PDA

View Full Version : Installation of an OJ 3-Blade

viking
04-17-2010, 07:54 PM
OK -
So my dealer took off the Johnson prop at winterization and I had it tuned. I'm going to put it back on and never have removed or installed a prop. myself.
Is there any precautions I need to take?
I'm assuming the propeller stamp faces the back of the boat on the shaft??
Thanx

zegm
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
The prop shaft is tapered you cannot put it on wrong. Look else where on the boards for the prop tests and someone has a nice picture of the tools, including a chunk of wood you will need to keep the propeller from turning when you tighten it up.

viking
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks Zegm.
Checked out the thread and photo.
Worked like a charm:)

I think I'll have to invest in a prop puller for this fall when I go to take it off!
-OR- in the event I need to put a spare on during the season (knock on wood). Let's hope not ;)

zegm
04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey no problem. On my old ski boat it just had a castle type lock nut where you use a cotter pin. Once you pulled the cotter pin and loosened the nut you could turn it by hand and a little tap with the hammer and the prop just "dinged" off. This new Moomba uses these plastic lock nuts so a good 1/2 drive ratchet really helps and you will almost always need a puller. Luckily my local Ski Natique dealer trust me with his tools and lets me borrow them when needed. Heck he even gave my son some free gloves last week, well they were from his daughter who is like ranked in the top 3 of high school slalom skiers in Florida. Look up Monica Seals!

viking
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Ed. I was looking at getting a kit end of last year so I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy it here soon :)

I just put my prop on yesterday and could a swore it was 1 1/16" size socket though?

viking
04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I'll double check mine too!

viking
04-19-2010, 01:20 AM
I checked again and mine is 1 1/16" or 27mm. But the 1 1/16" is tighter and less play. 1 1/8" is way to big for my nylon locking nut??

Could it have something to do with my boat being an Outback and not LSV?

zegm
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Not sure about what the DD and VD use but I know there are 2 popular diameter prop shafts out there, 1" and 1 1/8". This could explain the differences.

cab13367
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Notice how the newest kits now come with a crescent wrench and not that stupid yellow bar.

Hey, I like my stupid yellow bar! It's ultra lightweight and anodized even. Can't say that about the low tech crescent :)

cab13367
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I checked again and mine is 1 1/16" or 27mm. But the 1 1/16" is tighter and less play. 1 1/8" is way to big for my nylon locking nut??

Could it have something to do with my boat being an Outback and not LSV?

Probably since the prop shaft diameters are different between DD and LSV. 27mm was a perfect fit on mine (but I didn't try a 1-1/16").

cab13367
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey, I like my stupid yellow bar! It's ultra lightweight and anodized even. Can't say that about the low tech crescent :)

And I just noticed that it is notched out for the prop puller nut as well. I didn't even notice that before :) Now if they would have incorporated a bottle opener on it, then it would really be the bomb!

zegm
04-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Honestly the machining and anodizing of that cool wrench in the US probably costs a lot more than a Chinese Cresent wrench. I was shocked the last time I went in Lowes and saw that my Vise Grip Brands is now made in China. Do we make anything in the US anymore????