PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer and amp suggestions

David Davidson
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
I just put 2 polk db651's and 2 db6501's in the cabin, so now I need to take care of the low end of the system. I really would like to get some good sounding bass but I only want to spend $400 or $500 on a good sub/amp combo. It sounds like you guys really know your stuff when it comes to audio equipment. I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions or what I should stay away from.

I was looking at this set-up...

Amp- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PA6001/Polk-Audio-PA600-1.html?tp=35834

Woofer- http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_107MM1040/Polk-Audio-MM1040.html?tp=972

Any thoughts would be appreciated... I wish I would have asked for opinions on the sony amp before I bought it for the cabin speakers :?

Razzman
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not a fan of Sony hardware, but then again everybody has their own opinions. I would look around, there are better deals than Crutchfield. Try millionbuy, Sonic Electronix, and places like that.

Want a good deal on a sub equivelent to that with a box? Shameless plug; Mine for sale (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11002)

bradcraig78
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
+1 on crutchfield being over priced. Also check out woofersect.com

you da man
04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a JL Audio 10" sub and I'm more than happy with it. It's in a full enclosure so that helps. Keep in mind what you're wanting, free air or enclosure.

sandm
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
most any high end sub will do, rockford, polk, infinity, jl, wetsounds, kicker, etc.. it's going to be more about the box(if needed) and about a good solid free-air mounting(again, if route chosen). keep in mind that in most cases a sealed or ported boxed sub is going to outperform a free-air, but you need to ensure that it's the correct box for the sub.
Kicker and jl seems to be the majority winner on here for amps, and they do make a good product for a fair price..
I, personally, went with rockford and love them, and did a jl 12w6 and it absolutely pounds.
and imo ebay ftw when it comes to getting cheap name brand electronics, but you have to be prepared to install yourself. most shops don't want to install stuff you bought off ebay and won't warranty it.

EarmarkMarine
04-30-2010, 04:31 PM
David,

A JL Audio J2 500 watt monoblock amplifier, JL Audio 10-inch W0 subwoofer and a custom-built enclosure covered in a water-resistant RhinoLiner coating would total around $500.00. Not to mention a full factory warranty from an authorized dealer.

David
Earmark Marine

sandm
04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
^jump on that. wouldn't retail for that around here. box charge alone would be north of $200 from the couple of dealers here, and rhinolining would add more.

get it from them and then install yourself.. :)

viking
04-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd look at the JL Audio HD amps. A bit north of what you want to spend but they are the cat's meow in my opinion. Class D with tons of power and small package. Squeezed 2 in my Outback and didn't even have to build an amp rack. Enough power to run cockpits, sub and towers. They make a mono amp in the HD series too!!

Good luck!

newty
04-30-2010, 10:32 PM
David,

A JL Audio J2 500 watt monoblock amplifier, JL Audio 10-inch W0 subwoofer and a custom-built enclosure covered in a water-resistant RhinoLiner coating would total around $500.00. Not to mention a full factory warranty from an authorized dealer.

David
Earmark Marine

Agreed! Thats a great deal!

cab13367
05-01-2010, 03:37 PM
David,

David
Earmark Marine

That sounds like a great deal. Could you post a pic of the finished and installed product? I'm curious what it would look like and I am sure others are as well.

Thanks,

Al

viking
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Try onlinecarstereo.com. Bought from them a few times now and never a problem :)

jmvotto
05-02-2010, 07:11 AM
I have bought from crutchfeild over the years and certainly have been satisfied with product and their techical support and service is great. It is not the cheapest place but i always get it asap and returns have NEVER been a problem. That said i have ordered other stuff from amazon, buy.com sonix without any issues either.

My local shops will not be touching my boat, because when they asked what kind i had, i told them a v drive wake boat and they had no idea what i was talking about. No marine gear as well, lots of good car audio but at 100% mark up. Plus i think their customer service is poor. my boat will not be their trial and error.

David Davidson
05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I found a 10" kicker comp and kicker amp for $75 from a buddy here in town. I will try and post pictures of install after I get the box made.

sandm
05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I hate to see this thread go the wrong way, but I have to agree with razz. I have bought off ebay for almost every piece of my electronics and have not experienced any bad results yet, but I also only buy brand names and research the company selling them.
I just installed 3 rockford fosgate punch amps(sealed boxes with s/n's) and a jl audio 12w6 woofer(again in a sealed box and with s/n) in my boat. I did my research online and decided which way to go, then went to the local shop for a quote, as jonyb stated to give them a chance. they quoted me $1600 for the 3 amps and sub. I bought them all off ebay, buy it now with free shipping for under $900. pretty tough to spend an extra $700+ to keep it local, and as jonyb suggested, maybe they would have "dickered", but I shouldn't have to. give me the best price up front.. you're not selling cars.
now I realize that I have no warranties with this stuff except thru fosgate, but with what I saved, I can take the chance that something will blow(doubtful, but could happen) and I have saved enough coin to replace almost the entire system before I'm back at "dealer retail".

bottom line, If I take up a guys time with questions or information, I'll buy there, but if they choose to charge inflated margins, then the local shops here are just begging us to look elsewhere..

Razzman
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
All, i apologize for any confusion as i've had to delete some of the posts.

kaneboats
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry, KG, fact is our moderators as a unified group have had it with the derogatory comments of that former member who despite ample warnings could not restrain himself.

David Davidson
05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Still have to finish it up... not the cleanest looking box I have made, but probably the hardest.

newty
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Nice! Good spot for a box.

uttitanfan
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
there are many cheaper sites than crutchfield.. it is a great resource site but not economical.. i like

http://www.hookedontronics.com/

got my stuff cheap and fast. free shipping for my subs and amps too. i don't know if that was just a promotion or not, be careful shipping can be very expensive for those subs.