank, but how they really don't sound that great when the listener has the system tuned to lower levels.

This is a good clean sound all the way up to the top. I also was rather impressed with the WS-420. There is a good deal of adjust-ability there, so that the user can fine tune the level of sound and the quality of sound. Sure the knobs could be made differently, but honestly.........I thought it was pretty good just the way it is made.

The two other things that just impressed the hell out of me was the recessed amp rack and the sub enclosure. John really outdid himself with this rack. It looks good in pictures, but it is unbelievable in person. It looks to be factory.

Props must be given to Brian and the Exile team for the design and then the execution of this enclosure. I worried a bit about the loss of leg-room, but it is not as bad as I thought it might be. I still have a decent place to put my feet. It is so worth it because this sub CRANKS in this enclosure.

I have learned a few things after going through this process. First, your head-unit is of little consequence. I didn't even replace mine from the factory Kenwood unit. I just really didn't see the need. Most of my music will be played from an Ipod Touch through the WS-420. The second thing that I learned is that your speakers are only as good and as loud as your the power you are pushing them with. No sense in having some 6 or 8 inch HLCD Tower speakers unless you are going to get the amps to push them. Same thing with the Sub. I must give Brian the credit in this department because he instructed me on exactly which amps to get to power what speakers. All I can say is that he did me right. The sound is so rich, there is no comparison to anything I have ever heard before.

Thirdly, pick the right installer. I shudder to think how this would have gone if I had used the first installer that I had initially chosen. It would have been more headaches, and it would NOT have turned out this way.

All in all........Let's just say I am one happy camper.

New Guy
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Awesome Jason, You did a great job on the system and I'm glad the experience was good.

mmandley
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
In reading the owner's manual that came with my SPP2150 (the larger of the 2 batteries): This info is straight out of the manual.

12.85 Volts = 100% charge
12.5 Volts = 75% charge
12.2 Volts = 50% charge
11.9 Volts = 25% charge
11.6 Volts = 0%

John told me that it has been his experience that if you discharge one of these Stingers below the 25% level, then chances are that you have just ruined your battery. After this deep discharge, it will not hold a charge again. I don't plan to discharge mine below 12 Volts, and I plan to put them on the stinger chargers after each trip to the lake. They are on the charger right now.

That fine for the Stinger, my recommendations for 10.2 is from what i recall Brian telling me about the Exile amps and then they will power off. Also a wet cell battery will keep playing your amps at 11 volts also.

Stingers are kinda like Lithium battery's in the fact they play full force until all the sudden they die. At least that's my understanding.

jclevoy
05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
That fine for the Stinger, my recommendations for 10.2 is from what i recall Brian telling me about the Exile amps and then they will power off. Also a wet cell battery will keep playing your amps at 11 volts also.

Stingers are kinda like Lithium battery's in the fact they play full force until all the sudden they die. At least that's my understanding.

I understand, and I wasn't disputing your numbers........I was just stating what the animal was that I was dealing with considering these stinger batteries. At their cost, I really don't want to screw one up.

I think they will be great as long as you are always diligent to take care of them. If you become lax, it might cost a person a pretty penny.

mmandley
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I understand, and I wasn't disputing your numbers........I was just stating what the animal was that I was dealing with considering these stinger batteries. At their cost, I really don't want to screw one up.

I think they will be great as long as you are always diligent to take care of them. If you become lax, it might cost a person a pretty penny.

You got that right sir. I have been considering these batteries to power my system as its similar to yours only 3 amps instead of 4. My big concern is the discharging them part LOL. I try to be diligent at plugging back into the house when i get home but then again sometimes if i know im going right back out i cant. Unless i run a cord across the street lol. I have finicky neighbors, or jealous ones IDK. Some days i can park here, some days i cant. Each day of the week literally is a different area in my cud a sac i can park unless i break the tower down and park it in the garage.

jclevoy
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
You got that right sir. I have been considering these batteries to power my system as its similar to yours only 3 amps instead of 4. My big concern is the discharging them part LOL. I try to be diligent at plugging back into the house when i get home but then again sometimes if i know im going right back out i cant. Unless i run a cord across the street lol. I have finicky neighbors, or jealous ones IDK. Some days i can park here, some days i cant. Each day of the week literally is a different area in my cud a sac i can park unless i break the tower down and park it in the garage.

Jonyb swears that I should be able to listen to the stereo and only recharge after a full weekend, or after every-other trip to the lake. I will keep you updated how they hold-up. Goodness knows they should perform for the price that they charge for them.

mmandley
05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Yea that's whats holding me back LOL. I got 3 deep cycle marines right now. They been holding up decent with my punishment but id like the high-end batteries instead. Better peace of mind. I know if i spent that money on those Claudia would give me a the stink eye for sure right now. She has taken my bank card away LOL

Razzman
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
She has taken my bank card away LOL

As well she should! :p :p

moombadaze
05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
. She has taken my bank card away LOL

About time. Seriously-you need to marry that girl, she sounds like a keeper

jclevoy
06-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Yea that's whats holding me back LOL. I got 3 deep cycle marines right now. They been holding up decent with my punishment but id like the high-end batteries instead. Better peace of mind. I know if i spent that money on those Claudia would give me a the stink eye for sure right now. She has taken my bank card away LOL

Just wanted to give an update on actual performance of the new system. This setup absolutely POUNDS on the water. I had never really thought about it until I started talking to Brian (Exile) about the different components, but there is no sense in buying a good sub or tower speakers unless you are going to power them sufficiently with good Amps. 1 or maybe even 2 Amps is not enough to power an entire system IMHO. POWER is everything.

I had thought about changing the stock head-unit, but I decided against it. In retrospect, I am glad that I didn't waste my money. The head-unit is fine and the speakers sound great with it. And this is the inexpensive stock Kenwood head unit. Also, we are primarily plugging an Ipod into the back of the WS-420 for most of our music.

I was a little apprehensive about only having only 2 batteries for the boat. Let me tell you...........The combination of the Perko switch and the Volt meters have set my mind at ease. I thought that it would be necessary to trickle charge the Stinger batteries after each use while the boat is in storage, or at least after 2 trips to the lake. I don't believe that will be the case. I keep the Perko on the number "2" setting (alternator charging the big battery during operation of the boat--and this is the battery that powers the stereo), and the battery has been holding a charge amazingly well. We typically swim in a cove for a couple hours, and then do watersports for about the same amount of time alternating back and forth until we get bored and go home. I can't imagine why some of these high-end systems have 6 or 8 Optima batteries unless they are sitting in a cove all day long. After a couple hours of sitting, the battery hasn't dropped below 75% charge, and then it fully (or close to it) recharges during our operating time. This setup will work perfectly for our typical lake activities.

After a few trips to the lake, I was pleasantly surprised by 2 things.......... regarding the system. The Sub and the WS-420. The Sub absolutely pounds. When sitting in the driver's seat, my feet are not inhibited by the sub enclosure at all, and the sub is so loud that it will make the hair on my arms dance while seated in the driver's seat.

I don't know why some people don't like the WS-420. I find that it works incredibly well for my application. No distortion or feedback whatsoever when using the microphone and it has just enough adjustments to make the stereo sound great, but not so many that it is difficult to use. Sure the nobs could be different, but I don't find that I am adjusting things that much to make them difficult to use. I love the WS-420.

bbyquist
06-13-2010, 03:19 AM
I just picked up my boat today with pretty much the same system (my install isn't as fancy though). There are a lot of things I would like to say about this system but most of them are expletives. I can't believe how loud and how clean it sounds!!!

I totally agree on the "power is everything" statement. I wasn't convinced at first that systems like this need AGM batteries, but after hearing it I am sold. I currently have one Kinetik HC2000 and will be adding another before the summer is over. Can't wait to hit the water tomorrow. New thread with pics of the install coming soon...

loudsubz
06-13-2010, 11:02 AM
looks great man

EarmarkMarine
06-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Relating to shore charging keep this in mind. The deeper you cycle your batteries, the fewer cycles you'll get over the battery's lifespan. And, its not a linear equation. At half cycles you'll get way more than double the number of deeper full cycles. Also, leaving a battery in a discharged state (even partial) accelerates the degradation. There's no memory effect on these type of batteries so there's no downside to an immediate recharge after a partial depletion whether its by your alternator or shore charger. The point is to get your batteries on a smart charger the minute you put your boat into storage each and every time. Things may look okay now but your battery(s) amp/hour capacity may look much different from the factory specs after a single season.

David
Earmark Marine

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Relating to shore charging keep this in mind. The deeper you cycle your batteries, the fewer cycles you'll get over the battery's lifespan. And, its not a linear equation. At half cycles you'll get way more than double the number of deeper full cycles. Also, leaving a battery in a discharged state (even partial) accelerates the degradation. There's no memory effect on these type of batteries so there's no downside to an immediate recharge after a partial depletion whether its by your alternator or shore charger. The point is to get your batteries on a smart charger the minute you put your boat into storage each and every time. Things may look okay now but your battery(s) amp/hour capacity may look much different from the factory specs after a single season.

David
Earmark Marine

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Tyger
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
It looks really, really sharp. You should have upgraded the factory remote to the LCD version while you were at it, though. It would complete the driver cockpit setup, IMO. Of course, I would have also gotten a head unit with iPod control so you can run that from the driver seat.

Then again, we usually run with 2 or 3 people.

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
It looks really, really sharp. You should have upgraded the factory remote to the LCD version while you were at it, though. It would complete the driver cockpit setup, IMO. Of course, I would have also gotten a head unit with iPod control so you can run that from the driver seat.

Then again, we usually run with 2 or 3 people.

I need to repost a picture or two my music source and how I have it set-up. I don't even use my head unit. In fact, the remote is useless for me. Actually, I prefer it that way. I have an ipod touch that I have mounted to my windshield via a suction cup mount. Using an auxillary cable, I run the ipod through the WS420. I have several playlists compiled on the ipod with several different types of music and then choose which playlist based on my mood. If someone new is on the boat with us, they are urged to bring their ipod with their compiled playlist. Once the music is playing, I just let it play for hours without need of changing anything except the volume level of the cabins, the towers, or adjusting the sub volume via the WS420. The simple volume control on the remote is insufficient with as loud as this system is. Depending on whether we are surfing or wakeboarding it is necessary to adjust the level of the cabins or the towers independently. I am constantly adjusting those 3 components..........Towers, Sub, and Cabins.

I couldn't be happier with my current set-up. A new head-unit would have been a waste of money IMHO. Honestly, the WS-420 is a MUST. But then, different strokes for different folks. Believe me.........All options were discussed at length with John before the install took place. He recommended NOT changing out the head unit, and plugging an ipod into the WS420. I am glad that he did recommend this set-up because I love it.

cab13367
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8574.jpg

I got one of these voltage displays (just one) and am thinking about where to install it. I looked at installing it where you did but it seems that I would hit the gauge with my knuckles whenever I dump the throttle. What has your experience been?

Thanks,

Al

Canuckle Head
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8575.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8576.jpg

How did you get your speaker wires up your tower without having to drill additional holes like cab13667 did?

cab13367
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
How did you get your speaker wires up your tower without having to drill additional holes like cab13667 did?

I'm guessing the wires jump from the front tube to the rear tube outside the tower but we just can't see it in this pic. Or he covered the hole up with the warning sticker (I should have done that!).