PDA

View Full Version : What skis should I try out this spring?

ian ashton
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I am planning on buying a ski this spring, which means I'll demo-ing to see what feels best. Any suggestions?

Here is some info on me:
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: ~130 pounds

I free ski, and hit the course. Right now (on the older than me 65" EP) I ride around 31mph; slowly working my way up in speed.

I want a ski that I can grow into, but not something that is going to kick my butt (I rode a friends Connelly hard core something or another, and I felt super unstable; always wanting to be on edge.)

To be honest, I love the way the EP feels, if I could find something similar to that, but obviously with new ski technology that would be awesome.

So, where should I start?

kaneboats
04-19-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't know what to tell you now, but when I was your height and weight in about 1983 I loved the EP!!!!!!!

Mikey
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
As for your height and weight you need to find the appropriate size/length first. Then you can and should look at some of the brands recommendations as to what they are meant for. Easy riding ,open water,or hard core ,course skiing. Of course some will be listed as being very capable of doing more than one thing. Speed is also a factor and probably 32 /34 are more reasonable speeds to expect,36 is for the pros .
Some hard core skiis are not very forgiving in less than ideal conditions so keep that in mind as well. Ie choppy water etc. Then there is usually tamer/slightly heavier versions of most high end skis that will handle these conditions well and still ski well beyond most peoples needs.
As for skiis skiing on edge ,you will probably find most hard core skis behaving that way as its the way they are designed to run yey some skis are very nice and stable as well till you want them to behave differently.
I would suggest researching skis on the net ,going to a ski shop and see and talk to hopefully a competent sales person,to help you decide. If at all possible ,demo as many skis as possible.
Suggestion also is don't undersell yourself on a ski ,too much in the fact that if and when you start skiing better,which should happen ,now you don't want your ski holding you back . Good luck and let us know how you make out.
If you know what you want there are always lots of deals on skis online. Good luck.

snowboardcorey
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Most of the mid level skis on the market right now are a full edge to edge concave, that's going to give you some of the "always wants to be on edge" feel. On the flip side this can also allow you to hold more angle across the wakes which is going to help you out in the course. New bindings are going to be stiffer than your EP's (unless you've upgraded). Stiffer bindings will transfer more energy faster, this can also lead to a feeling of unsteadiness at first but after a couple days use you'll be able to use this to your advantage.

I'd recommend taking a look at the H.O. Sports CDX, its an older shape with a lighter flex pattern than the original which makes it a little more forgiving than the original. There are several boot options but the dual Animal boots is how I'd set mine up, you can get a rear toe plate instead of the rear boot if you prefer.

The other ski I'd check out is the Connelly Concept. Again this is an older shape but in a lighter flex pattern than the original. I've set up a ton of people with similar level and goals to you on this ski. I'm not to up on the new Connelly boots, but usually this ski comes packaged with an appropriate level boot.

That's my two cents. Enjoy the demos!

MrsZ
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Ian,

I am about your size and I LOVE my EP Stiletto too. I have used EPs since I was in college. We wont say how long ago that was. I just got an HO Couture for Christmas. You would probably not like the color scheme of that. It is kind of girly. But try the HO Nitro, if you can. It is supposed to the boy version. I tried a Nitro and it was the first non EP that I really liked.

Oh. I also recommend a boot for the rear foot too. It really really makes a difference!

maxpower220
04-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Your ski length will be based on your height/weight and you will be on a 65-66" ski. I ski on a HO Nitro/NOS. It is a "34 mph" ski in design, I love it and highly recommend it. They can be found pretty cheap also. I would also try an O'Brien SS and a Connelly F1X.

Good luck.

markcr
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Try out a 65" Radar Senate (not the Senate C). It's a very popular intermediate slalom ski that can provide all the forgiveness you need but also can get you into 34 mph short line when you're ready for it. I've also heard good things about the HO Triumph.

ian ashton
04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Try out a 65" Radar Senate (not the Senate C). It's a very popular intermediate slalom ski that can provide all the forgiveness you need but also can get you into 34 mph short line when you're ready for it. I've also heard good things about the HO Triumph.

I've been looking at the Senate for sure (I have the catalog sitting next to me right now, lol) and the HO Nitro too.

I am definately going with a double boot, I hate the toe plate on the EP, I feel loose. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

markcr
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I have a Senate on order right now - just waiting for it to ship. I bought it from waterskis.com but it was on back order. I don't have a local ski dealer so I have to buy all my stuff online. I talked to the ski rep at waterskis.com and he said it's by far their most popular intermediate ski they sell and he said they almost never see them come back in to be traded for something else. I found out about it by asking around at a few slalom ski schools. Each of the responses recommended the Radar Senate. I have an old HO VTC that I've skied on for years but thought it was time for an upgrade. I'm sure I'll still stack just as often but at least I won't be able to blame it on my equipment. Oh, what am I saying. Of course I will. Darn new ski...

Matt Glenn
04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I 2nd radar skis I have a Radar Annex and love it. That is the ski I used when I skied with you last summer. Only ski that I have used that I have not had to adjust to it. It adjusted to me. You can find some great deels on line on last years models

Sled491
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
There are more skiis to try than people willing to let you try, if that makes sense. I would get that length figured out, but I would say 64-65 max. Some old and tried blanks will not let you down, but will still leave you wanting more. The Concept is all over the place and cheap cheap cheap so you can buy with out feeling like oh man this is going to have to be it. Have seen a ton of New Radar Senates on Ebay for cheap also. My buddy just got a Senate C which is the carbon version. Will be a faster ski. But if you are truely serious about skiing look at D3, and Goode or the Obrien Strada. They will cost you some money but you will be fitted with a ski that is for you and will make you a better skier very quickly. Unfortunately your talking like 10 times the money of the above mentioned skiis and I'm not joking.

ian ashton
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I 2nd radar skis I have a Radar Annex and love it. That is the ski I used when I skied with you last summer. Only ski that I have used that I have not had to adjust to it. It adjusted to me. You can find some great deels on line on last years models

I thought that you rode a Radar.

That was not my best day, haha! The barefooting attempts completely killed me.

jeffrogge
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know what to tell you now, but when I was your height and weight in about 1983 I loved the EP!!!!!!!

That is hilarious

ian ashton
05-01-2010, 06:14 PM
I just had a local dealer get me a 65 Radar Senate to demo, and hopefully buy.

bashton
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
So, Ian orders up the new Senate for delivery this week. We ski and board early in the week, (which was the first time for me this season). We hope for Thursday delivery, as the weather is decent, well...bearable, but not particularly warm. He calls up and they are like, um...we have an '08 65, but not the new one.

That would be fine, but they had that ski sitting there and we both agreed that it was kinda ugly, so Ian opted to pay the price to get the newer model.

Now it is like 38 degrees outside with 30 mph wind and we sit around wishing we had the ski AND some decent weather!

UGH!!

Bashton

Sled491
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I know the feeling, friday night was snowing Mid state WI. Was out fishing and camping with the family for the weekend, wow was it miserable :(

jmvotto
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Ian, if you like the EP wileys should be able to retro fit a Double boot on it.
My friend who runs course went back to her older kidder and just got new bindings from wileys.

I wish i was the size again to ride my old EP, ( that would be JR high)that ski was awesome, guess my middle school girls can try it now. LOL:p

kaneboats
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
LOL! I think the EP I used to ride was a 64 or 65". I'd need two maybe three of them now. :D

ian ashton
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I've got the 65" Radar Senate and double boot setup in my car, I can't wait to ride it. Hopefully I can find someone to drive tomorrow for me...

deerfield
05-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Hopefully I can find someone to drive tomorrow for me...

Ian - I hear ya. - Deerfield

Sled491
05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Very cool, hope you find a ride.

Just a couple of comments before you get yourself possibly all bent out of shape. Your new ski has many many variables now. Set up may take some time. Keep good notes. Try to figure out how the ski was meant to run - neutral, forward back. Try to figure out what the ski is trying to do if you can't get it to work. Is it diving in, is it washing out etc. Trouble getting up? Are the bindings in the right place? Riding too high, how is the fin position are the bindings forward enough hows the cheater.

Just take the first pass easy and try and feel what the ski can do and what it's not doing, then go forward. I have rarely rode a ski that didn't need a tweak or two.

BensonWdby
05-14-2010, 10:37 PM
If you have questions you can contact Radar directly.
http://www.radarskis.com/skis.html

Whe I got my Annex last year from an internet dealer I bought the bindings separately. I contacted them for recommended setup and they got right back to me ...

ian ashton
05-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the tips! Right now I've got it set up neutral at the dealers reccomendation. I'd imagine it will take some tweaking; I'm super particular on my wakeboard stance and angles, so I'd imagine the ski being faster and less surface area will be even more for me to figure out, haha.

Sled491
05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Well let us know and have fun

ian ashton
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
FINALLY getting out to ride in a few hours, I am very excited.

ian ashton
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
First impression:

More agressive than the EP, but in a good way. I need toget used to the double boot, having my back foot locked in makes it harder for me to steer. I also need to get comfortable and losen the back boot, as my foot cramped up pretty quick.

Any tips from someone whose gone from single to double on how to make the transition?

Sled491
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I find with the cramping keep the boot slippery. I use vasoline. The problem is the boot grips your foot and it doesn't move at all and this while the material is meant to stretch. With the vasoline, it doesn't wash out right away after you get in the water, and it lets the foot move enough to stop the discomfort. Also depending on the boot loosen the cross overs at the base by undoing the srews and letting it out to the next set. Basically you need to break it in and get used to it, but for now these tricks should help.

Any video or pics of this maiden voyage?

ian ashton
05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
No pics/vids, this was an impromptu trip to the boat. Gave it another set, with the back boot laces loose on the bottom and snug up top and it was a world of improvent! Much easier steering for me, and no cramps. I already think I'm going to love this ski. It's like being on rails, alot faster but ilike it

Sled491
05-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Cool, and that was just the Senate right, not the Senate Carbon?

ian ashton
05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea. I think the carbon would be too much ski for me, at least right now.

skiyaker
06-06-2010, 12:38 PM
anybody know anything about the O'Brien Seven? I'm told it's the old Andy Mapple design- is that true? Right now I'm skiing on and O'Brien Vision which is kind of a strange ski because it's a tunnel concave about 3/4 of the way to the tail and then it tapers to a full concave. I'm looking to go full concave as I hopefully advance my abilities.

skiyaker
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
well heck after reading about the Senate maybe I should test one out- It sounds like you guys are pretty happy with it and sled you steered me right about the dry suit so I trust ya. If the guy on the website is right then it would probably fit my ability and be more ski than I'll ever need. Time to start saving!
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

ian ashton
06-06-2010, 06:59 PM
I absolutely love it! Truth be told, it's the only ski I demod and I can't think of Nything that would fit me better.

Sled491
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey skyjacker, check Ebay, you can get regular senate blanks for around 280.00. Find some close out boots and your good to go. My buddy has the Senate Carbon. I haven't skied it because we are opposite foot forward, but let me tell you that thing is fast fast fast!

skiyaker
06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Cool man thanks for the tip. I'm off to Barkley so I'll check it out when I get back. I'm kind of between sizes (150-155#). I've been told to go small- do you agree? That would put me on a 65

Mikey
06-09-2010, 09:47 PM
If you go small how close are you to the small side vs larger ski. How aggressive do you want to ski and are you running lean or do you plan to add weight etc ie grow. I have a ski from the pst when i was 175 now i run 215lbs . Thats what 15 years will do to you. Things to maybe consider though.

Sled491
06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Personally I always try to stay on a smaller ski or the smallest for me that the time. Over the years that has taken me from a 63 Kidder Hammer to a 68 Obrien siege. I skied an old 66 I had in the basement last year with no problems other than me. this year I would like to drop to a 67 ski not just because I'm liter (?) but becasue I find the 68 sluggish.

BensonWdby
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
If you are looking for bindings for a Radar and don't want to pop for Radar bindings (which I hear are very comfortable), the HO Venom has matching hole pattern, so my guess is that any HO would probably work.

I am still adjusting to my Annex. The old concept was a tunnel ski and the Annex is a full concave. Not sure I can tell you what the difference is but I am definitely needing to adjust...

skiyaker
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Well I'm short (5"9') and 150 is a good wt for me. The 65 senate says it's good up to 160# and if I get there I better hit the gym or decrease my high life consumption- though I will say that my off season workout put on about 7# and dropped my body fat%. The 67 is rated for 150-?175 so there is some overlap. I guess what I really need to do is to demo them both but doing that in Indiana won't be easy- the ski shop in Indy didn't even have a 65 when I called.

Sled491
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Dave what size is your Annex? You said you were going to have it with you right? I'd love to give it a ride if we hook up next week.

Sled491
06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Yak, I'm 185 and would ski the 67. At your weight I would definatly go with the 65. Again though it's all about how comfortable you would feel on the short stick and how agressive you feel you would ski, and remember aggressive can have several different meanings.

skiyaker
06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys- forgot to mention that the ski I'm on now (o'brien vision) is a 66 and length feels good but I think it's a little narrower than the senate and the concave it has is just funky-probably why they only made it for a few years then discontinued it.

BensonWdby
06-10-2010, 12:10 AM
The Annex is big - 68" - when I bought it last year I was just above the recommended top of weight range at 220. Now at 177 I am at the bottom of the range - I thin a 67 would be better for me - I am even considering dropping all the way back to my 65" Shortline2, but my mentors have recommended against it..

If the return trip from Liquid Edge pans out, I just might have 67" Monza with me... Did I mention that I am skiing with Wade Cox Saturday morning... Hope it is not raining too hard.

Sled491
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Awsum!!

I want to get to 175 but realistically if I get below 180 I'll be good. I don't think I'd go below a 66 though. Even though we may be at the top end of recreational skiing going real short on the ski is a lot more work.

ian ashton
06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Well I'm short (5"9') and 150 is a good wt for me. The 65 senate says it's good up to 160# and if I get there I better hit the gym or decrease my high life consumption- though I will say that my off season workout put on about 7# and dropped my body fat%. The 67 is rated for 150-?175 so there is some overlap. I guess what I really need to do is to demo them both but doing that in Indiana won't be easy- the ski shop in Indy didn't even have a 65 when I called.

If you are ever in South East Michigan give me a ring and you can take my 65" Senate for a ski!

skiyaker
06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
thanks for the offer coolie- I might have to take you up on that. I've been calling the very few ski shops there are around here and nobody has a 65 in for me to try