PDA

View Full Version : Boat Arrives, Decals a Mess..Suggestions?

LURK19
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
So the New '09 LSV arrived yesterday from the dealer 7 hours away. Part of the sale was replacing the graphic with the web version. I noticed some bubbles right away but not till today did I realize it looks at though my 9 year old put these on. Bubbles everywhere, some glue from previous graphic left on (you can feel it under the new one), and they didn't follow the contours of the boat. Parts of the graphic actually bridge the gaps and are stuck to nothing!

Contact the dealer with what options?

1. Send me new graphics and I put them on.
(I can, but I don't want to and don't feel like I should have to)
2. Send me graphics and pay for someone else to install.
(like an auto graphic shop)
3. Have the nearest Moomba dealer install new ones.
(45min away - very small - not sure if they would have much if any experience)

Thanks!

And Yes I'll post pics once this is straightened out and the mods are in.

zegm
04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
For what you pay for these boats you should not have to accept it this way. I would take pictures and call and email the dealer you purchased it from and tell them you expect them to pay for them to be reworked. You could also visit the local dealer and ask them if they have experience with this but since you didn't purchase the boat from them they might not want to deal with it. I would then find someone in town who does this work, does it good and get a quote. Then you can decide to do it yourself and charge that cost to the dealer or have this company do it for you. Image if you payed that kind of money for a new Chevy truck and the "Z71"Decals were installed incorrectly from the factory?? Nope that would never happen! I can't believe they would send it this way to you, did they think you wouldn't be able to complain since you are 7 hours away?

zabooda
04-23-2010, 03:33 PM
They could be able to come to your location and replace the decal. They would pay someone to install it if they knew their limitations. I tried putting a complex decal on a curved surface of my Jeep and it turned out like crap so I know my limitations. It needs to be done right as you will always be looking at the defect and it is likely the decal will come apart quicker if there is any air bubbles behind the vinyl.

dru1974
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I feel for ya i went in my boat i picked up last week and thought i would closely inspect it in the garage yesterday....I looked at the battery and found all the connections loose and found the main cable going from the alterneter to the battery wasnt even hooked up.....and to be honest i am not sure they actually lake tested the boat.....i know skiers choice did, I dont know if i should contact the owners or not......its a large company and they sell a lot of boats.....infact they didn't even have a five flat to 7 round adapter for the trailer to sell. I like the guy but that sucked

LURK19
04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Update:
Dealer believes the air bubbles will go away after a week, with some warm weather and that the bridging of the graphic over lip/gaps in due to common decal shrinkage and is expected..... (Ha, almost funny if it wasn't our boat).

To give you some context on the amount of bubbles. I just went outside and on the "S" in Mobius, on only one side of the boat, there are 26 individual bubbles.

So far they are willing to send new graphics, however as of today they believe that is all they will do.

The boat SC's part of the process is flawless. This dealer had only to prep the boat, add a Z5 top, swivel racks, and replace the graphics.

What happened to believing in and delivering quality work?

If a patient were to come back to one of our offices with a problem with a device we manufactured for them. Sure we would ask the right questions, was it used properly, was it abused, etc. Bottom line, if the responsibility was ours we would make things right (period).

Razzman
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Update:
Dealer believes the air bubbles will go away after a week, with some warm weather and that the bridging of the graphic over lip/gaps in due to common decal shrinkage and is expected..... (Ha, almost funny if it wasn't our boat).

To give you some context on the amount of bubbles. I just went outside and on the "S" in Mobius, on only one side of the boat, there are 26 individual bubbles.

So far they are willing to send new graphics, however as of today they believe that is all they will do.

The boat SC's part of the process is flawless. This dealer had only to prep the boat, add a Z5 top, swivel racks, and replace the graphics.

If a patient were to come back to one of our offices with a problem with a device we manufactured for them. Sure we would ask the right questions, was it used properly, was it abused, etc. Bottom line, if the responsibility was ours we would make things right (period).

Document it with all the facts and pictures that way if they don't go away or your still unhappy with the outcome you have visual and written evidence to get it corrected.

zegm
04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Update:

Ok I have put on factory decals on my old MC (an old player in the business that is still around) and with my wife and I doing it with no prior experience with this I will say we had maybe 3 bubbles per side and we worked them out. Now we did have a flat surface to put them on but if we can do it then I am not likely to believe what this dealer is telling you and they have no experience with this process. Surely someone on here has put on wraps or decals and would know more about this??? I have heard of using windex to allow the decal to float and get the trapped air out too.

Sled491
04-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Man that sucks. I would get the dealer have a tec drive to you to install new ones. That possibly not being an option I'd get the dealer to pay for proffesional installation with a warrenty. The bridging happened to me with my 1/2 wrap last year. Trust me that doesn't end well if you know what I mean. The graphic will rip the first time it gets hit by a wave. Bubbles can be common but should have been worked out by the installer. Some bigger bubbles will not lay down if not addressed right away. However the most disturbing part of your saga to me is the glue under the new graphic. Is that supposed to lay down with warmer temps? Ya right.

2009operator
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I know last year my dealer forgot to winterize my ballast system. Called up the Moomba dealer explained to them what they forgot to do and what I thought should be done to fix it. After eventually talking with the Dealership owner they agreed to pay for my gas to pull the boat there and back and for food while I was there. Fix the problem with the ballast system, detail the boat (and they did the trailer), and install a dual battery system for the cost of parts on the battery system. They also did this all in one (long) day. Oh and my Moomba dealer is 4 hours away. They recognized their mistake and they more than made up for it!

Sled491
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Now that's what were talking about!

squeeg333
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
I think that's laughable that they say that air bubbles and "spanning the gaps" is normal, and will go away. I bought my LSV used, and sight unseen, and when it showed up, the decals on the back (the shatter pattern) had the same issue.
Not the bubbles, but some of the gaps were spanned like you're talking about. It wasn't the dealership I bought it froms issue, but still a bummer. I haven't done anything with mine, as most aren't bad, but I might eventually just got nekked with the boat, so it's no worries.

The bubbles, those can be handled with a pin, but like everyone says, you shouldn't have to. Especially since it was them who put it one, they should handle it.