PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

tazz3069
04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I know that there has been a post on trailer tires. Well it is that time for me to purchase a new set of shoes. I have noticed some cracking on the rubber and do not want to chance another blow out. I was driving back from Modesto, Calif. towing my buddies Malibu. We made it all the way back to Vegas and BAM!!!!!!!! The front right tire let loose. It tore off the wood that separates the fender from the boat. It also banged up the fender pretty good. I really do not want to take a chance on another season with out new rubber. A buddy of mine purchased Goodyear Marathon tires for his trailer. He said that he really like them. I just want to rach out to the Moomba world to see what everybody is using these days.

Tazz

zabooda
04-26-2010, 12:31 AM
I think there was a vote on the tires somewhere. I like tire dealers that reimburses based on tread depth as I go through a few. The tires crack long before the tread wears out.

mcdye
04-26-2010, 09:01 AM
It seems that most trailers use Goodyear Marathon as there are a lot of post about them good and bad. I am guessing that my ‘02 had the original tires, they were Goodyear Marathon. They were cracking and under closer inspection they had knots/bulges in the tread pattern. Went ahead and replaced them with Maxxis (D rating). I could tell a difference on first pull, probably due to the age difference and knots :). It seems that most tire issues are due to improper tire inflation.

Razzman
04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I just bought a spare tire for mine from a long established tire dealer here in the valley that does a LOT of commercial and ag business. We got into a discussion about trailer tires and he showed me the six different lines he carries to include Marathons and his statement? "They're all crap" he said! The Goodyears are just $30 more!

He has a boat and by choice puts the Towmasters on his trailer saying they have the least amount of issues. He also said they're all made in China, go figure huh. Boatmaster installs the Marathons or Trail America tires depending on mfgr and mine has the trail america which have a terrible rating on the internet.

sandm
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
tazz, I think you have les schwab down there? just go there.

I have heard many bad things about the goodyears. they were on my trailer originally and were shot after 2 years and only around 3000 miles.. guy that swapped them out said they were garbage. told me I wasn't too far out from a blowout.

mmandley
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
He has a boat and by choice puts the Towmasters on his trailer saying they have the least amount of issues. He also said they're all made in China, go figure huh. .

You know U Haul uses these on all there trailers because they have the longest mileage rating and they don't tend to dry rot as soon as other tires do.

I used to work at U Haul when i was in high school as a lot boy and hitch installer, i never liked the look of the Towmaster tires but then again safety isn't always pretty.

I can say Good Year is not my favorite tire. Big Blue had Goodyears on her when i bought her band new in 06, last summer at the most inopportune time, i looked and all 4 tires were roted and cracked threw the treads and everything. I only had 30K miles on the truck at the time. I went with BF Goodrich tires but that set me back 1500, that would have got me a few more Boat Upgrades lol. I do love these new tired and they made a huge difference in towing, with the extra beefy side walls they don't flex as much and feel a lot better pulling on the curvy roads here. Fierah doesn't push the ass end around as much on corners when braking now.

Razzman
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
tazz, I think you have les schwab down there? just go there.

sandm in my experiences Schwab is WAY over priced! I've priced tires there a couple times to include the four i just put on the wife's Durango and they were the MOST expensive by far by around $250 for the four! I ended up having Costco put BFG's on for $700 due to the price, warranty & service. Schwab wanted a little over $1000 for Toyo's! NOT!

sandm
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I won't buy car tires there, but they are within a few $$ of most when it comes to boat tires(especially their "house" brand) and you get a great warranty with them.

I just put yokohamas on my ford. bought 4 8ply 265/75/16 truck tires for $720 from commercial tire through work. schwab wanted $1100 for a similar tire, and retail at the commercial tire store was $980. sometimes it's good to have connections :)
boat needed tires late last summer. single axle cost me $205 for 2 tires from schwab with a good warranty. everyone else in town seemed to be in the same ball park. I did spend $75 for an extra chrome rim and used the one tire that was still somewhat good as an emergency spare. I only tow 16 miles one way to the ramp.

zabooda
04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Schwab's will beat other prices. I would highly recommend them for trailer tires as they will prorate your tires based on tread irregardless of the age. For the boat, they are basically life time tires. I do the same with RV tires.

Razzman
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
So my local guy gets me a matching chrome wheel (which he overnighted in) and installs the Towmaster 205/75R14 6 ply for $146 out the door including tax which is 8.5%. NOBODY could touch that price. Everyone but him wanted $80 plus just for the wheel.

kaneboats
04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
FYI, fellas:

This is not the chrome wheel but if you just want a spare wheel and tire for $109 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370292443043&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

zabooda
04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I just like the fact that eight years from now when you go back with cracked sidewalls but a perfect tread that they will put on a tire on at no charge and apoligize for the inconvienience

brain_rinse
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I went with a Towmaster for my spare. $69 at Big-O tires.

kaneboats
05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I got the one in the link above. It was delivered and I got it mounted yesterday. It actually looks a little better than in the pics. I don't want it stolen and it will be covered from the sun anyway so nobody will see it. Now, if I can just get Newty to sew me a nice cover. ;)