PDA

View Full Version : How to ship a bimini ??

Jeff W
04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
So I am selling my OEM bimini from my Outback to a fellow Moomba forum member. I have broke the bimini down as far as it will go - but unfortunately the main beams that go across the cabin of the boat are one piece so they are quite big.

Does anyone have any experiences shipping one of these? How did you do it? I am thinking I have two options. The first is trying to source a box that is roughly this size. The only thing I can think of that is even close is maybe a really wide door for a home. THe other option is to wrap it with packaging foam and then packaging tape and send it with no box.

The item will be shipped USPS from Minnesota to Manitoba so it is International.

Does anyone have any experiences or ideas? If I go without a box - do you think I should add a piece of metal to the cross bar for added reinforcement to the structure? Or should I be Ok as long as everything is padded and securely fastened?

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

jmvotto
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
you could probably find a place that sells flat cardboard in large sheets and just fab one with packing tape.
I also bubble wrapped a pair of snow skiis and sent it fed ex in a plastic bag.

sandm
04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
the dealer that sold me my boat was 500 miles away and had to order me one as my boat didn't come with one. it was shipped to my door and they had to use fedex freight(trucking company). they ended up sending me the wrong one and sent a new one and it came from skiers choice the same way. took the old one that they didn't want back to my local dealer and they sold it on consignment for me. they had to ship it truck as well and told me that's the only real good way to get them around the country..
I'd say def. no way I'd ship it w/o a box and good luck with usps. just make sure it's insured. I don't know that I'd trust them with it...

good luck..

mmandley
04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Id look into a Matress box from the local U Haul. Then bubble it and get a couple foam noodles to cut and tape between the rails to ensure they dont get bent inward.

kaneboats
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd cut it into a couple of pieces and make some little sleeves out of the next size up tubing to put it back together.