PDA

View Full Version : I would like to upgrade my system.

jeffrogge
04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone I got tired of searching all the old threads so I figured I would make you come to me. I have an 07 outback v with the standard kenwood speakers and head unit. I have upgrades the cabin speakers to the db-651's. besides that nothing. I want some tower speakers and a subwoofer. I dont really know what all I need to purchase to accomplish this task. As in what amb, should I buy a sub in a premade box, should I upgrade the head unit, what tower speakers should I get....? I would like it all to look nice. I was hoping you could give me some ideas. I am a novice when it comes to this topic. Thanks .

2007 Outback V
04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
You'll have to give us a price range to work with. Also, what you want out of your system? ie. bass that shakes the lake or bass that evens out the music. Do you want to be able to clearly hear the tower speakers 80 ft behind the boat?

Razzman
04-17-2010, 10:13 AM
It all depends on your budget and tastes. You can spend hundreds or you can spend thousands. Give us more info and we can lead you on the correct path. We are very fortunate in that we have some of the best audio experts in the industry onboard with us here to guide you in the right direction.

you da man
04-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Also, do you hit the party cove and float alot and do you plan on doing the install yourself (sounds like you're not because you say you're a "novice" at this). HLCD tower speakers are expensive but are worth it compared to coax type speakers. Your budget will be the main factor. Just to give you a hint, I have an average size upgraded system but with top of the line equipment (4 Bullet HP HLCD tower, 6 Bullet HP cabin, JL Audio sub, 3 JL Audio amps, 3 batteries, onboard charger, WS-420 EQ, and HSE Revolution) and total cost was just shy of $6,000 installed so you can see, your wallet and/or your wife may go into shock

viking
04-17-2010, 11:27 AM
It all depends on your budget and tastes. You can spend hundreds or you can spend thousands. Give us more info and we can lead you on the correct path. We are very fortunate in that we have some of the best audio experts in the industry onboard with us here to guide you in the right direction.

I totally agree! Depending on how much you wanna spend and it can all be had :) Idea of budget $$ and then you'll get more specific pointers.

Brianinpdx
04-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Jeff -

By all means give the group some feedback about budget because that will guide a lot of the legit advice you'll find on here. Something to think about even before you define cost is to take a look at your system in 4 categories independently of each other:

Cabin
Tower
Sub
Charging

I say independently of each other because you may opt to expand 1 or 2 of these areas and not others. The caveat here is that even tho these areas focus on very different aspects of a sound system, the linking factor is the charging system. You cannot go getting carried away on any of these 3 areas without the appropriate battery setup.

So what im saying is dont blow the whole budget on gear. The points brought up by the group thus far are good ones and yes, adding subwoofer will give you almost 2 octaves of sound that your not hearing currently. Adding a tower setup can have a huge impact as well. Having a feeling for how important it is to put a lot of sound on target at 80 feet versus 15 feet (wake board / wake surf) is needed.

So give it some thought and take it from there.

Cheers!

-Brian
Exile Audio

jeffrogge
04-18-2010, 12:33 AM
THanks for the ideas so far. I dont want lake shaking bass I just want it to sound good. Currently when I am driving the music gets washed out by the boat. I would hopefully like to spend no more than 3 grand, I would like to be able to hear the music 80 ft back. Plus looking cool we be alright. I probably will not self install it. I hope this helps you help me. thanks everyone.

mmandley
04-18-2010, 07:04 AM
3K is very realistic for a good solid system.

So many ways to go on that kind of coin.

With out you installing it now you have to factor in install labor.

Do you have tower speakers now? If you do then upgrading them is a lot cheaper. If you don't then you can plan on 1K just for a decent tower set up with install labor.

The Cabin speaker is a no brainer for budget, dollar to dollar its the polk DB 651s. 2 sets can be had for generally under 200 and you can install them yourself. Simple 4 bolts and connect the wires.

Sub system gets a little harder as a custom enclosure is the most popular way to go. These can run you around 300 to 500 and a woofer is 100 to 600 depending on how big you want to go.

I would highly look into Kicker amps. 700.5 for cabins and sub for a budget minded system. Runs the cabins well and the sub.

Then your left with the tower. First you need to look at other boats, see what you like the look of. Can, pods, exp Bullets, Exile XM7s, Wet Sounds.

Basically for 1K you can have a pretty rocking cabin and sub system. That will leave you apx 1k to 1200 for a tower setup and 800 for installation.

Charging system do you have 2 batteries? If not then you need to allow 200 for a second battery and switching system to run it.

You can start a really nice system for 3K this year and always upgrade later. So look at what people are running, see what you like the look of and we can really get you there from that start.

jeffrogge
04-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Why the custom inclosure vs the sub in the floor? I like the exile and wet sounds tower speakers. Can you still open the bimini top with them on the tower? THe kicker amp you mentioned will power the sub and the cabin speakers? Then I need another one for the tower speakers? the same one? I wish I was smarter about this hehe. I did already order the polks to replace the cabin. I appreciate the help. thanks again.

you da man
04-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Jeff, I sent you a PM

tazz3069
04-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Jeff,
When I did my system, I was in the same boat as you were. I removed all the stock kenwood speakers and replaced them with the DB-651in the cabin. I put four MB Quart in the tower. I also put a 10" boaton acoustic G3 sub under the driver dash. I purchased the sub enclosure from www.audioformz.com All the cabin and sub woofer is being power by a Kicker MX750.5 the fifth channel is pushing the sub. The tower speaker is being pushed by a Kick MX350.4. I also changed the HU. I got rid of the stock one and replaced it with a unit that has 3 RCA outputs. One for the cabin, one for the tower, and one for the sub. I am very happy with my system. And it sounds awesome at 80' back. Look at my pictures of my stereo install. I have had it in for 2 seasons and ZERO problems.
Tazz

jeffrogge
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
I am loving the ideas and feedback thanks everyone. Okay since I am in Wyo and we dont have anyone super close by to install a lot of the stuff, I do have some electrician friends which will help me. So my point is, if I start with powering the cabin speakers and a sub will I need to add a battery? if I could keep it simple and just get started before I can drag my boat to someone to do the hard stuff that would be nice. Would I need anything else if I started that way. new cabin speakers, sub, amp, wiring stuff? how about a crossover or eq? thanks again. If any of you just want to come put a stereo in my boat....hehe

viking
04-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I'll probably have that price range into mine when all is said and done. Been buying stuff all winter. I have the outback so a bit smaller boat but all the stuff to upgrade costs the same :)
I'll have new cockpit speakers, new HU, 12in sub, 2new amps, and 4 roswell cans with kicker 6 1/2's on the tower that I bought used from the forum (another member upgrading their stuff). That happens alot :mrgreen:
OH - and 2nd battery with Blue Seas Switch (thanks RAZZ)

On a 2nd note.........where do you do ur boating? Tongue Reservoir??

Razzman
04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Jeff my suggestion would be to go ahead and do the second batt ... no you don't absolutely need it with that setup BUT ... more sound and more power always leads to more floating and playtime and you don't want to be stuck on the lake without juice to start. It takes that out of the equation and less worry. For the money it's the best thing you can do for around $200.

Todd_Droz
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm exactly the same boat (figuratively) as Jeff. I just bought the db651s to replace my cabin speakers as a start and was looking for next steps. I want the get the Kicker 700.5 amp and add a sub while making a custom made enclosure next. I will be doing all of that install myself and was wondering the exact same questions about how to begin expanding my system.

Of course, I'm going to have to piece mine together slowly as I don't have the same budget right now since I blew my whole budget on the boat itself (new to me '03 Mobius that I haven't even taken delivery of yet - still doing some gelcoat and swim pad repair.) So it sounds like I'm on the same path with my system. I also am looking for a nice sound first, then adding the tower setup as I don't have anything on there at all right now. After the amp and sub for the cabin, should I add the second battery before moving on to the tower and amp for that?

I just started following this forum, and enjoy reading where people are actually helpful there don't seem to be any flamewars or a lot of immaturity like you see on so many other message boards.

jeffrogge
04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Viking we do go to tongue river reservoir. Where do you go? okay so I will just start with the battery then. what is the switch for the battery if someone would not mind explaining?

Razzman
04-19-2010, 10:36 AM
The manual battery switch (http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_145&products_id=148) allows you to start the boat via the starting battery (#1) and then switch over to the stereo battery (#2) or combine them (#1 & #2) in an emergency. The manual switch is cheaper but the cons are you must remember to switch it or the purpose is defeated. If you forget to switch the batteries will not charge.

An automatic charging relay (http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329) (ACR) switches between batteries for use and charging as the situation changes (does it for you) and still allows you to manually combine for an emergency.

you da man
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
You're gonna have tower and sub the best money spent will be in a Wetsounds WS420 EQ so you can tune and/or control the volume in each zone. Plus PA feature is fun. I would also suggest an HSE Revolution if you plan on listening to music an board because it automatically reduces volume when you back off the throttle.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
You're gonna have tower and sub the best money spent will be in a Wetsounds WS420 EQ so you can tune and/or control the volume in each zone. Plus PA feature is fun. I would also suggest an HSE Revolution if you plan on listening to music an board because it automatically reduces volume when you back off the throttle.

is there a setting stop on there so the volume always comes back to where you set it or how exactly does it work.

you da man
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
is there a setting stop on there so the volume always comes back to where you set it or how exactly does it work.

Yep, you set the volume at idle then at boarding and it will return.

jeffrogge
04-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks you da man, that is awesome, everytime I am in the boat I say that should be invented and low and behold already done.