PDA

View Full Version : Is a boat considered as an RV?

bjames
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
The new neiborhood I will be moving into has a policy that states that residents cannot store Commercial or RV vehicals on their driveways. Would the term "RV" include watercraft? I googled the term RV and everything that I get says an RV would include trailers, motorhomes, campers, ect. I could'nt see anything that classifies a boat as an RV. The neiborhood has failry tight architectural restrictions. Should it be OK to park my boat in the driveway during the summer?

wolfeman131
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
As much as I like your boat, it wouldn't make the cut in my neighborhood. I ran our Homeowner's Association and the problem always is that for every '09 LSV that looks great & you allow, there is a piece of junk that you're then forced to allow.

Razzman
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Technically no, but then i've found that HOAs (Home Owners Association) have a pretty broad definition of what is and isn't. I would check with them or the city ordinance.

bjames
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
But I am confused on the terminology used in the restrictions. If they don not allow boats, I am thinking they should write it as "no commercial, RV and watercraft allowed"

The funny thing is that the development is called "Summerside Lake Community" but its a man made lake built for sail boats and paddle boats.

sandm
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
you can ask anyone you want, but until you approach the homeowners association, you are not going to get the right answer. what is written may not be what is heavily enforced and every association is going to be different. I think that it would not be too much of a stretch for an association to call a boat a "recreational vehicle".
every subdivision I have lived in the past 10 years have had tight regulations and no rv's, watercrafts, nor utility trailers can be in the driveway or road overnight, however most have not had an issue on the weekends as long as they are gone monday am and don't reappear until friday night. did live in one that sent notices the next day on ANY violation. ran by a bunch of retired sr citizens that had nothing better to do..

as a boat owner, I totally agree with wolfman on this one. I love my boat and keep it shiney and pretty, but I don't want to look at some guys broken down 1960's tri-hull "project" that becomes a tumbleweed collector. associations are designed to help protect your quality of life. sometimes it gets in the way, but look at the good it's doing..

bjames
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Here is what the Architectural Guidelines state:

"Recreational vehicles and commercial vehicles in excess of 3/4 ton capacity shall not be stored in the front yard or driveway of any property between the building line and the curb, and if otherwise stored on the property, shall be screened to minimize the visibility of such vehicles from abutting street, public space and adjacent homes"

See any loop holes? Seems that if the vehicle is screned to 'minimize' visibility then its ok... looks like a loop hole to me as the term screening & minimize could be subject to interpretation.

mmandley
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I would have to say Yes our boats are RV.

RV by definition is Recreation Vehicle. It fits that bill. Also when you finance a boat its not a 5 year auto loan, its a 8-30 year RV type loan.

For me when we bought our home and looked for homes we specifically didn't want a HOA.

This is a good example why.

Now Razz has a great argument of just because your boat is sexy it shouldnt be allowed, its because of all the eye sore boats that then have to be allowed. My street is the same way. 10 homes on the street, 5 boats on the same street and mine it worth more then the other 4 combined. The other 4 dont even see water

bjames
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Here is the definition of Recreational Vehical take directly from the City of Edmonton Bylaw website for parking/storing of RV vehicles:

"Definition of Recreational Vehicle
Any vehicle that is equipped for sleeping is considered a recreational vehicle. Large recreational vehicles include any motor home, travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, camper not mounted on a truck, or any other vehicle or object, which the development officer deems to be a large recreational vehicle.
This does not include boats, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, jet skis or motorcycles (or trailers to carry them). It also does not include small utility trailers, camper van conversions, tent trailers or campers mounted in trucks. "

Razzman
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Well here's my take, and as said until you talk to them it does no good to guess. And as they are the governing authority on this matter their word is gospel unless they specically state boats are ok. If not then you would have to argue your claims in court and that could take a very long time as it's a trivial matter.

And this is just one of reasons why I never have nor never will purchase a home in an HOA controlled neighborhood. I have a few friends in HOAs and the extent they have to go to just to change landscaping or add a shed is utterly ridiculous. No cars in driveways, must use garage. No bicycles out front, geez ... fricken yard nazi's!

zabooda
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Before you buy, I would check with the homeowners association as they have the final say. Usually RVs and boats are listed seperately but since it is a boating community they may have excluded them intentionally.

viking
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Whether it's "technically" not an RV or would otherwise qualify as an exception. My guess is you would get a ton of complaints to the Association and possibly direct to you by neighbors who don't like it. There are going to be issues with your boat in the driveway almost Guaranteed!!

sandm
04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd never buy a house again thats not in a hoa. it sure is nice knowing that if you don't like the taco truck that takes up residence in your neighbors driveway or the 4 broken down el caminos that the neighbor promises to restore that he has now planted as grass in the front yard can be gotten rid of. sure can be easier to sell if the houses around are in good shape..
my experience with hoa's are that as long as you keep your house in good condition, well landscaped and mowed and don't park the work equipment at the house for days, your good. the days that you go to the lake on saturday and again on sunday so you leave it out have been prohibited, but always allowed..

and to the o.p. you can research the definitions all you like, but until you actually ask the board, it's a moot point. battling them will get you nowhere fast, cost a lot of time and money and just piss the neighbors off. not really worth it imo.

bjames
04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
My Fiance is contacting the board directly as this is her home that we have decided to settle in. My current house will either be rented out or sold. I am just doing my research now as technically I cannot contact the HOA directly until I am registered as a permanent resident. She doesnt seem all that bothered by this - judging by what other residents are currenlty getting away with, or appear to be. So I will wait and see at this point. However I would like to ask them what their idea of screening is since they say in their own guidlines that "if otherwise stored, must be screened to minimize visibility". Their obviously seems to be some exceptions. Time to wait and see.

BTW.. there isn any guidlines stating the driveways must be clear with cars parked in the garage... thanks god for that!:D

wolfeman131
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
BTW.. there isn any guidlines stating the driveways must be clear with cars parked in the garage... thanks god for that!:D

Good luck! Approach it the right way and it will probably work out. I always attempted to work with those that wanted to work with us/the HOA. Those that decided to ask for forgiveness vs permission usually didn't like the outcome. The guy that installed an 8 ft satellite dish in the side yard was persuaded to take it down when I told the lawyers to start the process to garnish his wages. I may be considered a jerk by the violator(s), but it's all an effort to maintain property values.

BTW - the policeman that was associated with our neighborhood "Crime Stopper" unit suggested that we add a provision to have people park only in their garage. The reason is that cars are easy target for thieves, etc. and if there aren't any out (i.e. easy targets) the bad guys go someplace else.

BensonWdby
04-19-2010, 08:58 PM
AS far as screening goes - read carefully. It says - 'If stored otehrwise ...', this means in the back yard or on the side yard. you will probably also find something in there about storing something in the side or back yard - then you need a pad - either asphalt, concrete, or posibly class five.

The rules regarding RVs is probably for two reasons to handle the 2 percent of the abusers:
1. Prevent people from having their snowbird parents parking all summer long in a driveway and living out of it. Then you get people runnign their grey water or even sewage into the street or down a close-by storm sewer.
2. If your driveway is close to a corner an RV in the dirve could block visibility around the corner.

Since no one is living in it I bet they would have a hard time enforcing that particular rule on you. But there may be others. And normally they only enforce it if someone complains. If you know your neighbors and are on good terms with them get their take on it. If you have an enemy living close - expect problems.

mmandley
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd never buy a house again thats not in a hoa. it sure is nice knowing that if you don't like the taco truck that takes up residence in your neighbors driveway or the 4 broken down el caminos that the neighbor promises to restore that he has now planted as grass in the front yard can be gotten rid of. sure can be easier to sell if the houses around are in good shape..
my experience with hoa's are that as long as you keep your house in good condition, well landscaped and mowed and don't park the work equipment at the house for days, your good. the days that you go to the lake on saturday and again on sunday so you leave it out have been prohibited, but always allowed..

and to the o.p. you can research the definitions all you like, but until you actually ask the board, it's a moot point. battling them will get you nowhere fast, cost a lot of time and money and just piss the neighbors off. not really worth it imo.

I see your point here Sandm and i agree with you here. Then again there is the local Law of every vehicle within sight of the street has to be registered and insured or the city can tow it at the owners expense. Me and my neighbor had to do this with the guy up the street who had 3 boats sitting on the street, he was so called restoring them, i could barley get my boat out of the coldasack with all his stuff in the way.

wolfeman131
04-19-2010, 11:36 PM
you get people running their grey water or even sewage into the street or down a close-by storm sewer.

something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fyS5CLBgyM

viking
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Ah Wolfman............
Great post. One of the best things about the winter season is the tradition of sitting down and watching the annual viewing of Christmas Vacation. Love it! But come on Summer!!

Razzman
04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
There was a guy who posted on WW last year in the same situation in Phoenix or Scottsdale area i believe. Anyway his HOA/ordinance stated nothing could protrude above the fence line and he could not park in front or the driveway. But he had plenty of sideyard so he hired a contractor to build a recessed parking area for the boat from the gate back of concrete and rock with drainage. When the boat was in the tower was just below the fence line, but that ramp in/out looked steep! Now that's some good thinking.

bjames
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
UPDATE!!

Well, my finace contacted her HOA and confirmed that boats are allowed to be parked on the driveway as long as it does not extend to the sidewalk. Basically the regulations WERE only pertaining to campers, motorhomes, trailers and heavy commercial vehicles and commercial trailers. I feel much better now:cool: Thanks everyone for your feedback.