PDA

View Full Version : Virus warning

pickle311
04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi, if you guys receive a PM titled "Important message from the forum administration! " delete it. The scan link they provide contains a virus. The PM I received is below.

Dear, jaicomo;hubert;Wake-Up;pickle311;jimmyd222!

Spam sending from your computer was detected.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://antivirus-2010.If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).

I have intentionally deleted part of the link in there so no one clicks it. This is a nasty virus and I've had several people at work get infected with the same one. Each one resulted in having to wipe the hard drive and start all over. Fortunately we have recent backups.

I knew this was bogus as soon as I saw it. I only access this website from 2 computers, my work computer and my home computer. My home computer is a Mac so I know it's not sending spam. My work computer gets scanned regularly and I'd know immediately if something were up with it. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as I'm sure most will reveive some sort of similar PM.

kaneboats
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Pickle, any idea who sent it?

moombadaze
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
let us know who sent it-we will ban them

csmsk
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!

Razzman
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Yea i banned his butt this morning, guess he got a couple off anyway.

kaneboats
04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought I fried him yesterday. Might have been a different one though.

Razzman
04-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I thought I fried him yesterday. Might have been a different one though.

Maybe it was you! I've toasted quite a few in the last few days and lost count of names. :p

moombadaze
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
had to look -Kaneboats killed him off

pickle311
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
It was JosephWard that sent it to me. I didn't post the name because I saw that he was already banned and these people usually create several names. It's not safe to try and target a specific name to avoid because they'll get you one way or another. It's more about the content.