PDA

View Full Version : New LSV Sub completed.

mmandley
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Spent some time at Exile today and they have what appears to be the final version of the LSV box completed and in the boat. Its a much beefier box then the version shown at the Tech and Tune. This box hits a lot harder then the other version.

You can actually hear the bass at wake board distances.

insane.

Pic 1 is box only in place.

Pic 2 is the facial panel with the Heater vent installed.

Spec
100% Composite enclosure
1.9 cu foot
Ported
Tuned @ 38 Hz
Vinyl wrapped fascia panel with plumbed for heater.
Big12 - 1500W

csmsk
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Very nice. Love the clean look of the grill.

stretch55
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
You got any feet room left under there?? LOL

ian ashton
04-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Looks great!

moombadaze
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
looks really nice and clean. just a shame to loose so much space

cab13367
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I saw and heard this sub enclosure today and it sounds amazing. And the quality of the fabrication is outstanding. Also, the pics are misleading - there is still plenty of room for your feet. You can see that the front panel just comes up to the 1st cupholder.

RobertJ
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I bet "plenty of room" does not include size 14's. Too bad because I sure would like to do that mod.

mmandley
04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Yes there is foot room left. No not much room for a 14 LOL. But Robert my friend Steve is 6.5 and wears 13s and he can sit in the seat and drive with that box in there. Yes its a little tight but even he said its not to bad. It looks tighter then it is.

Also one of the biggest concerns i had was losing foot space so i had a hard requirement that it not pass the cup holders. I want to be able to use those cup holders, and also it still gives it a factory feel. If i only had 1/2 a cup holder or 1 cup holder then it would look weird LOL.

We also shot some video of how to install the box and panel.

viking
04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Looks great and i'm sure it sounds it too! I'm still trying to picture a 5ft tall guy with size 13 feet :D

Brianinpdx
04-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Gents -

A few things to keep in mind about this project. When Mike asked Exile to design an enclosure for him that would compete with the elite custom enclosure shops, he did so with the mind set that he wanted something he could install himself and wouldn't take up any more space than a existing sealed 10" woofer. The end result is a bass reflex design that houses 1 of three different Exile woofers and is built like no other enclosure on the planet. Sometimes people don't understand what is involved to take things to the level Mike wanted to get to. This collaboration included audio engineers, enclosure design guru's and even two different structural engineers from a completely different industry. Here's some highlights:

Construction: All connecting points are lapped dato'd. This is not so easy to do as the enclosure design morphs into an multi angled shape to fit over the hump / kick panel and seat notch outs. All material is cut on a CNC computer controlled milling device that offers an exactly perfect interlocking cuts/ fit. Even the internal bracing allows for a perfect cradle for the big12 1500W woofer. (The woofers weighs in at ~36lbs)

Materials: 100% composite with multiple panels using varied wall thickness to target specific internal resonance fluctuation. Even the epoxy that bonds the materials together was tested upwards of 3600 continuous watts power handling. The material itself is a proprietary blend of composites and has a material composition that is stronger than anything we've seen. This box is ultra tuff!.

In short, this is an amazing box! The Moomba crowd can be proud to be the first to have a product like this. As word has spread about this, we've had owners from every major boat brand ask, "will you design a version for my boat?". In time, sure, but right now its and exclusive thing for the Moomba folks!

Cheers

-Brian
Exile Audio

Brianinpdx
04-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Razz - I decided to post your PM to this thread because I'm guessing several people will all have similar questions

[Raz asks] How much foot room is lost? By my calcs from measuring mine the other day it looks to be 7-8" ???
-- Not much foot room is lost. At the base of the kick panel you loose just under 5" (special note to robert size 14 shoe. damn! those are big feet!)

[Raz asks] It's big obviously, what are the cubic feet?
-- 1.85 cu feet before driver displacement. Keep in mind the way the box gets this big is because of the multi angle way we stack the shape, up and over the hump. Reflex tuned to 38Hz with this volume makes it hit LOW!!!

[Raz asks] Will any 12" sub work or is it optimized for yours?
-- Of course its optimized for Exile subs. But that doesn't mean other woofers wont work. Need to check the mfg specs on mount diameter, depth and box volumes just to make sure. But it's pretty friendly.

[Raz asks] How does the facia attach?
-- we looked at driving cap head screws into it but it muddies up the design. end result is 3M velco. the fascia also is hinged under the vinyl so you can physically get the bugger into the space.

[Raz asks] Is the box directly on the floor when installed?
-- Nope. thats a receipe for disaster. The enclosure rests on a sole that lifts it up of the floor carpet about 1/4"

[Raz asks] What's the minimum sub one should install in this?
-- That's a question of budget. I don't think I'd spend 350.00 bucks for a cutting edge enclosure and stick a crackerjack woofer in the thing.

[Raz asks] I'm running the class d channel on a Kicker ZX700.5 which is 420w @ 2ohms, will that work?
-- Yes for sure. In the Exile line you'd want the Shift 12DVC which is rated at 400 watts and would drive the amplifier at 2 ohms. This is what we call Stage 1. Stage 2 goes up to the 700W woofer. Stage 3 is 1500W woofer. The key is to match the performance of your amplifier.

Hope this info helps!

-Brian
Exile Audio

kaneboats
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
The Moomba crowd can be proud to be the first to have a product like this.
. . .
In time, sure, but right now its and exclusive thing for the Moomba folks!

That's pretty cool. Thanks, Brian! This is a great innovation.

mmandley
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Now everyone truly knows why my boat has been at Exile for the last 2 months. Lots of engineers, builders, lookers, have all crawled around, poked and prodded my boat to make this happen.

I cant say enough good things about Brian, Bill and Sean at Exile for there quality and there drive to make it the best. Each box they had made was tested, and even when everyone else said dam that's a great sounding box. Brian and Bill would look at each other and say, no it still isn't perfect. That woofer can do more and the box isn't done till that woofer is maxed out.

You just don't get quality like this very often anymore. These guys really care about there products, name and company. This quality shows threw all there components.

There speakers are some of the if not the best sounding out there, and if you have any problems you can call these guys and its fixed. Not to may big names out there do this anymore. Its the good ole small company knowing the owner excellent service deal that has been forgotten in the world today with most products.

I am not only pleased but honored they selected my boat as the first boat to do this for, over the last 6 months of talking, hanging out, and spending many late nights over a beer, food and just working in there shop, i can attest these are just good down home guys trying to make a product that's as solid as there own word.

I really encourage anyone local, or not local, if you get the chance to stop by Exile and see there products, meet Brian and Bill you will see how down to earth these guys are and how helpful they are.

One last example of these guys, i cant keep track of how many days i spend down at Exile helping out with what i can, working on my boat, but Brian buys lunch all the time, they fixed a pop noise in my stereo when turning it off. Like i said these kinds of things arnt normal for a company to do for there people but Exile does. Its really cool to spend time with these guys.

ian ashton
04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
That is a great write up, and good questions Razz!

Any pictures of the box before it was installed?

ausbill32
04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
When is this box going to be available for purchase? I like it!

byronkoz
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks great man and looks like you have more room than I do, but prolly have longer legs too.LOL

Brianinpdx
04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Ian - somewhere on the forum there was some video of the tech tune sessions but here's a link to the youtube video on the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DUDbDEako

Ausbill - enclosure is ready now. PM me for info. But you're behind, Razzman, Levoy, Chad and Cab.

Cheers guys!

-Brian

thesack
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Mike the box looks great!!! I'll admit it I am jealous.

mmandley
04-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Mike the box looks great!!! I'll admit it I am jealous.

Haha wait till you hear this one. I actually had a headache this afternoon after jamming out on it LOL.

My boat comes out of the Exile shop Sunday FYI lol

ian ashton
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Ian - somewhere on the forum there was some video of the tech tune sessions but here's a link to the youtube video on the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DUDbDEako

Ausbill - enclosure is ready now. PM me for info. But you're behind, Razzman, Levoy, Chad and Cab.

Cheers guys!

-Brian

Very cool - so what is this magic material, and where can I buy it?

thesack
04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice man. Finally pushing that sub. Still running it with the 1500 or did Brian get you to upgrade to the 2500 yet?

I was starting to think that your boat was just going to become a permanate fixture in Exile's warehouse. Just a great place for Brain, Bill and Sean to go take a break in, have a bite to eat and listen to some good music. But glad that you are going to be taking her home and letting her see some day light. Just need to get my boat up there now and figure out what it is missing.

mmandley
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
HAHAHA yea well i was starting to think the same thing. We talked about running the 2500.1 but its really just not needed. That 1500.1 was pushing 3600 watts when testing it. Clean watts also.

The Exile line of amps is rated in RMS not Max Output. When running my sub normally with the music i was playing it was running at 1800 to 2000 all day with no issues.

Step up to a 15 or the 18 and you need that 2500.1 amp for sure.

Just remember before you pull your boat into Exile have your wallet ready, LOL they will tell you straight out what sucks in your boat. I started with 1 set of XM7s. Then it was 2 sets. Then it was a new sub. New cabins. Went to Exile and it was New Deck, New Amps, New Sub again. All new wiring. Now im at the need new Cabins again. Upgraded my batteries. Still could use a AGM or something like that. In time LOL.

Razzman
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Very cool - so what is this magic material, and where can I buy it?

Ian Brian and Mike can answer this better but it's some kind of super strong plastic composite type material. The cool part is no worries about leaks or strength or degradation and it's made for the LSV so it fits like a glove.

Contact Exile for purchase.

Brianinpdx
04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Ian - The material is not magic. The substrate medium is called, "Tresspa". I believe its a division of 3M. It was suggested to our design team from an architect / structural engineer because it is becoming the rave in commercial building designs. It's more expensive than anything else we looked at, but the material properties are amazingly strong, rigid and still workable on a computer controlled mill. Not to mention that its 100% composite and wont rot or degrade over time. Oh ya, it has UV inhibitors as well.

It is perfect for the marine application.

-Brian
Exile Audio

ian ashton
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Is it heavy?

cab13367
04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Is it heavy?

It is extremely light. So much so that I thought it was made out of balsa wood the first time I picked it up.

Brian at Exile was nice enough to cut me a good deal on the prototype. It's exactly the same as the final production piece except it's made out of thinner material. It's perfectly fine for what I want to do but Brian felt that they needed to go with thicker material so that there is no question about it's robustness when using super woofers being driven by tons of power. I am going to put an Exile sub in it (their base model) and drive it with 420 watts rms so it's plenty robust for that application.

Can't wait to get it installed! I will post come pics and my impression of the sound once I do. I did test fit it last night and at first, I could not figure out how to get it under the dash - it would not fit! I thought that it was because of the differences in the dash between Mike's 08 and my 06. But once I figured it out, it goes in pretty easily. But the thing is huge! I takes up all the space down there but still leaves ample room for your feet as well as full use of the cupholders.

Thanks again Brian for the hook up!

Al

Brianinpdx
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Cab - We actually shot a quick install video so people could see how it works. Because without that it could be a bit frustrating. Video should be up later today. It will only go in 1 way. then should fit like a glove.

Cheers!

-Brian @Exile

jclevoy
04-15-2010, 10:29 AM
HAHAHA yea well i was starting to think the same thing. We talked about running the 2500.1 but its really just not needed. That 1500.1 was pushing 3600 watts when testing it. Clean watts also.

The Exile line of amps is rated in RMS not Max Output. When running my sub normally with the music i was playing it was running at 1800 to 2000 all day with no issues.

Step up to a 15 or the 18 and you need that 2500.1 amp for sure.

Just remember before you pull your boat into Exile have your wallet ready, LOL they will tell you straight out what sucks in your boat. I started with 1 set of XM7s. Then it was 2 sets. Then it was a new sub. New cabins. Went to Exile and it was New Deck, New Amps, New Sub again. All new wiring. Now im at the need new Cabins again. Upgraded my batteries. Still could use a AGM or something like that. In time LOL.

I know exactly what you are saying. Pull your wallet out, and get ready......But I bet it is all worth it.

Congrats on your install......mine should be done soon;)

thesack
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
3600 Watts...DANG!!! No wonder you had a headache after.

Don't need to open your wallet, just bring the armored truck with the sacks of cash. So many ideas of what I want to do in the boat and truck.

Razzman
04-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Did that install video get posted yet? Anyone? Bueller?