PDA

View Full Version : Got Tunes?

mmandley
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Finally got the stereo done. Installed and working properly. Its been a long road for this the past winter but with the expertise of Exile, Sub Zero, and my Moomba brothern i gotit all working and sounding insane.

Stereo

Kenwood 700U with on-board Remote controls the Tunes

6 Polk DB 651.s are in the cabin for the peeps
4 XM7s on the tower for the boarders
1 Exile Big 12 sub woofer to scare the fish away
1 Custom sub enclosure made by Sub Zero and Exile

Exile 800.4 powering the cabins
Exile 1500.1 powering the sub - with separate volume control
Exile 1k Harpoon powering the tower - with seperate volume control and Throttle box control for Wake board Distance or Wake Surf distance tuning.

For the record i did 100% of the install.
All connections are heat shrunk
Power and Ground lines are Fuse protected.

Power and ground to the distro blocks are 1.0 gauge
Power and ground to the amps are 4.0 gauge
Remote Power to amps is 14 gauge
Speaker lines are 14 gauge

I have 3 batteries currently. 1 as the main starting battery. 2 as the Stereo Batteries.
All Battery jumper cables are 2.0 gauge

When you open the cubby you see no wires from my install i tried to keep everything hidden from the normal view and you have to look up or behind the bulk head to see any wiring that is traveling to the different systems.

I kept my power and ground on 1 track threw the boat and my RCAs on another track threw the boat.

Here are some pics.

mmandley
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
more stereo install pics

mmandley
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Few of the boat.

jester
04-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Mike. Looking good. I cannot wait to hear it this summer. Fall creak opens the good boat ramp on the first.

sandm
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
good lookin boat and install. nice to be rockin loud tunes on the lake this year :)

seems like there have been several high power builds this winter.. skiers choice is def. makin noise on the lakes this summer......

stretch55
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree it looks good Mike. Can't wait to hear it either.

ian ashton
04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Looks badass! Good thing you have that big sub on the drivers side; all that battery weight and you'll almost have a permanant surf wake!

Razzman
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
VERY GOOD! Nice clean install Mike.

viking
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Nice Job. Turned out clean and professional. I'm just wondering what you can do next? Your running out of things to upgrade. Next year a New Boat??
:mrgreen:

mmandley
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice Job. Turned out clean and professional. I'm just wondering what you can do next? Your running out of things to upgrade. Next year a New Boat??
:mrgreen:

Thanks everyone. I installed this while the whole time thining when i post pics if it doesnt look good i would hear about it LOL.

As for next upgrade?

Ballast is in the works. I got all the things i need, just need to get it done. Going to start that later this week.

After the ballast not much to change expect little things like swing away wake board racks and such.

The stereo is deffinently a heavy item, the 3 batteries and all the amps, wireing and such, wouldnt be surprised if it wieghs in at 250 or so.

kaneboats
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Compared to the stereo work, the ballast stuff is EASY to reach. Enjoy!

byronkoz
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Great work Mike, looks awsome. Like Kane said the ballast stuff is easy compared to the audio. I actually enjoyed doing my ballast upgrade. The audio part was a pain in the ars and I couldnt wait to be done with it.

deerfield
04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
mmandley - What was the hardest part? What, if you had it to do over, would you do differently? At the other extreme, what was easy and what worked out better than you had expected? Thanks. - Deerfield

moombadaze
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Mike, rock that this summer with pride-looks amazing

mmandley
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
mmandley - What was the hardest part? What, if you had it to do over, would you do differently? At the other extreme, what was easy and what worked out better than you had expected? Thanks. - Deerfield

The hardest part honestly was mounting the amp racks. Knowing a mistake would put a screw threw the hull.

What i did to be safe was there is a ledge or rail on the bottom at the floor like everyone said there was. This was the easy part of the amp rack. For the top i peeled the carpet back to see where the rub rail is attached. Some boats ive been in now have a black square rail here to screw into. Mine doesn't, its just fiberglass and you see screw tips sticking threw it. I mounted some plastic plates here to screw the top of the amp boards in. This way i had a large surface to hit with the amp board.

If i had to do this hole install over again i buy dry cell or AGM batteries and mount them under my rear seat on the little lip right in-front of the V drive compartments. Run my battery cables along the floor up to the distro blocks to make more room up there. < do you see an upgrade for next winter? > lol

Easiest part was the sub system. All i did was tell Brian and Brett < Sub Zero > my expectations, limitations, and don't dos.

Better then expected was the overall sound. I never dreamed a boat could so like this does. I sat there floating on the lake yesterday listening to the music drinking a beer and just keep be amazed how it sounded. The highs are just right at any volume, the bass is deep and tight and hits with authority but doesn't over power or sound boomy. The tower even sounds great in the boat. Had it cranked way up on the last pass on the lake and i the boat it sounded like another set of speakers. Your ears weren't bleeding and it wasn't over powering the Polks at all.

viking
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Mike, I was outside working in the yard and there was an east breeze in the air. I think I heard you :D:D

deerfield
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
The hardest part honestly was mounting the amp racks. Knowing a mistake would put a screw threw the hull.

What i did to be safe was there is a ledge or rail on the bottom at the floor like everyone said there was. This was the easy part of the amp rack. For the top i peeled the carpet back to see where the rub rail is attached. Some boats ive been in now have a black square rail here to screw into. Mine doesn't, its just fiberglass and you see screw tips sticking threw it. I mounted some plastic plates here to screw the top of the amp boards in. This way i had a large surface to hit with the amp board.

If i had to do this hole install over again i buy dry cell or AGM batteries and mount them under my rear seat on the little lip right in-front of the V drive compartments. Run my battery cables along the floor up to the distro blocks to make more room up there. < do you see an upgrade for next winter? > lol

Easiest part was the sub system. All i did was tell Brian and Brett < Sub Zero > my expectations, limitations, and don't dos.

Better then expected was the overall sound. I never dreamed a boat could so like this does. I sat there floating on the lake yesterday listening to the music drinking a beer and just keep be amazed how it sounded. The highs are just right at any volume, the bass is deep and tight and hits with authority but doesn't over power or sound boomy. The tower even sounds great in the boat. Had it cranked way up on the last pass on the lake and i the boat it sounded like another set of speakers. Your ears weren't bleeding and it wasn't over powering the Polks at all.

mmandley - I appreciate the insights. Yup. I can see your point on the overall sound in your boat turning out better than even you expected. But, clearly you put a lot of time and effort into the project. So, not surprised. I admire guys like you on this forum that take on a project. Thanks and enjoy those tunes! - Deerfield

cab13367
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Mike,

Your system is just insane. Can't wait to see the video that Brian shot of it in action.

And thanks for the gratuitous pic of my boat!

Al

mmandley
04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Got a little video today of the system in play.

This is more then 500 ft away. No editing was done to the sound. I set up the camera on a Tri-Pod and drove the truck till i had mo more room.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/th_Exile_XM7_Sound_Check.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/?action=view&current=Exile_XM7_Sound_Check.flv)

jeffrogge
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
that is awesome

kaneboats
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow, despite the limitation of video camera and my computer speakers you still get the feel for how clear it is at that incredible distance. Congrats! Enjoy! Now get busy on your ballast system!