PDA

View Full Version : oil & impeller change on a 99 Outback

badasshybrid
04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I changed the oil in her yesterday and that was a joke. Whoever the jack@zz was who put the filter on last put it on so tight it took me 4 hours to get it off. I twisted the bottom where the flat edges are around 1/4 of a turn from the top of the filter. I had to stop go to town and buy a filter tool with the rubber strap to get it off and it still took 2 hours.

Allthough I did find a good way to not get the oil everywhere. When I got the filter lose where I could turn it by hand. I put a disposable glove on 1 hand and took a large trashbag and laid it in the hull with the edges of the bag pulled up as high as they would go. I unscrewed it a little to let some of the oil run into the bag, when it stopped running out I unscrewed it all the way off and very carefully sat it in the bag, then I took the glove off and put it in the bag. I pulled the edges of the bag over the filter, picked it up and took it out of the boat. NOT A DRIP OF OIL ANYWHERE !!!!

I also change the impeller. That was a easy process thanks to the help off of this board. I took a med set of needle nose vise grips, locked them on there and wiggled it like I was pulling a tooth. Came right out with a little force. Took about 20 mins to change.

DOCDRS
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
or try a big ziploc bag and zip it, then you can tip it and no worries

mmandley
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I bet 1 of two things happened last time the oil was changed. They didn't put oil on the rubber seal, and or they used the wrench to tighten the oil filter. People just don't understand an oil filter is hand tight only.

The flow of oil will cause this to get tighter and tighter.

AaronWhitt82
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Same thing happened with my 99 Outback when I bought it... Went to change the oil and could not get the filter off. Turned into a 4-5 hour project before I was finally able to get the damn thing off.