PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lights?

2007 Outback V
05-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Trailer turn signals and brake lights working fine. Regular driving lights not working, no side markers, no tail lights, no lights by the prop. Everything worked fine last year? I don't have a clue where to start on this one? I looked to see if anything obvious was disconnected from swinging the tongue away during storage, nope - nothing that I could see.

Anyone good with trailer lights?

james yarosz
05-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Since none of the running lights work I would start by checking for a blown fuse on the tow vehicle.

mmandley
05-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Grab a test light, then turn the tow vehicle lights on. Check with a test light till you find the contact for the running lights.

Match this connector to that connector it is in the trailer harness.

Now run a jumper to the trailer connector pin for the running lights. If they light then you know its the connection between the truck and trailer.

If nothing happens, then pull the harness back from the connector and tap directly into the trailer running light circuit. If it works then the trailer harness plug is bad.

If still not working then look for the common ground on the trailer for a bad connection.

If thats not working let me know what you found so fare. I can help ya troubleshoot it as fare as needed.

Good news is the whole thing doesn't work. That means its a common point to the whole circuit not a single light problem.

This year when i connected my trailer up all the lights worked but i had no left turn signal. Ended up being a bad connection at my trailer to truck harness. I had to clean the trailer plug contacts and its been fine.

2007 Outback V
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Blown fuse was the problem. Easy fix, thanks guys. Test light had no power to lights connector, looked for the fuse. Fuse ended up being in the engine compartment, man these new vehicles have a lot of fuses!!! LOL

2007 Outback V
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Well this weekend fuse blew for trailer running lights again!! Turn signals and brake lights still working as before. Replaced fuse, lights worked, for about 10 sec, then blew fuse. Repeated this process a few times looking for troubles, blowing a few more fuses. I saw that right front sidemarker was not lighting, while all the others were lighting (well for a few secs until the fuse would blow). Come to find sidemarker light somehow disconnedted and was grounding on trailer. What gives, I have no clue how that happend :confused:

Anyway, everything works good now. Just wanted to let others know what to look for if this happens to them. Still an easy fix :D

kaneboats
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing. Those things are supposed to be simple but can be very time consuming.