PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate Trailers & Pivoting Bunks

zegm
04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I noticed a couple of years ago while under my boat that the middle set of bunks were not attached the same as the rest. The outboard screws on the bunks were only screwed 1/2 way into the wood. At first I thought I had just one that wasn't fastened in all the way but after inspecting the rest of the screws I noticed a pattern. All the outboard screws on the middle set of bunks were about 1/2 in and the inner screws were just touching but not tight. I called my dealer and they told me this was intentional to allow the bunks to float. A couple of weeks ago I discussed this issue privately with some other board members and they thought they should all be in tight. I wanted to agree with them but decided to wait until I launched the boat and put her in our lift so I could then play with the bunks on the trailer. Well yesterday we put the boat in the lift and today I went out to the driveway and sure as they said the middle bunks can move, but not float they pivot and provide a little give and guidance to the boat as she comes back on the trailer. OK this is what I am thinking the intention is. Does anyone else have their trailer around with the boat off to verify that I am not the only one in the world with this either novel approach or someone at boatmate took lunch and forgot where he/she was when they returned?

DOCDRS
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
good advice, will check mine next time, but im pretty sure they are tight

zegm
04-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Well the problem with that is my dealer knows I live 6 hours away and supposedly they called boatmate.
I checked the bunks again and they cannot move around they can just pivot a little on an axis that is parrallel with the trailer. I mean when I move them myself I can see how it could actually help line the boat up and provide a better fit.