PDA

View Full Version : How prevalent are cracks in Moomba gel coats?

kl2657
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I am considering purchasing either a Mobius XLV or LSV... But as I've been doing my research on these boats, one thing that has been a concern for me is the frequency that people have reported stress cracks appearing in the gel coat in various locations.

How many of you (Mobius owners) have experienced gel coat cracks? Is this more common among wakeboard boats in general due to the added stresses of ballest, towers, etc?

I understand that gel coat cracks are cosmetic and that SC will often fix under warranty. I'm just not sure if I am up for that kind of headache.

My current boat (2001 Four Winns Horizon 180 o/b) has experienced it's fair share of trailering and rough water use and it still looks like the day I bought it new.... No cracks anywhere.

Can any of you current Mobius owners put my fears to rest?

Thanks!

Lawdog
04-16-2010, 10:36 PM
I've had my XLV for a little over a week now and she still looks like the day I bought her. :rolleyes: I'm probably not the best test subject right now...

Razzman
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Rest easy, Moomba's are no more suceptable than any other brand, less in some cases. It can happen on any boat and if it does you simply go to the dealer and have it fixed. I can name one of the big three that is notorius for it.

I've had mine two years now without one crack. I will say from traveling many forums i see less of those reported here than anywhere else. Also, a lot of it has to do with how you take care of/treat the boat as well.

mmandley
04-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Ive had the boat for 1 year now and not a single crack. I have drilled numerous small holes for different reasons and still no cracks.

I would suspect the biggest are would be the tower mounting area. As long as the bolts are tight and you don't overweight the tower this shouldn't be a problem.

I put easily 3K miles on my trailer last year, highway, back roads, rough roads, and even a 1 lane unpaved mountain road, <we dont want to talk about why i was even there>

Not a scratch or chip or crack in my gell coat from all this.

Trailer has a few rock dig chips :(

sanity
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I had a few small ones where the bimini hardware was fixed to the boat and near one or two of the tower posts. Had those fixed by SC just before my one year anniversary. They weren't any big deal and I haven't seen any since.

I have heard of several Mastercraft having stress cracks all over the gel coat (like to the point that they were trying to get MC to replace the boat), but maybe that is just statistics at work given how many MC boats are out there.

Chris

moombadaze
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
no cracking in the 03 lsv-had it for 5 yrs, no cracking in the 08 lsv

zegm
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I just spent a week with a electric buffer putting some nice 3M marine wax all over our huil. Not a crack to be seen anywhere and she is a 2008 LS.

Ian Brantford
04-17-2010, 08:15 PM
No cracking with my 2005 XLV.

kaneboats
04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
No cracking on my 2000 O/B and I added an aftermarket tower to it. All good. No cracking on the 2008 LSV.

OBV6
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
My 06 OBV has been a trouble free. I have been running a bare foot bar off the port side and have not seen a single crack on either side of the tower mounts. Same for the wake plate mounts and the transom which are typically where you see stress risers in the glass.

rc5695
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
My '00 Kamberra has a few cracks in it, but nothing major. A few small ones around the swim platform grab-handle are the most noticeable. I think there are a few around the bottom of where the platform screws on too. Nothing you can even feel with your fingernail. I just bought the boat, so it was from the previous owner. Doubt SC will fix them since I'm the 2nd owner and the boat's so old...