PDA

View Full Version : Amp Ground & ppwer wires?

jmvotto
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
When i add my 2nd amp this weekend 1st is a jl m 6600 and the second is a kicker zx 450.2 do i run a dedicated ground back to the battery from each amp, or can i "jump" the ground from one anp to the other then to the battery.

Also for power i was going to run 4 ga to the distribution block then run short 8 ga wires to each of the amps. any problems with that??

brain_rinse
04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Can't jump across amps - you'll need a dedicated ground the same size as the power wire. And you can use a distribution block for the ground, just as you described for the positive if that's easier.

Razzman
04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
For short runs and not a real high output system run at least 4 gauge power and ground wires to a distribution block. From there seperate power and grounds to each amp of at least 8 gauge wire and you'll be ok.

Put a fuse (thermal or traditional) matching or slightly higher than the combined capacity of both amps 12-18" between the positive terminal and dist block.

Here's a fused style distribution block (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fused-Power-Distribution-Block-2-4-8-Gauge-Amp-Install-/380204517881?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5885f489f9). you'll need at least 1-4ga in / 2-8 ga out.

jmvotto
04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Jl states this for the amp
4-gauge power and ground leads and a 60-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 60-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and amplifier is recommended

Kicker states it has

2-Channel amplifier with two 30A ATC blade fuses inserted

I have a 100 amp inline fuse do i need a 150??

Razzman
04-30-2010, 11:55 PM
So you've got a combined of 120 if i'm reading you correctly. I would think a 120-130 would be fine but let me double check that.

If the JL amp is un-fused I personally would run a dist block like the one i showed with seperate inline fuses for each 8ga out power wire. So a 60a fuse on each side of the dist block.

zabooda
05-01-2010, 01:28 AM
This chart came in handy when doing some wiring.

http://www.affordable-solar.com/wire.charts.htm

you da man
05-01-2010, 05:07 AM
I also have the JL 6600 amp, very nice amp...it does get warm though even at low volume.

mmandley
05-01-2010, 09:11 AM
When i add my 2nd amp this weekend 1st is a jl m 6600 and the second is a kicker zx 450.2 do i run a dedicated ground back to the battery from each amp, or can i "jump" the ground from one anp to the other then to the battery.

Also for power i was going to run 4 ga to the distribution block then run short 8 ga wires to each of the amps. any problems with that??

As Razz said, best bet is run 4 gauge to the power distro block, 8 gauge is fine for a short run.

Personaly id run 4 gauge to the amps and 4 gauge to the distro block as my weakest point. The distro block really wants to see a 2 gauge line if your running amps with a 4 gauge.

Depending on where in the line your fuses are depends on how big you want. Add all the fuses up on your amps and this is the size the main power from the batter needs on it. If you have a main fise on your distro then a 120 is what you want. You can go 150 but your risking a 130 or 140 amp draw to pass the distro and hit the amps.

If you have a fused distro where the fuses is on each leg of the wire to the amps then you need a fuse the size of the total of 1 amps fuses. 60 amps in this case.

Pic 1 shows my Distro with fused lines to each amp and the main line to the distro is fused as well.

This is more protection then you need but i dont like risking my gear.

cab13367
05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Joe,

Follow razz's advise and have a dedicated 60 amp fuse on each power cable after the distro block since your JL does not have an on board fuse. I have the same jl amp and a zx700.5 and that's what I did.

I ran 4 gauge from the distro block to each amp and I think 1 ga from the distro to the battery. I calculated the cross sectional area of 4 ga wire then used the size cable that was 2x that area for the distro block to the batt. Overkill probably but I did not want to starve my amps for juice.

Al

jmvotto
05-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Do the negatives follow the same route into and out of the dist block. ( ie 4 ga in two 8 ga out, our can i just do 4 ga in two 4 ga out.

Razzman
05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
All the better Joe with 4ga in/out for both power and ground. The bigger gauge will help reduce power drop. On a very short run to the amp it's not a big deal but it sure won't hurt. Whatever gauge you do for one then do for the other. :D

brain_rinse
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Not sure on your setup, but for me with the batteries right by the amps I had no need for a distribution block. I just went 4ga amp to battery on both amps.

mmandley
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Brain your correct you dont need the distro blocks for the short runs like mine even. I used the distro blocks because i didn't want 6 amps lines running to a battery.

You have to look at your power and ground lines like a water line. Your flowing current instead of water.

If you got 2 2inch lines flowing water and you Y them into a 2 in single line then what happens? You have back up in your lines. You run the same 2 2inch lines into a Y with a 4inch outlet and what happens? It flows with no issues.

This is the hole idea behind amps and wiring them with a 4 gauge line and a 2gauge supply to the distro. If you are running a 4 gauge line to your distro point and then 2 more 4 gauge lines off the same distro then in fact your asking the battery to supply 2x the current threw the 4 gauge line into the distro.

My system is running 3 4gauge lines out of the distro and i have the option to add a 4th. So i went with a 1o gauge line to the distro from the battery. This is also because im not sure my batteries are going to stay where they are. I might be moving them once i get dry cell or gell cell batteries. I left my system options for more expansion.

cab13367
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Not sure on your setup, but for me with the batteries right by the amps I had no need for a distribution block. I just went 4ga amp to battery on both amps.

I did the same - 4 ga from each amp direct to the battery on the negatives, 4 ga from the battery switch direct to the battery on the positives, with a resettable fuse on each positive wire. Then I went 1/0 gauge or maybe it was 2/0 from the switch to the battery as I could not find 1 gauge.

jmvotto
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Anyone know what is in the channel behind the spotter seat besides the fresh air vent to the engine. is it something you can screw into at all?

Razzman
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Joe if you talking about the big wide vertical channel against the hull then yes, it's hollow.

jmvotto
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Razz, , yep that's the channel.

as always thanks