PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tax refund

you da man
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Any other states doing this besides Texas? I'm not talking about federal tax deduction on fuel for using your boat as a "business expense" <wink wink>. In Texas you can submit Form 06-106 from the Texas Comptroller and get 20 cents back on every gallon of gas you put in your boat provided you have receipts (some say they didn't even submit receipts but the form clearly states you must have them).

jester
04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Well that would be nice but i live in Oregon and they like to take my money.

Razzman
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
In California? Yeah right. :mad:

2009operator
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I wonder if I can do it even though I work for the government......talk always tends toward work convo's! haha

zabooda
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Washington has it. I was going to use the provision but their was a lot of book keeping and that was when gas was $1.30 a gallon. Now, it may be worth it. You end up getting the gas tax back but you then pay the sales tax.

RobertJ
04-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Some might laugh at the Grillobius, but since we have the grill, porta potty(yes we carry one on board) and we have room to sleep our accountant says this meets the definition of a second home. There are a few other items but I don't want to give you guys to much ammo to tell me to buy a pontoon boat

By the way we went one trip without the porta potty and when my six year old was floating by the swim platform with a funny smile :mrgreen: and we saw the corn torpedo:eek: it kinda spoiled the mood to jump in. That I why I carry the porta potty and get stuck cleaning the thing out. Of course the whole family uses it but me (6'4", 300 pounds doesn't work on a "porta").

kaneboats
04-16-2010, 01:05 AM
I was wondering why you had that DirecTV dish on there. Makes sense now.

RobertJ
04-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Kane, the dish has many uses. 1. TV reception 2. Wok for the grill 3. Wash basin 4. umbrella for those rainy Oregon days.

VA LSV
04-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Virginia does. Save save your receipts, get the form from the Game & Inland Fish website, send them in and they refund the road tax. I usually get around $100.

sandm
04-16-2010, 07:07 AM
robertj, I'd be intrigued to see how an accountant writes off a skiboat. mine told me that my supra, even with a potti and bbq would not pass the irs common sense test and not to take the chance.

you da man
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
robertj, I'd be intrigued to see how an accountant writes off a skiboat. mine told me that my supra, even with a potti and bbq would not pass the irs common sense test and not to take the chance.

I was gonna say the samething. Hope the IRS doesn't own a Moomba or it will...that's not even close to falling in the "gray" area, that's just cheating on taxes.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
the accountant can say whatever he wants but ultimately your the one paying in the end if you get caught.

you da man
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
the accountant can say whatever he wants but ultimately your the one paying in the end if you get caught.

So the grill is considered a "galley" and the sunpad area is considered a "berth" and then the porta potty is considered the "head", then you have to stay the night on it at minimum 14 nights. I thought there is supposed to be an "enclosed cabin".

zabooda
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM

IRS Rules On What Makes A Boat A Second Home
Nobody every said owning a boat was cheap, but thanks to IRS rules for tax deductions on second homes, it can be made slightly more affordable. The key is in knowing exactly what constitutes and what does not constitute a second home and how that might apply to you and your boat. Recognize in advance that any boating deduction you claim will be scrutinized, so stick to the letter of the law.

The qualifiers that make your boat a second home are, not so surprisingly, roughly the same as for a primary residence. You need a galley, a place to sleep and a head, but you don't want to fudge, here. A barbeque out on deck does not a galley make, and throwing a mattress across the seats behind the captain's chair doesn't equate to sleeping quarters. But if your boat has an enclosed cabin with the aforementioned features, and you have a secured loan on the boat, you may be able to claim a tax deduction on the interest. (Note: A secured loan is one in which the borrower pledges an asset as collateral for the loan. In the case of a boat loan, the boat is collateral and may be reclaimed by the lender if the borrower defaults.)

There are other circumstances that can affect your ability to claim your boat as a second home. For instance, you can claim only one. So if you already claim a vacation condo or a mobile home, you cannot claim your boat as well. Then there's the whole rental issue. If you rent out your boat–even for as little as a single day–you must then spend a minimum of 15 nights aboard it within that calendar year to claim the second home deduction. To be on safe side, you want to document those nights, too.

Bottom line is to keep things clean and simple, sticking to the letter of the law, and you can enjoy your boat and get a tax break from Uncle Sam for doing so.