PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys gym rats?

you da man
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Just wondering how many of us go to the gym and/or some kind fitness training like cycling or running. Personally, I go to the gym 4-5 days per week with cardio/ab work 2 days per week. Anyone take any pre-workout supplements? I highly recommend Jacked or Superpump 250. Jacked diffenately gives you a buzz but kinda makes you tingle. Superpump 250 gives you a different type of buzz, more euphoric but both get you in the mood to try and lift a truck.

mmandley
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I hit the gym the 3 or 4 times a week pretty steady now. I go on an off. I go a few months then stop. Right now im trying to go 3 to 4 times a week, i lift weights for all upper body, then work the stair machine for cardio for as long as i can handle it or 30 minutes depending on time.

I just started using super pump 250 i like it a lot. Nice wake up and get ya in the mood. I only use like 3/4 scoop when i use full scoop im still wired after the work out but im exhausted LOL.

cab13367
04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
No gym and no supplements for me. I stay in shape by playing sports and running. Right now, my weekly routine is an ice hockey game, 2 hrs of full court pick up basketball, and a one hour run. In the winter, I add skiing and snowboarding a couple times a month. In the summer, I add tennis and mtn biking and of course, boarding and surfing.

Sports are and always have been my vice :) I used to be a gym rat when I was single but gave it up shortly after I got married. I guess it was a means to an end :).

These days, I find that playing sports is a much more fun way to stay in shape.

Al

graybmg
04-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Ed G,

Wow, you are what I aspire to be. In a slump at the moment. Can't manage past 3 5-mile runs per week. Tomorrow though, I'm going to take the weekend run up a notch to 6 miles. Sunday bike ride, but the weather here looks like shite for the weekend so not much skiing.

viking
04-30-2010, 10:08 PM
5 days a week either first thing in the morning or over the lunch hour. Both freeweights and cardio. Been Doing it for years. My metabolism is high and I eat whatever and whenever I want.

No supplements at all except for a little creatine every now and then.

Sled491
04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Would like to but no time. Was running very regularly until I came off the road. I do ski every day, and am very physical at work (keeps the guys working hard when the boss lets them know he can still set the pace :) ).

No upper body strength issues, or legs for that matter, but in the middle all hell breaks loose. Not fat just not cut, then again I'm 44, oh well.

cab13367
04-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Just got back from a 7 miler, my weekly run. That's all I can stand, sometmes twice a week. Otherwise, it becomes a chore.

Ed, u are hardcore!

Al

zabooda
05-01-2010, 12:37 AM
B-ball on Fridays, Dirt bike riding on Saturdays and mountain biking on Sundays. Recovery from Monday through Thursday. No supplements or energy drinks except Gatorade.

you da man
05-01-2010, 05:02 AM
I can't believe most don't take some kind of supplements if you're actually going to the gym. I'm not talking about some GH products or testosterone "enhancers", just creatine, glutamine, BCAA's, and of course protein powders. I'm 38yrs old and a very hardgainer. I can eat anything as well and not gain anything if I wasn't working out. It takes me a month to maybe gain a 2-3 pounds and thats with eating 4-5 small/med meals a day (healthy snack in between) plus 3 protein shakes.

zabooda
05-01-2010, 05:51 AM
you da man you are fortunate as most people have a tough time keeping weight off. I guess I do take a supplement its a One-A-Day 50+ and it does help me. My body is changing faster than I can keep up. I change sports as my body can no longer tolerate the pounding of the hardwood floor but I keep playing but at a much reduced pace. I took glucosamine for a long time but it didn't seem to help any.

Here is what's in the pill:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: One tablet

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Total Carbohydrate < 1 g < 1%*
Vitamin A
(20% as beta-carotene) 2500 IU 50%
Vitamin C 60 mg 100%
Vitamin D 700 IU 175%
Vitamin E 22.5 IU 75%
Vitamin K 20 mcg 25%
Thiamin (B1) 4.5 mg 300%
Riboflavin (B2) 3.4 mg 200%
Niacin 20 mg 100%
Vitamin B6 6 mg 300%
Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 25 mcg 417%
Biotin 30 mcg 10%
Pantothenic Acid 15 mg 150%
Calcium (elemental) 120 mg 12%
Iron 0 mg 0%
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Magnesium 100 mg 25%
Zinc 22.5 mg 150%
Selenium 110 mcg 157%
Copper 2 mg 100%
Manganese 4 mg 200%
Chromium 180 mcg 150%
Molybdenum 90 mcg 120%

Ginkgo Biloba Extract (leaf) 120 mg **
Lycopene 300 mcg **

I can't remember what the Ginkgo Biloba Extract is for (ha ha).

LURK19
05-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Man if I didn't train/workout I wouldn't be married and I wouldn't have 3 kids (or they wouldn't survive). It's my stress relief and I love it. 5-6 days a week, every month, every year forever!

Ice hockey (once a week) all year round. Like Cab13367 said there is nothing better than sports - true competition against others, test your skills, aggressive, winners and losers. In a hockey game I can "pop" somebody in the back of the head for running their mouth or getting a little too friendly with their stick. That's 2 minutes in a box. In the real world you just can't do that.

I usually workout in cycles. Eliptical/stationary bike & free weights at the gym - winter. Running (w/some races), flip a tractor tire, throw logs around - Summer. Lots of core work through out the year. You need to change it up or A) You'll get bored and B) Your body will adapt and you won't see increasing benefits aerobically and strength.

Right now I'm doing P90X - highly recommend it! I will say it's not for the meak, there is a time commitment, the work outs are not easy. But gauranteed you will be physically prepared for anything: wakeboarding inverts and jumps, any sport, swinging a hammer, carrying shingles up a ladder, you name it.

Supplements:
Huge doses of MSM, Glucosamine (bad knee, arthritis)
Glutamine
Occasionally Creatine
Flinstone Vit
Some others not related to working out too
Lots of: Myoplex Lite protein shakes & Pure Protien bars

moombabound
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Ah, yes, summer again (well, except that overnight there was an inch of snow, but soon!). Back onto the Moomba forum for the first time since the fall.

I keep generally tight through resistance training 3+ days a week. The only way I can do cardio is via lacrosse and ice hockey. Tried running, got about a block and returned home, boring as heck. Don’t know how I used to do it, but that was 30 years ago.

I was never into abs whatsoever. Then I became a water skier in my mid-40’s and henceforth became obsessed with it. I read that the pros focus their training on their core. So, monkey see - monkey do. Took after the core, and it’s interesting to have some firmness in places I’ve never experienced! But my purpose in replying to the post is that in the course of researching core exercises, I found much criticism of sit-ups, regarding their detriment to the lower back. As I was doing 100-200 of various types of sit-ups per day, this got my attention quickly. I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDZRogSbbU, this illustrated/narrated simple set you can do in front of the TV without hardly raising your pulse. Do them with purpose and I guarantee your guts will ache. There is scads of info on the net about core exercises, so you can add as you wish.

Also around this time of year, in the gym I put an emphasis on ski-oriented lifts, simply grabbing a cable machine handle and pulling the weight to your hip while standing perpendicular to the cable machine in a water ski stance. Start with one hand – full arm extension, and add the other hand slalom-undergrip as you draw the handle in (careful your feet don’t slide out. I use a board between my feet and the machine base).

Anyhow, now the ice is off, and if it would ever warm up here, I will be curious to see if the improved core will allow me to ski longer prior to tiring, which is my objective.

Good thread. Thanks for the info in the supplements. I’ve been leery of those boosters, but some days I could sure use a kick start. And congrats on the P90X; most folks crap out on that…I’ve been pondering it, but don’t think I could make the commitment.

So, I think one needs a purpose to work out, and mine is slalom (plus keeping up with my kids).

Jeff W
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Lifetime gym rat here..

I'm a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fighter, I'm a Crossfitter, I'm a weight lifter at Bally's and I run 5k's and 10k's if I have time in the summer..

I'm also Paleo.

ausbill32
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
At age 37 I don't always like to do the same things every week as I get bored. I'm also stuck in the office all day so when I'm off work I like to be outside not stuck in the gym.

- wakeboarding/camping on the weekends now that it's warm and I have a boat again
- two or three 4 mile hikes with 50lb ruck during the week (training for a 5 day hiking trip to Peru this coming August)
- gym 1-2 days (mixture 1 hour weights and 1 hour cardio eliptical, running, or bike)
- I run outdoors 4-5 miles when I feel the urge
- Flyfishing on the weekends is fun as I generally trek a good 4-6 miles over the course of morning through water.

yearround
05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
i don't do too well in the gym, never derived much enjoyment from it.

i do run 5-6 days per week averaging about 50 miles per week, usually a 20+ mile run on the weekend. i usually don't use any supplements to run, hammer products for fuel and recovery after run.

usually race 1x per month 10k to 50m, occasionally do a 5k if i don't have to pay for it.

of course wake board and ski 2-3x per week too!

David Davidson
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I have been doing the P90X workout for a couple of weeks now. Before that I lifted weights 4 times a week for the last two years. I just drink protine shakes becuase the pre-workout suppliments make me puke and feel ill.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
David, you will enjoy the P90X workouts. They are the first "fad" workout that I have found is worth a dam*.

The prob with asking about who trains and what they do is too broad of a question. EVERYONES GOALS ARE DIFFERENT!

I am in a mini hiatus right now, but on Mondays, I usually train shoulders and chest, This is usually a mix of wide grip weighted belt pull ups (some with a wide outside grip and closegrip palms facing pull ups), regular bench, hammer strength bench, slow dumbell flys, and finally some close and wide grip bench.
Tues: Back and biceps. This is usually deadlifts, close grip bar to chin ups,dumbbell single arm lifts while leaning on a bench. Then some light super 6s with a 10lber for each shoulder.
Wed: Legs baby. I mix up some squats, dead lifts, calf raises, lunges and finish the ole hamhocks off with some hack squats. Thursday is rest day, Friday I get after chest again. lots of decline bench movements. Some dumbbell and some straight bar. I also include barbell weighted calf raises and then some slow concentration curls.

After all of this,there should be at least 20 minutes of doing nothing but stretching excersises.

Finally, I like to polish off a good workout at least 3 times a week with some stadium stair running.

Diet? Eat as much lean meat as you can stomach (precook a 12 pack of chicken on Sunday to serve later) Then you have to be sure to get your greens in.
Snacks? Almonds.....Beef jerky....Blackberries, and a few bananas.

Supplements? I enjoy L-Argenine, a Mens total Vit, tons and i MEAN TONS of water, and creatine but only the water soluable kind so you do not have to bloat.

Weekends? Just be active with your family and friends. I like to hunt, and that helps me do a lot of easy cardio during my scouting. Plus......THE BOAT!!!

Obviously the routine changes on whether I am trying to bulk or trim.

You guys are getting me motivated to get back into Prime A Beef shape. The wifey has been seeing this really intense woman trainer who has made all ripped up....So I have some catching up to do. :)

sailing217
05-06-2010, 09:41 AM
35yrs old and a runner. I was doing 3-5 miles 5+ days a week and lifting after my runs but was just burning off everything. I now run twice a week and lift 3 other days and take GNC extreme suppliments, protein shake, and creatine for the past 3 months.

My weight has remained the same now instead of dropping, but if I could cut out a few beers once a week I would probably have the full 6-pack for the first time in my life. We've always eaten pretty clean and I've added eating breakfast and it's cut the portions of my lunch/dinner naturally.

I've done the same workout a few years ago without any suppliments and they do help in what they say, more muscle, more cut, more pre-workout energy, faster recovery blah blah. I'll drop off the suppliments after summer and pick it back up in the Springtime. I'm getting close to the best looking shape of my life and sit behind a desk all day

Sled491
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Time time time, running a business 3 kids, one who trains at 10 yrs old to compete nationaly just no time for me. It was easier when I was on the road all the time. I would hit the gym of whatever city I was in 4 or 5 times a week. Funny though, I didn't drop any weight until I got off the road last summer? Dropped 20 lbs in like 2 mnths just skiing.

jmvotto
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Time time time, running a business 3 kids, one who trains at 10 yrs old to compete nationaly just no time for me. It was easier when I was on the road all the time. I would hit the gym of whatever city I was in 4 or 5 times a week. Funny though, I didn't drop any weight until I got off the road last summer? Dropped 20 lbs in like 2 mnths just skiing.

Sled, right on, two homes, 4 kids three dogs, run of business of 22 employees. I am lucky to hit the gym 3 times during my lunch hr per week for 30 min. That said protein shake for breakfast, protein bar at lunch, whatever i want for dinner and i have dropped 20 lbs. I have the p90x in the basement which i really want to start, but have not found an hr a day to committ to it.:mad: i will get there. I geuss i could just sell the lake house and moomba to make more time.... NOT

jbheuerman
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey Everybody,

My wife and I are both personal trainers and we own and operate our own fitness center. Its great to see everyone is committed to a healthy lifestyle. Staying fit and healthy is not only a necessity for our jobs, as we try our best to set an example for so many of our clients and members, but also a great way to better prevent injuries and sickness throughout the year. The older you get the more you realize the truth in living a healthy lifestyle.

I'm not a meathead but do spend 5-6 days a week in the gym with strenuous workouts. I do not promote or recommend any kind of illegal steroid or even most of the legal one's for that matter. I'm a regular guy, trying to stay fit and promote fitness. I usually stay on a 6-meal a day, high protein diet. I do supplement with multi-vitamins and L-glutamine, which I believe every person should.

Working out for wake boarding/skiing is a necessity for me. Besides helping to prevent injuries, just having your muscles trained to handle the beating and stresses any sport will put on them is an advantage.

Working out has always been a part of my life, and I hope everyone continues to push themselves to that next level, whatever it may be.

On the road to success, there are no shortcuts!

KurtL
05-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Guys thinking of starting p90x it's a great program, but truly a 90 minute commitment per day. Hard to do as others say running a business, keeping up multiple properties, volunteer activities, kids etc etc. I found that I was in the best overall shape of my life but burnout rate high after. Too much on the plate to keep up that type of time commitment. If only there were 30 hours per day;)

jbheuerman
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree KurtL, p90x is definitely a major commitment, however, 30 hours in a day is still not enough for my schedule.

LURK19
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
BullDawg stadium running! - Nice. I like your other workouts too, pretty much what I was doing before giving P90X a go. Jeff W you got to be in great shape with the Brazilian Jui Jitsu and Crossfit daily - Crossfit is crazy! I mean that in a good way. Some of you others might like it (less time). There is also I think it is Crossfitfitness.com a scaled back version of Crossfit. For you iphone users there is 365workouts - no wights, similiar to the other two. Good real world stuff.
I have to agree with BullDawg the Question is about Goals and Priorities. Each of us trains or works out for different reasons (Goals). Each of us dedicate or commit the time needed to reach those goals (Priorities).
Not to offend anyone but the "no time" excuse is just that an excuse. If by "no time" you mean my priority for training is lower than A,B or C that's fine that is where you are at and what you need to do. I have found, personally and with others once you right your priorities in order the "time" aspect goes away. All of a sudden the TV time or sleeping in on weekends, etc. frees up for a higher priority like training/losing weight/better health.

FYI: In case you think I don't have a clue on time restrictions. I have 18 employees in 3 offices, 3 kids (2 in soccer & dance, 1 in swimming, 1 in cheerleading and the last one is under 4) and a wife (owner of the business as well) that sees patients 50+ hrs a week.

brad460
05-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Many years of racing motocross and snowmobiles really took a toll on my body; I am 36 now and there was a point in my life (2 years ago) when everything on my body was sore from all the knee surgries, broken bones, and just wear and tear. That is when I got really dedicated to lifting and cardio. I lift 3x a week, been running the 5x5 (Bill Starr program) which sticks to the core lifts (bench, squat, deadlifts, bent over rows, military press) and ride the stationary bike 3x a week. I can finally get out of bed pain free and walk up stairs without my knees aching. I have tons of energy again along with 30 less pounds of fat around my waist! I am addicted...

Sled491
05-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey Brad what lake are you on? I think we are practically neighbours, not to mention we seem to have a lot of shared history!

brad460
05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
We mostly go out on Okauchee...bought a season pass from Golden Mast this year so now we don't have to worry about not being able to get on the lake!

How about yourself?

Sled491
05-15-2010, 04:44 PM
My wifes uncle has a place on Okauchee right out side the channel down from the golden mast. We're on lower Nemhabin, on the big island on the east side. When you drive down 94 you see a bright Yellow lift canopy on the south side of the highway, that's us.

rdlangston13
04-04-2013, 12:09 AM
So I saw an article recently. Some high school kid down here in the lone star state set a new bench press record for Texas high schools. 705 lbs....in freaking high school!

Sent from my iPhone

Canuckle Head
04-04-2013, 01:24 PM
I am presently in week 6 of the insanity workout. Needless to say my cardio is waaay up. Oh, I also swim 2km 3 times per week in a 50m pool, surf when I can and mountain bike in the wintertime. I stopped running when i started insanity as the workouts are already hard on the knees.

kaneboats
04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I stopped running in 1998. Nobody has chased me since then.

pickle311
04-04-2013, 02:58 PM
So I saw an article recently. Some high school kid down here in the lone star state set a new bench press record for Texas high schools. 705 lbs....in freaking high school!

Sent from my iPhone

That is not natural for anyone to be that strong, much less a kid. Better be careful with those pro hormones at such a young age.

I spend 8 to 10 hours a week in the gym, mostly lifting. Probably less than 20% of my time is spent on cardio, but I get enough in.
As for supplements, I've tried all sorts of things. Some work and a lot don't.
For pre work out, I'm currently taking Animal Rage. It's ok, moderate pump. It doesn't give me the shakes or anything and seems to fade pretty quickly, but also keeps me from falling asleep at night sometimes.
Jack3D is by far my favorite and what I'll be going back to when I finish this. I've done C4, NO Xplode, Muscle Pharm Assault, and more.
I've tried the over the counter testosterone boosters, don't waste your money. I even dropped $120 on the Cellucore stuff. No difference, no gains. It would have been cheaper for me to just do steroids and actually get some gains from it.
I'm constantly trying different things though. There's a few that I take regularly and keep in rotation. I also think everyone should take these few things if you're working out regularly.
A good multi vitamin is essential. I'm now taking the body building.com brand multi pack and it's really good. Since I started, I now wake up every morning before my alarm goes off. I'm more alert and have more energy as well, most of the time.
Omega3, essential fatty acids
CLA, love this stuff, it really helps my metabolism. When I eat a cheat meal, I immediately take a dose of CLA afterwards. Let's just say it does it's job.
Glucoseamine, for joint pains. Years of racing motocross, my body needs this.
BCAA before and after the gym, it helps keep my shirt sleeves tight. Essential for building muscle.
Protein, everyone needs a lot of it. I live by this stuff. I go through a 5lb jug a month.

moombabound
04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow, old threads never die.

Must be water sports season soon!

Put that 705 bencher on a slalom ski and see how he feels after.

Re: Supplements, my teenage son is prepping for a regional body building competition. He's been thru all the wacky over the counter fad stuff, and now realizes most of it was a waste of dough. Believes in pre-workout, but presently, his ONLY source of protein is via natural foods. Chicken. Loads of it.

kvand3471
04-05-2013, 09:08 PM
As a physical education teacher my job lends itself nicely to getting some daily exercise. I am not that portly guy sitting on the bleachers rolling out the dodge balls! I challenge myself and my students on a daily basis to attain a greater level of fitness. For me? I currently do a hybrid of P90x, Insanity, Asylum, and free weights. I've done all of them to completion and now like to mix up my favorites.

My diet has moved towards more vegetarian choices. I love fruits, nuts, and vegetables. I even tried going vegan for a challenge...lasted 5 days! But alas, I like meat way to much to give it up forever! Now I try to eat it in moderation. I supplement with a multi-vitamin. Otherwise, I prefer being all natural and teach my students that proper nutrition will give them everything they need.

deepcove
04-06-2013, 12:26 AM
43 yrs old go to the gym 5 times a week and yoga 3 times a week. Wakeskate, water ski and mtn bike in the summer, snowboard in the winter. Suppliments are healthy food, beer, red wine and bc bud......life is good.

Salyers
04-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I am a Triathlete. Swim, Bike, Run! Little bit of weight training here and there. This is my 3rd year competing and will be doing my 2nd Half Ironman 70.3 in May at Haines City,FL. My big goal this Year is my first Full Ironman in November in Panama City Florida.

At this point I train about 10 hours a week. I have 2 or 3 day I do double workouts or "bricks". Swim/Bike, Swim/Run or Bike/Run. Long runs at this point are 8-10miles. Bike rides are 50+miles and swims are from 1-1.5miles each session.

When I start to get into serious training for the Full Ironman my time will almost double to 18hours a week buy the last couple weeks before the Triathlon.

Sadly this all will come at the expense of Boat time this summer. I hope to at least put 25hrs my Mojo this summer but between Training and Saving for building a house which is scheduled to start in August I will have to live through you guys experiences this summer.

I figure for just this one summer of sacrifice it will be worth it all! Did I mention we are building in a lakefront community and I'll have a Boat Slip that will be deeded to our house!!!! I can't wait till next summer!!!