PDA

View Full Version : Seat Tracks Stuck!

markcr
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
My driver seat tracks on my 05 Outback are really hard to move forward and backward. Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Razzman
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Unbolt the seat, remove the tracks and clean them out real good. Put a very light coating of moly grease where they contact and in the track groove and reassemble.

PatL
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Must be an 05 thing but I have the exact same seat track problem. I have a relatively simple question on this. How do you loosen the back 2 bolts on the seat? I'm have trouble with this bc the bolts in the back are hidden within the track and therefore I cannot loosen the nuts (bolts are spinning around). Anyone got a simple solution for this? Thanks

markcr
04-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Razz. I'll get to work on it this evening. PatL, there is a thread I saw where someone installed a swivel base on the seat track. There are some good pictures. You can search for it and it might detail the seat dis-assembly.

Razzman
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Must be an 05 thing but I have the exact same seat track problem. I have a relatively simple question on this. How do you loosen the back 2 bolts on the seat? I'm have trouble with this bc the bolts in the back are hidden within the track and therefore I cannot loosen the nuts (bolts are spinning around). Anyone got a simple solution for this? Thanks

Pat i had a boat once with the same issue. I stuck a flat blade screwdriver in the track between the bolt head and track and wedged it, that keeps the bolt from turning.

PatL
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks Razzman...I'll try that tonight

PatL
04-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Mark missed your post initially I'll search that string as well thanks for the info

Razzman
04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Razz. I'll get to work on it this evening. PatL, there is a thread I saw where someone installed a swivel base on the seat track. There are some good pictures. You can search for it and it might detail the seat dis-assembly.

That would be Newty, CRIX and Myself if I remember correctly.

kaneboats
04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I think Ian posted a howto once upon a time for the OB.

markcr
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, I took the seat apart and the seat tracks off and boy were they cruddy. After a good dowsing of brake cleaner followed by some fresh lube, they slide MUCH better now. They still stick in some areas but that has more to due with the cheap materials and design of the pot metal track itself. I can see replacing the whole mechanism at some point. Anyway, it works much better now. Thanks Razzman for the suggestion.

cab13367
04-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Yes. On my boat, if u slide the seat all the way back you can access the head of the rear bolts. Just push them up with your hands so they don't spin while you remove the nut.