PDA

View Full Version : Installing Exile's LSV Subwoofer Enclosure Video

Razzman
04-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Here's a video sent to me by Brian @ Exile showing how to install their new LSV subwoofer enclosure. The video features Brian and our resident video ham Mike Mandley demonstrating the install...NO Oscar for you Mike! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtx7yg84GA

mmandley
04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes well i wasnt exactly planning on doing the install of it myself. Hell ive only put iot in like twice before that video was shot. Course like they say TV adds 10 pounds to you. Wait maybe its 50 with HD IDK but man i dont much care for watching that video :-(

Razzman
04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Just giving you a bad time is all! :p Love the excursion on that Big12!

mmandley
04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Its ok man im my own worst critic. I did awesome last summer losing 70lbs but then haven't been working hard enough to keep it off and gained 30 back boooo. Im working at it though.

Its hard to see but the grill on the sub, stick your finger in there and that woofer will touch your finger, not tap touch lol. First time i saw how much it moved i asked Brian is that normal?

Razzman
04-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Hey i hear ya i'm struggling this year too with my weight, getting older i guess.

Brianinpdx
04-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks Razz -

I'm not any super model either Mike... But hey, a simple what this is, and how we did it goes a long way for guys wanting to instal the box. Simple , simple!

Maybe we reshoot with hooters girls?

-Brian

Razzman
04-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Razz -

I'm not any super model either Mike... But hey, a simple what this is, and how we did it goes a long way for guys wanting to instal the box. Simple , simple!

Maybe we reshoot with hooters girls?

-Brian

Well that would get the cardio up right? :p

kaneboats
04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
I'll volunteer to shoot the video.

cab13367
04-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Hey Brian,

Man, I could have used that video the other night! I really thought it wasn't going to fit under my dash. But I got mine in a different way - I slid it left side first (so the sub hole faces to port) and I slid it over the seat base, not to the side of it. Once it cleared the seat base, I just rotated it in position. I didn't have to remove the seat tracks either.

Maybe I should shoot my own video (using the Hooter girls of course!).

Al

kaneboats
04-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Al, the offer stands-- you line up the girls, I'll shoot the video.

mmandley
04-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Yea i will have to try your way Al to see if it works. Biggest problem with the box is the weight of the speakers. My woofer is close to 40lbs so that is a beast to maneuver as well.

Biggest difference in our woofers is the VC and Magnet on mine are much larger to handle the power. More power is more weight.

ian ashton
04-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I thought it was odd that you were installing it loaded, glad he noted that haha!

What size voicecoils does Exile use? 3" 4"?

mmandley
04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Yes normaly you would install it unloaded, because then you have to bolt it down. But there will be times when you need it out and you just dont want to bolt it down till the season starts again but may want to jam out LOL.

I normal 12 inch subs from Exile are 2inch aluminum VC.

The Big 12 is a 2.5inch VC

The Big 15 is a 3.0 inch VC

My Big 12 was beefed up considerably. Its a 3inch VC like the 15 and had the 15s magnet on it. I basically have a 15inch speaker with a 12 inch basket and woofer face. Weighs in at 36lbs just for the speaker.

This is the Stock Big 12 specs right off Exile.

- 3.0” 4 layer high temperature aluminum voice coil
- 19mm of peak to peak field excursion
- Triple stacked 230oz. computer optimized motor structure
- Hybrid paper cone reinforced by a polypropylene dustcap
- Rubber mounting gasket and mounting feet
- This woofer will hurt you. Have a nice day!

And mines a bit beefier then this basically.
I wanted a 15 originally but its just not possible in the space i have. So i went the next best route and that's make a killer speaker that handles like a 15. Only Drawback is it cant hit the frequency a 15 does, nor does it move that same amount of air. But man that speaker pounds and its more then i ever expected even from a 15 lol.

moombadaze
04-17-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm sure you will need some help with lighting, so I'm willing to help out

cab13367
04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Yea i will have to try your way Al to see if it works. Biggest problem with the box is the weight of the speakers. My woofer is close to 40lbs so that is a beast to maneuver as well.

Biggest difference in our woofers is the VC and Magnet on mine are much larger to handle the power. More power is more weight.

I put mine in unloaded as I secured it with screws from inside the box. Also, I connected the wires to the terminal cup from under the starboard bow seat after the box was in place as I did not leave enough slack in the subwoofer wires to do it your way. That was fun!

BTW, Brian just made installing my heater a lot more complicated :)

Razzman
04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm pulling out the boat this weekend to remove the Memphis sub and box. Something tells me i may have to run new wire from the amp over as it's probably not long enough. Guess i'll know next week when i get the box and sub.

Mike what style is the terminal cup? clip? banana?

mmandley
04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
It is a clip style but a realy nice one. It has a puch button top and the wire feeds threw the side for a solid connection.

I ran 12 guage wire to my sub and it fits fine. I would expect those terminals to accept 10 at the biggest.

Brianinpdx
04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I have to admit, It's kind of nice from my point of view... having people out in the field with hands on experience with the enclosure. Because when the 50 questions come up, you guys have all the answers. and practical ones too!

Razz - if you have 22 gauge cable (or the like), Id run some beefier gauge and leave some slack as Cab found out.

Cab - I forgot to ask you on the phone yesterday, how the output was on the sub after you sorted out the wiring questions. You noted it blended well, but do you have decent output?

Mike - Not to be a stickler for details, but in the Exile line, Shift 12 has 2.0 VC, XPE has 2.5 VC, and all the big series have 3.0 VC's. what makes yours special is it has a heavier gauge flat wound high temp copper coil which will give it about 15-20% more power handling than a regular one. Seeing as the regular verison will take upwards of 2K watts, yours is got some extra wooof! And before anyone gets spooked about the hybrid design on the big 12, the paper cone part is sealed / sandwiched under the composite cone, to add rigidity while still being VERY light weight. This equates to very fast and accurate bass while still staying safe in a marine environment.

Cheers!

- Brian
Exile Audio

ian ashton
04-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I just checked em out on the Exile site. The motor and basket on the Big 15 look a lot like the 4 Shocker Super Extremes I have in my basement.

mmandley
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I have to admit, It's kind of nice from my point of view... having people out in the field with hands on experience with the enclosure. Because when the 50 questions come up, you guys have all the answers. and practical ones too!

Razz - if you have 22 gauge cable (or the like), Id run some beefier gauge and leave some slack as Cab found out.

Cab - I forgot to ask you on the phone yesterday, how the output was on the sub after you sorted out the wiring questions. You noted it blended well, but do you have decent output?

Mike - Not to be a stickler for details, but in the Exile line, Shift 12 has 2.0 VC, XPE has 2.5 VC, and all the big series have 3.0 VC's. what makes yours special is it has a heavier gauge flat wound high temp copper coil which will give it about 15-20% more power handling than a regular one. Seeing as the regular verison will take upwards of 2K watts, yours is got some extra wooof! And before anyone gets spooked about the hybrid design on the big 12, the paper cone part is sealed / sandwiched under the composite cone, to add rigidity while still being VERY light weight. This equates to very fast and accurate bass while still staying safe in a marine environment.

Cheers!

- Brian
Exile Audio

Not being a stickler at all man. Your being accurate and correct.

But i still like my explanation better LOL.

Brianinpdx
04-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Hey Johnny - Hopefully it went out last week. I'll be at the office Sunday and will check and get you a tracker. you should have it this upcoming week. Plumb a speaker cable and you've got yourself a 15 min plug and play deal.

-Brian

oh wait. ups lost it? ok, thats a bad joke! (was reading on the supra forum)

Razzman
04-19-2010, 12:57 AM
I can throw on a thong and do an install video for ya! It'd be my pleasure!:p

Yewwwww! :p

kaneboats
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
That video'll be selling like hotcakes on ebay before you know it.

dru1974
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
so they will send that box out, what is the price, will they ship it to Canada and finally how much foot room remains?

Brianinpdx
04-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Dru -

Yes, the LSV box is complete. It's about a week turnaround to get them out the door as its a custom enclosure and 100% hand assembled.

Shipping to Canuck land shouldnt be a problem. Shoot me an email to: [email protected] and we'll cost out shipping etc. I'll need a postal code.

Cheers!

dru1974
04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Will do thanx brian

cab13367
04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I just wanted to correct my post on page 1 of this thread - I slid the enclosure over the seat base with the sub hole facing to port, not to starboard. Just in case someone decided to try and duplicate my method. I corrected my initial post as well.

cab13367
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I've been meaning to post these pics for a while now. The sequence below shows how you can slide the Exile sub enclosure in without removing the seat. This is on an 06 - the seats are different for the newer boats so this method may not work for all LSV's.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6523.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6524.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6525.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6526.jpg

offaxis82
06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
The 2005 LSV had a lot lower freeboard, does Exile make a version of this that'll fit the '05 hull design?

Brianinpdx
06-29-2010, 03:26 AM
axis - Yup. got you covered. Shoot me an email to [email protected] and I can layout some options for you. The Exile enclosures vary from boat model year so they fit your boat correctly.

-Brian
Exile Audio