PDA

View Full Version : Push button start

mnpracing
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Anyone install a push button start in a Moomba? I have an 06 OBV and am looking to install an on/off switch and start button to bypass the keyed ignition.

jester
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
The only reason i would not install a puch button start is if everyone is swimming around the boat and someone falls in the boat they could press the button and start the engine. Right now if everyone is swiming around the boat i pull the keys and put them on the dash. No way for engine to start.

sandm
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
second jester. even the keyless start systems on the nautiques require a code to be punched in each time, kind of like the door system on fords..

mnpracing
04-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the concerns. Anyone install one?

Jeff W
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
The only reason i would not install a puch button start is if everyone is swimming around the boat and someone falls in the boat they could press the button and start the engine. Right now if everyone is swiming around the boat i pull the keys and put them on the dash. No way for engine to start.

what would be the problem with someone starting the engine with people swimming? would they start the engine, pull up on the underside of the throttle and then put it into gear and push it forward all at the same time?

Razzman
04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
what would be the problem with someone starting the engine with people swimming? would they start the engine, pull up on the underside of the throttle and then put it into gear and push it forward all at the same time?

If it's possible, Kids can it. I for one wouldn't do it for liability besides safety reasons first. Anyone gets hurt it's your butt for bypassing safety systems. Laywers would eat you alive for that one.

Mnpracing: So now i gotta ask, what's wrong with the key? Forget it all the time? There's no benefit that i can see to doing that.

dusty2221
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The Nautiques have it, and I agree it is a very nice luxury to have. Never worrying about a key really is nice. And who doesnt like push button operation? lol

mnpracing
04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions and concern. There are a lot of mods that people do that I personally see no point in doing, but they are done anyway. I could go on about the importance of keeping the engine cut-off switch properly tethered to your person in case you fall out and have a run-away boat situation (talk about liability...) or the downfalls of having a beer or 3 while boating, but I know it's really pointless.

I'm looking for someone who has done this who could offer some instruction. I appreciate "have you thought about...." comments pertinent to accomplishing the goal, but I'm really just looking for some installation instructions and comments regarding and issues/problems encountered.

Thanks again.

Aquaholic
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I think it would be cool. I wonder if a automotive push button requires more that electricity for them to work. The Honda push button is red and would look great in the dash. I'll do some asking around and see what I can learn. If I can make it work I'll let ya know. Good luck and don't let the na-na crowd turn off the creative spirit!

Aqua

mnpracing
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Aquaholic, I found a couple of basic install guides using the Honda push button and installing it in a car. I like the look of it, I just need to find something more in-depth an hopefully a boat-specific install. My rough idea is to have an on-off toggle which would replicate putting the key to the on position, then a push button momentary button to replicate turning the key to the start position. I am also toying with another "master toggle switch" somewhere convenient under the dash or next to the driver's seat to replicate putting the key in the ignition. The only purpose of this switch would be to make it hard to start the boat if you're not familiar with it, or to decrease the chances of leaving the on/off toggle in the on position and draining the battery (if it accidentally gets bumped on when the motor is off).

Aquaholic
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Push-Start-Button-Kit-Ignition-Engine-Starter-BLUE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9f15447bQQitemZ3 20496551035QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

This looks cool and says it has instructions as well.

kaneboats
04-10-2010, 12:52 AM
I appreciate "have you thought about...." comments pertinent to accomplishing the goal, but I'm really just looking for some installation instructions and comments regarding and issues/problems encountered.

So, you're saying that you're not some idiot off the street that wants to hurt kids? You've actually thought about what you want to do and are asking if any forward-thinking others have done it? I have. Just not on a Moomba.

A few years back I got totally *%$&$# [angered] by another manufacturer's wimpy key system. I put a "pull-on" light switch type switch on the dash for the "key" and a simple spring loaded button on the dashboard for the starter/ignigition switch. Nothing you can't do on any vehicle you want. The fact the switches looked just like light and horn switches made it a "stealth" security system. BUT, anybody who didn't know the drill couldn't start the boat. This could be good or bad, depending on the emergency.

mnpracing
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Kaneboats. I've found a couple of sets of instructions to do this, but the part of the circuit that I don't currently understand is the need for two switches plus the push button. I would have thought that it could be done with one switch and a push button. Maybe it's that the current key system is actually somehow two switches internally? I know (or have read) that it can be done with two switches and a button, but it should be able to be done with one switch and a button. Can you describe in more detail how you wired your system since that sounds like it's just one switch and a button?

Thanks again.

Moseley618
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Check this out! I looked at it for my Camaro but should work on a boat.
http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_start_ignition.html

viking
04-10-2010, 12:04 PM
If you end up installing one in ur moomba - post pics of the install and finished job. I'd be interested to see this all come together :)

JDsTOY
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to claim I have all the answers for your endeavor but I may be able to help.

I couldn't find a schematic for my outback but I will look this weekend. But lets just assume the ingnition key has two pairs of conductors, one pair for run and another pair that pulls in the starting solenoid. When you turn the key from OFF to the run position that makes a set of contacts close for the run pair which obviously must stay closed for engine to stay running. You then rotate key switch to the start position, closes the start pair of conductors "momentarily" until you let go and key switch returns to the run position. Sorry if this is redundant for you I just don't know where you are in this battle.

So, you can simply install a switch (2 position ON/OFF) somewhere which will enable the motor to run and then install a momentary push button to start the motor. The only thing I would make sure off is the contact rating (amps) of the two switches you install. You could simply pull your key switch out and look on it for it's contact rating and match it to the new one's.

You could do something really cool like put a latching relay and starting relay in and then just use a single push button to enable the run and start.

Let me know if I can help.

mnpracing
04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
JD's Toy, thanks this is really helpful. I looked last night and discovered that my current keyed switch is a three position switch (off,run,start). I had been thinking it was a four position (off,acc,run,start) which would have required two on/off switches in addition to the start button (or so I thought). Based on what you wrote (which now makes sense to me), I could reach my original goal of one on/off switch and the start button. However, now you have me intrigued about the latching relay. I haven't heard of that before, but I'll be google'ing it in a second...

I will also have a master on/off switch that controls this entire setup in a hidden (but convenient place) to prevent unwanted starting.

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry for not responding earlier. Looks like you're on the right track now. I just wired the ignition to a pull out switch like a light switch and then the start circuit through a button. The particular boat had a bunch of the same kind of pull out (on) switches for lights, bilge, acc, etc. so my "key" was kind of invisible.

maxpower220
04-14-2010, 03:58 PM
You will really have to find out the voltage the the Moomba system works on (which is 12V) and compare it to the kit that you find. Most modern cars do not have a true 12V system any more. The CAN electrical systems and new technology have changed. Make sure that the kit you get will indeed provide the power needed to start your boat.

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 11:06 PM
That's a darn good point. Once upon a time you could grab power from anywhere and add a fuse. Now you better have a meter and know what you are grabbing.

jmvotto
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Whats wrong with the key? My wife just had her 1 year old Volvo towed to the dealer (60 miles away) because the push button staring device was having issues" key not matching" . we got the spare and same thing . wish we had a normal key. Push button is for the birds IMO

mnpracing
04-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I would venture a guess the issue is more that it's a Volvo vs the keyless ignition.....lol

mnpracing
04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Come to think of it, jmvotto, I don't know why anyone would install heated seats in their boat. I had a new car once in which the heated seats quit working a month after I bought it....don't cross the street, I once heard of someone getting hit by a bus...what's the matter with walking, I once crashed a bike...:rolleyes:

jmvotto
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Come to think of it, jmvotto, I don't know why anyone would install heated seats in their boat. I had a new car once in which the heated seats quit working a month after I bought it....don't cross the street, I once heard of someone getting hit by a bus...what's the matter with walking, I once crashed a bike...:rolleyes:

I think if you need heated seats in your boat , you realy don't need a boat. Get your self a blanky and curl up on the coach and watch Oprah:p

If the heated seats in my car don't work. I can still use my car. all i was trying to state is if the push button goes, (Which after reading on the web is often for Volvo/ford), then your dead in the water. I think its a cool concept, not sure i would depend on it.

Fords have the keyless entry, leave your keys in the car, keyless entry does not work. dead on the road, no onstar on that one.

IMHO for what its worth, just sharing my experience. have not heard much about keys not working though?

Sharpie647
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
This post seems to have a lot of opinions…. So here is my experience.

One morning my girlfriend left for work with the keys to the boat in her purse so I was left with no boat!!!! Keyless would have been cool.

Another time a piece of the rubber housing around the key broke off and pushed into the keyhole not allowing the key to insert all the way.

Both Times I was able to “hotwire” the boat very easily. In my experience there were only three wires to the key. Hot-Run-Crank. When you normal use the key to start the boat you connect all three at once and when you release the key you are just connecting Hot and Run.

What I did both times when I was stuck with no key option I took a three way switch. Run-Off-Crank. I flipped the switch to Crank and the boat started cranking. Then very quickly flipped the switch past off back to the Run position and the boat kept running.

I guess what I am trying to say is installing a push button starter would be so simple. One switch to connect your hot and run leads and one “push button” to temporarily connect hot and crank. Mounting the switch under the dash, anywhere that it would be hidden or out of the way would be one way of preventing accidental starting.

kaneboats
04-15-2010, 09:46 AM
That's what I was talking about.

As for lost keys-- I like to keep a spare key hidden on every vehicle I own. I don't like being stranded anywhere for any reason. Nothing like getting off a train at 11:30 pm when it's about 8 degrees out and finding you can't even get in your car, much less start it. . . . Wait, my spare key is right here!!

Razzman
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I like to keep a spare key hidden on every vehicle I own.

Exactly, especially on the boat. It has come in handy twice.

sandm
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I keep the spare key in the truck jockey box and keep the main key in the ignition pretty much at all times. no real reason to take it out here. IF someone did manage to take off in the boat, nowhere they can go and no trailer to take it out. cops will get them eventually...

I'll never forget my second outing to the lake and forgot the boat key at home on the counter. left 2 chicks drinking beer in the marina parking lot in a boat on a trailer with no tow vehicle hooked up on a busy august saturday. I can only guess the comments they got :)

cab13367
04-15-2010, 02:52 PM
I think if you need heated seats in your boat , you realy don't need a boat. Get your self a blanky and curl up on the coach and watch Oprah:p

If the heated seats in my car don't work. I can still use my car. all i was trying to state is if the push button goes, (Which after reading on the web is often for Volvo/ford), then your dead in the water. I think its a cool concept, not sure i would depend on it.

Fords have the keyless entry, leave your keys in the car, keyless entry does not work. dead on the road, no onstar on that one.

IMHO for what its worth, just sharing my experience. have not heard much about keys not working though?

Joe,

I hear what ya but you are talking about a complicated keyless device in your car. What the OP wants to do is a very simple push button start so in that respect, it's no more prone to failure than the current key set up.

I think it would be kind of cool. But the key (pun intended :) )is to hide the on/off switch so that it's not easily found especially if your boat sits on the water unattended a lot. Mine doesn't so it wouldn't be an issue. I might have to do this mod one of these days.

Al

jmvotto
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
shapie got the "key" it does not sound complicated nor 400 bucks...;)

sandm
04-15-2010, 04:50 PM
thinking on this idea, you would almost need to have 2 switches in parallel.
one hidden somewhere under the dash, glovebox, etc. that would not be easy to find that would keep the boat from being started by anyone(ie theft), and then another one right next to the pushbutton start, otherwise how you gonna turn the boat off once it's started?

zegm
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Well these boats are still simple 12V systems and with a little bit of 16 or 18 gage wire I could get anyones up and running without a key and any other tools.
So I guess I am saying that if you choose a different process to get the engine running a simple trek to any autoparts store for either a rocker, pull, toogle and a pushbutton switch and you would be up and running. The hardest part would be patching up the large diameter hole your existing key switch uses and then drilling a couple of holes for the smaller switches you just bought.

OK my Touareg has both a key and a push button starter. First year I had it I always used the key, habit I guess. Second year the key never comes out of my pocket and I just hit the button. However unlike the commercials you see on TV Volkswagon believes I am smart enough to know that is the starter button and does not put silly labels on it stating "Push Button Starter".

kaneboats
04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm just going to leave that one alone.

zegm
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Here's what you need to start a boat without a key:

1. 2 sets of jumpers with alligator clips
2. 10 seconds

EXACTLY and if you think a key is preventing theft think again.

Now it will keep kids from starting one.

mmandley
04-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Give me a long screw driver and i can jump your boat in 3 seconds once i open your engine bay. Touch the 12v hot to the solenoid.

Twist the 2 power lines behind the ignition switch together to light up the ECM

Bam boat is running.

zegm
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Give me a long screw driver and i can jump your boat in 3 seconds once i open your engine bay. Touch the 12v hot to the solenoid.

Twist the 2 power lines behind the ignition switch together to light up the ECM

Bam boat is running.

Well you know I wasn't going to say anything about 10 seconds being long. I too used to jump off our old MC at the remote starter soleniod just like you mention as it was easier than unscrewing the ignition switch or crawling under the dash. But you are right, all I needed was a screw driver which I kept in the boat. I mean you know sometimes you forget your keys and you can't let a silly thing like that slow you down! :-D

sandm
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
all this talk of hotwiring boats makes me think maybe nicholas cage should make "gone in 60 seconds II". his nemesis could be a '69 chris craft??

mmandley
04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
I said 10 seconds because the older I get, the longer it takes me to crawl under the dash......

Thats a fact Jack lol.

I think i can get in and out of my boat faster this year because my legs are stronger and im used to it.

This year though i sure double and triple check my tools and supply's before i craw into the cubby or under the dash to work. I don't want to be in and out constantly like last year LOL.

zegm
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I said 10 seconds because the older I get, the longer it takes me to crawl under the dash......

Well when the wife had the stopwatch on me and it was taking over 30 seconds under the dash of our old ski boat she said "thats it I want a new boat, a real boat a Moomba Mobius LS "and well the rest is history! :D

ScottnAz
04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Anyone install a push button start in a Moomba? I have an 06 OBV and am looking to install an on/off switch and start button to bypass the keyed ignition.
Have you gotten anywhere with this idea?
I've been looking/researching to do the same thing with my Supra, and haven't been able to decide or pull the trigger on it. My thoughts have been;

Scenario #1: Install a simple push button in place of the key cylinder for starting, and also install a semi-concealed toggle switch that would kill the power going to the button so we can shut down power to the ignition while floating/swimming/etc. (~$50)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/mustangtuning_2099_1506299738.jpg

Scenario #2: Purchase and install the keyless ignition switch kit made by Mercury Marine that is similar to the ignition on the Nautiques. These are actually really cool because you can wire your blower in to the switch and it will activate the blower upon startup. From my research, the keypad has a code that you enter to active, then you push the button for start up. The code stays active until you deactivate it. So, my understanding, you'd enter the code, ride all morning just pushing the Run/Off buttons, then when it's time to anchor for a while you deactivate the code so the boat can't be started. (~$130)
http://content.westmarine.com/images/catalog/full/4531455F.jpg

zegm
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
The second option sounds "high tech" but it seems to me you will be doing more work than if you just put the key in the ignition and did your thing?

I say this as someone who has "push button" start on my VW. The main advantage of this system as I see it is as long as my key is in my pocket I don't have to get it out wasting what a couple seconds? Well also the keys have their own codes and when I approach the Touareg if the seat has been moved it will move it and the steering wheel back to my setting. When my wife approaches the VW the seat and steering wheel moves to her setting. But my wife Never drives my Touareg, she loves her Jetta Station Wagon too much. It is nice not having to dig through my pockets to get the key but I could live without it.

mnpracing
04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm looking at a set of matching billet buttons, one momentary for the start button and one latching button for the ignition on/off. Here's a link to what I'm thinking about. They're a little spendy but I think it would look nice. The lighted buttons are what I had in mind.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/product.lasso?prodinc=billetbuttons&refid=google&gclid=CIf0wNDjh6ECFRMMDQodR1lyOg

ScottnAz
04-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I wish you wouldn't have posted the link to the billet buttons, it looks like a nice way to go. Custom etching......hmmm

zegm- I wish my wife's VW had the keyless system like yours.

I could certainly live without the push button start, and there's nothing inconvenient about using the key (especially since I never remove the key), to be honest, I'm just looking at the cool/bling factor of this mod.

zegm
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Ok I must admit when I take co-workers to lunch they do give me weird looks when I start the VW without a key. Keep in mind the VW button is just a pretty chrome plated button on the console that doesn't state anywhere what its intended function is. So yeah I do get bling points.

I purchased my Touareg used from a VW dealer in Charleston SC and I was told it was owned by a very wealthy man who had this option and paddle shifters imported from Volkswagon German and then installed at the dealership. I am not sure the push button start was an option for the 2006/2007 Touaregs and I was told I had the only Touareg in the US with paddle shifters.
So I guess I get double bling points!!!! :mrgreen:

ScottnAz
04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
if i can get one that lights up the accent color on my boat and score some "bling" points, i might be in. I think you could get away with just one. Get a cheaper one to use as a switch for inline that is hidden
I'm right there with ya KG. The accent color has me sold on this idea, and I agree about using a cheaper/hidden switch for the inline. For that matter, I think I can use my Perko switch to turn off the starting battery when we're hanging out and swimming (which I do anyway).

As for the accessories, I never use the key for acc's. Actually, like you, all of my accessories are running through rockers on the driver side panel, and always powered off the battery so I don't lose stereo memory/settings. The only thing running through my key (right or wrong, I don't know?) is the starter and starting battery.

zegm - when you take the co-workers to lunch, do they make you pay because you're the one with the fat wallet that can afford to have push button start..? :razz: Let's see a pic of the paddle shifters.

ScottnAz
04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
mn, thanks for the link

I placed an order and will report back when the parts come

ScottnAz
05-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Trying to get this figured out. I'm trying to use 1 push button to act as a latched switch for the acc AND a momentary switch for the starter. It's going to take 5 relays, 2 diodes, 1 resistor, and some fancy wiring to pull it off. Hopefully I'll have it figured out (good or bad) sometime tonight.
2 buttons would definitely work, but I don't want 2, just 1 to control it all. We shall see.

I did find some cheaper LED push buttons:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g52/c341/list/p1/Switches-22mm_Bulgin_Style_Switches.html?id=RqhCHfM5

And here's another option:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/ignition_switches.html

New Guy
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
My ign switch just failed so I just ordered this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6099/ele-272/Blue_Illuminated_Bulgin_Style_Momentary_Vandal_Swi tch_-_22mm_-_Black_Housing_-_Ring_Illumination.html?tl=g52c341

I'm going to make this work lol!

deerfield
06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
My ign switch just failed so I just ordered this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6099/ele-272/Blue_Illuminated_Bulgin_Style_Momentary_Vandal_Swi tch_-_22mm_-_Black_Housing_-_Ring_Illumination.html?tl=g52c341

I'm going to make this work lol!

Mark - Please take pictures of the install. I am interested. How do you ensure that the LED, which is always on, does not run down your battery? - Deerfield

dusty2221
06-05-2012, 03:24 PM
If that $13 switch functions as a key/ignition, I'm pretty sure KG will punch babies. He has been waiting for someone to figure this out for 2 years now and not have it cost and arm and a leg.

KG's Supra24
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
http://sogru.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/punch_babies_render_2.gif?w=500

ChrisK
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Man thanks for the chuckle at work, that's hilarious.

I too hope this works out, that'd be a cool mod.

New Guy
06-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I should be able to wire it like this that way when ever the ign switch was off the push button is dead along with the led.

The only thing that I might change is wire the LED to my cabin LEDS so it is not on during the day.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/2005r6rider/ignswitch.jpg

ChrisK
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
If you put up a completed, working project.. I'll likely be ordering that day lol

E4NASH
06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmmm this is VERY interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motosno963
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
i want in tooo

New Guy
06-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Definitely works and it is a super easy install just grab a test light and go to town. I pulled the power off of the breaker and ran it over to an open accessory switch out of that switch I used it to power the ignition and led ring around the switch (led off when the ignition is off) I also pulled the power from the switch to the momentary button for the starter. I didn't want to be able to spin the engine over without the ignition on. It was really hard to get any good pictures under the dash so if you have any questions just ask.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/2005r6rider/2012-06-08205458.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/2005r6rider/2012-06-08204425.jpg

FYI I might order a spare switch in case this one gets wet and quits working.

KG's Supra24
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
So you turn the accessory switch on, push button, and go?

Then to shut it down you turn the accessory switch off?

New Guy
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Yup! easy piesee. I shut my main disconnect off when we leave the boat at a dock/pier for lunch ect.

ChrisK
06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
I wish you used the momentary button to turn the the boat off as well, but that's still really cool and might be happening to my boat now that someone has got it done...

New Guy
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah Chris you would need a three position push button switch to make that happen and I'm pretty sure that they don't make them.

viking
06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
that's pretty cool!