PDA

View Full Version : Question for IPOD hookup

AaronWhitt82
04-18-2010, 05:49 AM
So when it comes to technology I'm not the greatest at keeping up with everything and how to hook them up or work them.... Sad, but true I don't even own an IPOD.
I still listen to compact disc's LOL.
I have a Clarion M475 CD player in the boat right now. It is Sirius Satellite ready and also has a hookup for an IPOD.
Well I think I'm going to get a subscription to Sirius radio to try it out to see if I like it. Seems pretty simple to get activated from reading on their website. I just need to get an "ESN" number or something from the cd player then use that on the website so they can identify my unit then go from there.
Well my girlfriend has an IPOD.... I believe it is an Apple, but not sure of the model. I think it is an older one. It would be nice to load it up with all sort of songs because bringing CD's on the boat anymore is a pain and always having to change them... So to hook the IPOD up to the stereo is this what I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360249498090&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems a bit expensive just to hook the IPOD up. I was wondering if there was any other way to do this?
Thanks

mmandley
04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
From my experience just get the MP3 jack and be done with it. You wont get charging but you have full use of the IPOD.

I have Sirius in my truck and in Claudia's new car. We just got home from a 2 week 4600 mile road trip and i used my I Phone almost the entire time.

Problem with Sirius is 1- you still have no control of the music. 2- it still plays the same group of songs. 3- You cant get a realy good mix of certain types of music.

I honestly love the satalight stereo or HD radio on my cable box in the house. I listen tot hat all the time and im never disappointed with the song selections.

Your deck is Sirius ready, that means you still have to add a receiver and antenna system most likely.

cab13367
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Aaron,

Your Clarion has an aux input jack on the front so just go to Radio Shack, Wal-mart, Best Buy, etc. and pick up a 3.5mm male/male cable for $5-$10 and you're all set. Or see below if you want to go a little fancier:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9524&highlight=iphone+integration

Al

AaronWhitt82
04-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies !!! I figured I would just be able to get a male/male cable to plug into the aux jack, but I wasn't sure because the owners manual said I needed the "interface cable adaptor." I guess the only benefit to the one I listed on Ebay is that it also charges the Ipod and I guess I would be able to control the Ipod from the head unit...
Going to Wal-Mart to pick one up now.... Getting the boat out of storage the 1st week of May !!!!!!!!!!!

badasshybrid
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I just bought a Clarion CMD5 with transom remote and the hole 9 yards. I got everything installed and plugged in that same cable you are showing to the back of the radio and it made the radio and plug short out. I called the stereo shop and they thought I was crazy because he had one playing in the sound room. I took the plug in the next day and he put it to the back of their CMD5 and it made theirs quit just like mine did. I had to go back home take everything back out of the boat and take it back to the shop. I exchanged it all for Alpine stuff.

AaronWhitt82
04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
You need to check out www.slacker.com

You can buy their Slacker Portable, load the Genre of music you like, or select only the artists you like, create artist playlists, ban or favorite certain songs, etc....

NO MONTHLY FEE!

I've had 1 for 3 years now, and it's perfect to taylor random music to your liking, unlike Sirius.

Thanks for posting that !!!!! I just checked into it and I think I might give it a shot. Only $99 for the portable one...

cab13367
04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the replies !!! I figured I would just be able to get a male/male cable to plug into the aux jack, but I wasn't sure because the owners manual said I needed the "interface cable adaptor." I guess the only benefit to the one I listed on Ebay is that it also charges the Ipod and I guess I would be able to control the Ipod from the head unit...

That is correct. I bought a similar cable for my Kenwood deck which allowed me to control my iPhone from the deck but it was very cumbersome to do so. So I abandoned it and bought an aux cable and cradle and now control the iPhone from the iPhone which is on a charging cradle at the helm.

Al