PDA

View Full Version : Building a garage.....

AaronWhitt82
04-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey guys my girlfriend and I are going to be building a garage here very soon. We are planning on a 24X24 with a 16X10 garage door.
The boat is currently in storage and I can't access it until the beginning of May. The plan is to have the garage all done by the time we get the boat out of storage.
I have a few questions as far as the garage door goes.... Will a 10ft door be tall enough to fit the boat without collapsing the tower? Boat is a 1999 Outback with a custom tower on it. All of the construction plans are not finalized as of yet because we are still tweaking some things. I'm hoping 24ft deep will be big enough as well. Trailer does not have a swing away tongue either. I'm assuming it should just fit all the way in and I can take the platform off if I have too....
This is alot more work than I thought trying to get everything planned out, but it will sure be nice to have a garage !!!!!!!

Thanks

Razzman
04-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Aaron, an answer was highly possible until you added you have a "custom tower". Being as that eliminates the known factor of the factory tower height there's really no way for anyone here to tell you. If you can find out the height of your tower then i'm sure someone here can tell you the height to the top deck and just add the measurement.

moombadaze
04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
build that garage to fit a XLV or the 24' supra-everything else will then fit and when you do upgrade the next one will also fit

maxpower220
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I have an 08 Outback that I was keeping in a 12'x25' storage box. I had to keep the swim platform on due to a FAE and I have a swing away tongue on the trailer. I only had about 6" to spare. The swim platform takes a similar amount of room as the tongue.

Make sure that you install a 10" tall door.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
check out the mods and look at my post just a few days ago posted pics of my garage i just finished.
my garage is 32 deep 20 wide 12 high
door is 10 wide 11 high
i have no issue getting it in cause i have plenty of practice with my job but wish i would have went 12 wide.
from ground level to the top of the light on the tower with the light up for me was 10 feet 4 inches

if i were you i'd go deeper 24 ft isn't gonna give you much room at all to work around

cab13367
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Aaron,

You've got a lot riding on these measurements. If it were me, I'd take a trip to my boat and measure everything to make sure.

I like moombadaze's suggestion too - build it to accommodate the biggest boat that you think you might possibly own some day. Better to spend that extra cash now than trying to modify it later.

Al

AaronWhitt82
04-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I appreciate all the replies guys!!!
After doing some more thinking and talking it over with the GF I think we are going to go with 26ft deep and keep it at 24ft wide.
We are trying to do everything for around $12,000 and most of it is going to be done "under the table" by a bunch of friends that are in the Union and will be doing it on the side for steaks and beer.
So far the estimate I received for all the concrete work is just under $6,000 and I did the "design your own garage" at Menards and came up with a price around $5,800 for building materials. I know I will have to custom order the garage door though.
I also figure a little more for the electrical and other odds and ends...
I am going to get ahold of the person where the boat is stored and see if I can get in to measure the height with the tower. Last year it was buried in the back along with 20 or so other boats and I couldn't even access it.
I'm thinking my tower might be a little bit higher than the factory one so I might need a bit taller than a 10ft garage door....

Thanks again

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I appreciate all the replies guys!!!
After doing some more thinking and talking it over with the GF I think we are going to go with 26ft deep and keep it at 24ft wide.
We are trying to do everything for around $12,000 and most of it is going to be done "under the table" by a bunch of friends that are in the Union and will be doing it on the side for steaks and beer.
So far the estimate I received for all the concrete work is just under $6,000 and I did the "design your own garage" at Menards and came up with a price around $5,800 for building materials. I know I will have to custom order the garage door though.
I also figure a little more for the electrical and other odds and ends...
I am going to get ahold of the person where the boat is stored and see if I can get in to measure the height with the tower. Last year it was buried in the back along with 20 or so other boats and I couldn't even access it.
I'm thinking my tower might be a little bit higher than the factory one so I might need a bit taller than a 10ft garage door....

Thanks again

those figures seem kinda steep to me
you see how much concrete block i used on my garage and concrete floor and footers and all the stone for under the floor and back fill for drainage and i was around 4,000 for all block concrete and stone.
you'll be shocked when u find out what a door cost!!

DOCDRS
04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
my garage door is 7'3" hi, my supra 21v is 7'6 high with the tower folded and low profile tires so i'm SOL

Hoopskier
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
If you wanted to be on the safe side of guessing your height requirements, I would use the DOT minimun height requirement standard then, 13-13.5 ft. You can roll your semi-truck in your garage then too. J/K Probably just best to measure your boat.

AaronWhitt82
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM
those figures seem kinda steep to me
you see how much concrete block i used on my garage and concrete floor and footers and all the stone for under the floor and back fill for drainage and i was around 4,000 for all block concrete and stone.
you'll be shocked when u find out what a door cost!!

Do you have a link for your post about the garage??? For some reason I couldn't find it...
I am still waiting to hear from the County to see if I have to pour footings or if I can just pour a slab. Pretty sure they are going to make me go with footings due to the size.
I went to Menards today and got a price on a 16X10 all steel door and it was $650 and a 16X10'3" was $770.
I did not state in my 1st post that there is going to be alot more concrete than just for the garage... The garage is going to have to sit directly behind the house a ways back so therefore the driveway is going to have to be extended and then all the extra concrete from there so I'm not sure how much extra they figured. This is the part that sucks. The driveway ties in with the foundation of the house and is roughly 10ft wide and on the other side of the driveway is the property line... So we are hoping the garge is going to be built back far enough from the house so we have enough room to get the boat in and out since the garage will be at an angle from the driveway....

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

there ya go. you'll be glad ya built it trust me just go plenty big i thought 32 by 20 was gonna be plenty but once i got the beast in there isn't much room around it!

AaronWhitt82
04-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Well I found out from the building inspector that I have to pour footings and easement is 5ft. Also per city code the garage cannot be bigger than 28X28.

Latest estimate I got for just the concrete is now near $7,500 eeek. The amount of concrete needed to extend the driveway is more than the garage pad itself... Garage is going to be behind the house a ways.

I was able to get into the storage facility where the boat is stored and it is roughly 9'4" high with the tower. This was also measured with trailer jack almost cranked all the way down because the tongue was partially under the frame of another trailer. So I'm guessing when it's hooked to the 4Runner it is going to be right around 10ft...

badasshybrid
04-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Well I found out from the building inspector that I have to pour footings and easement is 5ft. Also per city code the garage cannot be bigger than 28X28.

Latest estimate I got for just the concrete is now near $7,500 eeek. The amount of concrete needed to extend the driveway is more than the garage pad itself... Garage is going to be behind the house a ways.

I was able to get into the storage facility where the boat is stored and it is roughly 9'4" high with the tower. This was also measured with trailer jack almost cranked all the way down because the tongue was partially under the frame of another trailer. So I'm guessing when it's hooked to the 4Runner it is going to be right around 10ft...

I will measure mine today for you if I can remember. My door is 10' tall and the tower just fits under it. If I forget to push the door up as far as it will go the rope mount on the tower will hit it.

Lake Bound
04-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I built a 36'x30' pole barn garage with 10'x10' doors and as long as they are all the way up it clears. The pole barn garage is a great way to go if needed I can get you more info on them. My enclosed area is 24'x30' deep and then I have an open RV stall on one end. Good luck.