PDA

View Full Version : Prop Testing Tomorrow - Need Input Please

cab13367
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I will be testing the three props below tomorrow on my 2006 LSV with the 325 HP engine (same boat as current LSV) and would like your input on my test protocol:

OJ #454 – 13.7 x 17.5, 0.110 cup (stock prop)
Acme #537 – 13.5 x 16, 0.105 cup
OJ #466 – 14.25 x 14, 0.090 cup (wakeboard prop)

I bought the 537 from tazz over the winter and mandley was nice enough to let me borrow his wakeboard prop for the purpose of this test (not that he needs it right now :).

The reason for the prop testing is that I am looking for a prop with a little more holeshot because last year, I found the limits of my stock prop. I had 1400 lbs of ballast full and 7 adults on the boat plus 1 behind the boat that I was trying to get up on a wakeboard. It took about two minutes for the boat to plane out.

Of course, the wakeboard prop would take care of any holeshot concerns but since I do most of my boating with light loads, I’m not sure I want to pay the gas usage penalty as well as give up several mph on the top end all the time. So I hear that the 13.5 x 16 is a good prop that is in between the stock and the all out wakeboard prop. This was the prop suggested by both my dealer and nettle props when I described to them my boating habits.

Below is the data that I plan to record for each prop. I am not concerned about wakesurfing – I have no trouble getting to 10 mph with a boat full of people and the surf ballast filled and I only pull up at partial throttle anyway when surfing so I see no value in upgrading the prop for surfing only (sorry Ed :).

Please review the list below and let me know if I am missing anything. I am using 23 mph as my test speed as that’s the speed I normally ride at. Note that the first series of tests is with ballast empty – only the last set is with ballast full. I am going to fill my three wakeboard sacs full (1400lbs) plus I’m going to fill my 750# sac full and put it right in the center of the boat between the driver’s and the observer’s seat to simulate people weight as only me and my son will be on board.

General:

Date & Time
Air temp
Wind
Water conditions
Wakeplate setting
Gas gauge
Engine Hours

All Ballast Empty:

Top speed
RPM at top speed
Wakeplate setting

0-23 MPH - 1st run
0-23 MPH - 2nd run
RPM @ 23 MPH
Wakeplate setting

RPM @ 20MPH
RPM @ 25 MPH
RPM @ 30 MPH
Wakeplate setting
All Ballast full (500x2+400+750=2060):

0-23 MPH - 1st run
0-23 MPH - 2nd run
RPM @ 23MPH
Wakeplate setting

sandm
04-15-2010, 02:56 PM
looks very similar to the testing ed and crew are doing. the results you get should be very good. you might want to include 35mph rpm's empty for the slalom crowd, and might be worthwhile since you are filling the sacs up anyway to do the 0-10mph runs and rpm's for the surfing crowd just for kicks.
if you want it all posted up in a single form to print once you are done, lmk and we can add the data to the thread ed has going, or perhaps create a final prop test data thread with all the results in it :)

good luck..

kaneboats
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Sounds good. I'm very interested in what the mid-level prop will do for much the same reasons. I only run very full for surfing. We still ski too. We also run fast on the way home sometimes from 10 miles up river so I can't give away too much top end either.

moombadaze
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
We need to get All the results onto one thread when this is all done.

cab13367
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
looks very similar to the testing ed and crew are doing. the results you get should be very good. you might want to include 35mph rpm's empty for the slalom crowd, and might be worthwhile since you are filling the sacs up anyway to do the 0-10mph runs and rpm's for the surfing crowd just for kicks.
if you want it all posted up in a single form to print once you are done, lmk and we can add the data to the thread ed has going, or perhaps create a final prop test data thread with all the results in it :)

good luck..

Thanks for the feedback sandm. I have my form already made up but thanks anyway.

I might add the 35mph rpms but probably not the 0-10. Like I said, I never use full throttle to pull up a surfer even with just my stock prop, 1150 in surf ballast full, and a full boat of people so I don't think there's any value in it. Also, I would have to reconfigure the ballast for surfing which would take a lot of time.

Al

stretch55
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Al I have the acme 537 on my xlv. I remember you asking me yesterday what I had. So today I went and looked.

mmandley
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Yea my wakeboard pro is pretty insaine on the hole shot. Every time someone had driven my boat thats never drove it has jerked the handle right out of my hands. Thats pretty hard to do since im a bigger guy i have a death grip on my handle LOL.

Ive droped the hammer a few times from a dead stop and people get tossed, or drinks get droped, its a realy torquey prop but all this comes at a price, my top speed is only 36ish but i can do 36ish empty or with 3K lbs haha

cab13367
04-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey Al I have the acme 537 on my xlv. I remember you asking me yesterday what I had. So today I went and looked.

Stretch,

How's that 537 working for you? Any trouble getting on plane with ballast full and several people on board?

Al

kaneboats
04-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Al, please don't hesitate to include any subjective notes you have to offer. This whole thing is part objective and a little subjective too. I'm hoping all of us testers can offer the same kind of thing after next week.