PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable replaced

MEDIC151
06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I finally got around to replacing the steering cable on my 02 mobius d-drive the other day and found that it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Just getting to it is the hardest part with all the flooring that has to be removed. A friend came over once I finally found a cable in the Dallas area and running the cable only took about 20 minutes. The rest of the time was devoted to putting everything back in place. For those of you who have not done this and will in the future, open the front right seat and pull the cable from that direction when taking it out. I didn't, since the service guy said to take it out from under the dash. I found that it is much easier as you get a straight pull on the cable. I put it back in from that direction and had very little trouble. Instead of pulling on the rope that I had attached on to the end of it when taking the old one out, my friend lifted up on the rope and I just fed the cable in. That made all the difference as it kept it from getting wedged against the center ski locker.

I took it to the lake yesterday and aligned the steering wheel while out on the water by loosening the 7/16 nuts on the rack and lifting it so it wouldn't engage the teeth on the steering wheel. I will tell you that I found that with the rudder straight and the steering wheel centered in the driveway, I thought that was all the adjustment it would need. I didn't take into account the torque off the prop that you have to allow for, so the wheel was about a 1/4 turn off to the left before I readjusted it.

Medic