PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance after sitting 2yrs

Frenchy
04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey everybody! Just got a 2003 Moomba Mobius DD :) It hasn't been registered since 2007. I've changed the oil and filter already, but what else would you all service before hitting the lake for the summer. I have had a jet boat and i/o in the past but this is my first inboard.
Thx in advance!
________
silversurfer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

DOCDRS
04-17-2010, 05:58 PM
change the impeller, and tranny fluid,grease trailer bearings, remove the fuel from the tank and put in new, hopefully stabil was put in when stored. you could check the alignment .have you started it yet? don't let it run for more than a few seconds without water in it

Razzman
04-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Also check all the belts and hoses for cracks and checks. I'd pull the flame arrestor as well and clean it to make sure it's not clogged up junk. The shaft packing might also be suspect after sitting out of water so long, it's cheap and easy to change that as well.

Frenchy
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys. I had it out on the lake briefly to water test before bringing it home, after oil and fuel change of course. Belts and hoses look like they're in good shape.

What happens if the shaft packing is not up to snuff? Does it damage the shaft or leak?

Are there any driveshaft u-joints or CV's that need servicing? At idle in the water it almost sounds like a light driveshaft rattle on a 4-wheel drive. It could've just been the swim step clunking around in the chop though...

Recs on tranny fluid?

Thanks again for the help.
________
Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/)

DOCDRS
04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys. I had it out on the lake briefly to water test before bringing it home, after oil and fuel change of course. Belts and hoses look like they're in good shape.

What happens if the shaft packing is not up to snuff? Does it damage the shaft or leak?

Are there any driveshaft u-joints or CV's that need servicing? At idle in the water it almost sounds like a light driveshaft rattle on a 4-wheel drive. It could've just been the swim step clunking around in the chop though...

Recs on tranny fluid?

Thanks again for the help.

it will leak excessively...a drop every15- 30 secs is what you want . Tranny is dextron III. Download the manual on here or the 99 if you don't have one. Grease the rudder zerc once a year. Grab the prop and see if it moves left right or up down to check shaft holder.