PDA

View Full Version : How much ballast are you running?

polar21
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Post up the boat model and how much ballast you are running.

'99 Outback DD
440lb rear
350lb rear
350lb front

that is with only a driver in the boat. I have yet to get a good number of people in the boat to see what the wake looks like. I think we get a decent wake considering the boat.

sandm
04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
for surfing:
'06 supra launch20ssv
400 in center
440 sitting on top in the bow walkthru
700 in rear locker
440 on the seat
if only 3-4 peeps, then another 440 on the floor, if 5 or more, then we omit the floor ballast.

I only have the factory 400 on the drivers side, but going to replace that next week and the goal this year is to learn to surf goofy as well as regular :)

wakeboarding, usually just the center ballast, as most of us are not very good yet, but I would suspect this year I'll have more weight in the arse end to jack it up a little.
waiting on the prop test results, as when the boat is loaded down, the 13x17 has a hard time getting the boat up on plane with that much weight in it, even with the 340hp motor.

dusty2221
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, ^ You must have a nice surf wake. I'm glas you posted up what you do. We just played with the factory bag and the wake plate last weekend and were really impressed. Of course, we are coming from an 84 Malibu with no sacs and the ice chest on the wrong side!

I really want to get some 750's for the rear.

madriding1
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
750 lbs in each rear locker
400 center
300 upfront.
2008 LSV

brain_rinse
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
750 lbs in each rear locker
400 center
300 upfront.
2008 LSV
Integrated bow sac or something else? Do you run that all full when wakeboarding? What prop are you using?

sandm
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
need a disclaimer on this post that you may have the same, better, or sink-your-boat results based on what you see, so following someone elses weightings is at your own risk :)

and yes dusty, it's an awesome surf wake. had one guy last summer tell me it's better than the centurion he had surfed behind, but I know that he was not behind an avy or enzo...

madriding1
04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Integrated bow sac or something else? Do you run that all full when wakeboarding? What prop are you using?

Yes, Full when wakeboarding. Using the "high altitude" wakeboard prop. Using some lead pop bags and integrated bow sack. Prop is 14.25 X 14

dusty2221
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
need a disclaimer on this post that you may have the same, better, or sink-your-boat results based on what you see, so following someone elses weightings is at your own risk :)

and yes dusty, it's an awesome surf wake. had one guy last summer tell me it's better than the centurion he had surfed behind, but I know that he was not behind an avy or enzo...

I sent you a pm as not to clog up this thread with my questions

Hillbilly
04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
07 LSV
750's in each locker
400 center bag( probably only fills to 3-350 realistically though )
#1100 triangle sac in bow( approx 900 lbs)
2 pop bags (80 lbs) to move side to side to even out the boat.

oj 14x14.25 prop

But I will run empty and slow on a short line sometimes to try and learn new tricks. More weight more speed harder crashes...LOL :confused:

Jeff W
04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
02 DD Outback

750 rear
350 mid
450 front (walkway + bow)

Sometimes we'll run twin 400's by the motor box if we've got a group of hardcore riders (not very often)..

guinsha54
04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I hear ya hillbilly, got to do what you got to do.

05 LSV
750s in rear compartments
400 center bag "I think"
two 250s in bow
and two 85lb blocks to move around

Wake Master
04-10-2010, 12:02 AM
This is the setup on our 07 XLV 340HP

750 in each of the rear compartments
1100 in the center
150 under each of the front seats

The wake is great.

dereklschmidt
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I need to re-prop in a bad way, just need to find the money. But here is what I will be running this year: (switched out the center bag)

00 Mob V:
750's in rear
800 Center (was 540, big a$$ hole in it, good time for an upgrade!)
400 bow (plus 100 in lead)
extra 400 on surf side

Can't wait to see the surf wake this year!! It was "ok" last year...

LyndonH Dubai
04-11-2010, 03:23 AM
right, im gonna sound stupid here, but how do i find out how much ballast my boat has. its a 2004 XLV gravity games edition?
also, is it as simple to uprgade balast by increasing the size of the bags and simply connecting them to the outlets? can a complete novice do it?
also, where do you get the sacs from and what does everyone recommend.
please bear in mind, i wakeboard to a intermediate standard looking to progress and have only just bought this as my first wakeboard boat. cheers

GravityQueen
04-11-2010, 09:27 PM
08 24ssv

1200 front locker
1100 rear pass side
750 rear driver side

Wakeboarding we fill all about half if nobody is with us and empty with we have the crew unless asked to fill. Wake plate is at about 50%.

Surfing
front- full
pass side- full
driver side - 1/2
Wake plate is all the way up.

Spaceball 1
04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
2001 Mobius

400lbs over the gas tank with a custom 50lbs aluminum stand
250lbs under the rear seat
400lbs in the ski locker

Normally 3-5 people also.

Not nearly the weight some people rock.

Jeff W
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
2001 Mobius

400lbs over the gas tank with a custom 50lbs aluminum stand
250lbs under the rear seat
400lbs in the ski locker

Normally 3-5 people also.

Not nearly the weight some people rock.

pics of your wake? seems like you would benefit greatly from having another sack in the walkway. this hull looks 60/40 front/rear.

polar21
04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
02 DD Outback

750 rear
350 mid
450 front (walkway + bow)

Sometimes we'll run twin 400's by the motor box if we've got a group of hardcore riders (not very often)..

How are you getting the 350 in the middle? Is your hull basically the same as a '99 outback?

Jeff W
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
How are you getting the 350 in the middle? Is your hull basically the same as a '99 outback?

front ski locker and front walkway for front ballast
rear ski locker for rear ballast

next to the motor on both sides if we're acting crazy.

polar21
04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I gotcha. My '99 doesnt have those lockers. So, all the crap must go on the floor!

Jeff W
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I gotcha. My '99 doesnt have those lockers. So, all the crap must go on the floor!

Yeah, the newer ones don't have the front locker either.. Must be 01-04 that has it.

volfo
04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I have an 01 OB LS, same hull as yours it sounds like (with ski locker).

Right now I have bags under the rear seat (which is not removable, so it only holds so much) and a bag in the ski locker. Frankly, I don't notice a huge difference with the bags under the rear seat (my calculations are that there is only room for 250-300 pounds there) and I struggle to notice any difference at all when I add 350 pounds in the ski locker.

I see you are talking about putting bags in rear ski locker? One of you mentions "over the gas tank" but with a special stand? Where is the gas tank? I'd heard it was under the rear ski locker in this boat and that the floor to teh rear ski locker was not strong, and therefore no bags were recommended back there. If you know otherwise, please let me know as I'd love to add some more weight. I have two 400 pounds bags shoved under the rear seat and they both fill less than half full there.

signed,

confused in Nashville

Jeff W
04-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I have an 01 OB LS, same hull as yours it sounds like (with ski locker).

Right now I have bags under the rear seat (which is not removable, so it only holds so much) and a bag in the ski locker. Frankly, I don't notice a huge difference with the bags under the rear seat (my calculations are that there is only room for 250-300 pounds there) and I struggle to notice any difference at all when I add 350 pounds in the ski locker.

I see you are talking about putting bags in rear ski locker? One of you mentions "over the gas tank" but with a special stand? Where is the gas tank? I'd heard it was under the rear ski locker in this boat and that the floor to teh rear ski locker was not strong, and therefore no bags were recommended back there. If you know otherwise, please let me know as I'd love to add some more weight. I have two 400 pounds bags shoved under the rear seat and they both fill less than half full there.

signed,

confused in Nashville

The gas tank is plastic and it is right underneath the rear ski locker. And you are absolutely right - the space under the rear seat is TINY and won't even hold 300 lbs. I'd say you're probably like 150-200. Not really enough to measure. I built a little stand out of 1 x 8 treated lumber and some metal l-brackets to spread out the weight of the rear ballast. You can fit a pretty good size sack back there. Then I run a sack in the front ski locker and I have one sitting on the floor in the front walkway. If you wanted to get more aggressive - you could leave the sack under the rear seat, the one in the rear ski locker, one in the front ski locker and one in the front walkway.

Another option to experiment with is lead - works out nice especially in the nose.

As everyone has said - you just have to be really careful to not dunk the nose when you start adding weight to it.

volfo
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I built a little stand out of 1 x 8 treated lumber and some metal l-brackets to spread out the weight of the rear ballast.

Can you tell me a little more about that? I don't understand how you even got under there to do it. I haven't ever even pulled the carpet out of the rear ski locker.

Jeff W
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I built a little stand out of 1 x 8 treated lumber and some metal l-brackets to spread out the weight of the rear ballast.

Can you tell me a little more about that? I don't understand how you even got under there to do it. I haven't ever even pulled the carpet out of the rear ski locker.

You're over thinking it.

I just made a "false floor" out of wood and metal brackets on top of the existing floor to spread the weight of the ballast out evenly. I left the existing floor and the existing carpet in there - I just built the floor to spread out the weight more evenly on a truly solid surface since the OEM floor isn't very thick/sturdy. I just made a little template of the rear ski locker, then took two pieces of treated wood and some metal l brackets and built a solid floor. The gas tank probably still gets pressed down a little but nothing like it would with the stock floor.

Buck02LS
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
JeffW... have you gotten you boat out and kicking yet for this season...? Picutres... please!!! LOL i'm in the same boat with adding ballast and everything...

thanks!

volfo
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Jeff, I understand now. Thanks. Did I read right that you have 750 pounds back there? Or 400?

Jeff W
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
JeffW... have you gotten you boat out and kicking yet for this season...? Picutres... please!!! LOL i'm in the same boat with adding ballast and everything...

thanks!

I had the boat out on Monday just getting the impeller tested, oil changed and dewinterizing done. I'm putting my docks in on Sunday so I think that next weekend I should be out riding. Don't get TOO excited here man - it's really not that big of a deal (or wake). It's a ski boat with between 1500-2000 lbs in it. It doesn't look like a 210/Xstar/Setter with 4k in it like you seen in wake videos. It's shaped nice like the stock wake and is bigger. About knee high? There is a pic in NSCUMoombas thread with his wake and mine is bigger than that big shaped the same and just as wide. It's maybe another few inches taller than his.

Jeff, I understand now. Thanks. Did I read right that you have 750 pounds back there? Or 400?

Yeah but I can't get it all the way full. I probably get it 600lbs full or so? Then I run another 800 or so in the front half of the boat. I have a buddy with (2) 400lbs sacks and a few times we've sacked it out completely with those ones and it's something like 2500lbs + riders and that is too much. The boat doesn't have enough free board and the nose is tough to not dip. You have to decelerate slowly cause the nose will dip on decel or a roller will come in over the back when you slow.

Jeff W
04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Polar21 and Spaceball should have similar wakes to mine except mine is just a bit more biased towards the front of the boat. Maybe they have some pics?

polar21
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I will try and take a pic sometime this week if we make it out. My wake isnt that big, although I can get enough pop to do some inverts. Like I said, I am running 350 up front, and about 800 in the rear. I did manage to pick up a couple of 25 gallon drums over the weekend and might have to throw those in the boat as well.

Jeff W
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
I will try and take a pic sometime this week if we make it out. My wake isnt that big, although I can get enough pop to do some inverts. Like I said, I am running 350 up front, and about 800 in the rear. I did manage to pick up a couple of 25 gallon drums over the weekend and might have to throw those in the boat as well.

put em up front - my boat loves weight up there.

polar21
04-27-2010, 09:47 AM
The problem with putting a good amount of weight up front is dunking the bow. I wish these boats had about 3 more inches of freeboard around the boat, but it is what it is. We are going out today after work and might try this set up.

500-rear
350-side
350-side
200-front

That might not be enough for the front though. If that doesnt work out to well then I am going to do:

700/800-rear
500-front

As you can tell I am still trying to figure out the best ballast combo. How far forward are you putting the weight? I like to start mine about halfway in the bow section.

cab13367
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
2006 LSV

For surfing:
750# in the surf side rear locker
400# in the ski locker
10mph, wake plate all the way up
Can freesurf all day long with just two people on the boat

For wakeboarding:
455# X2 sacs in each rear locker
400# in the ski locker
Nice clean wake at 22mph and wakeplate all the way up. I'm not an advanced wakeboarder so the wake is plenty big (can easily go wake to wake)

13x16 ACME 537 prop. Much improved holeshot over stock, no loss on top end.

Jeff W
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
The problem with putting a good amount of weight up front is dunking the bow. I wish these boats had about 3 more inches of freeboard around the boat, but it is what it is. We are going out today after work and might try this set up.

500-rear
350-side
350-side
200-front

That might not be enough for the front though. If that doesnt work out to well then I am going to do:

700/800-rear
500-front

As you can tell I am still trying to figure out the best ballast combo. How far forward are you putting the weight? I like to start mine about halfway in the bow section.

I ruck a sack in the front ski locker and a sack in the front walkway. I have misc. stuff in the nose (anchor, etc) but nothing of any real value.

And yes, dunking the bow sucks. I'm just super careful driving and try my best to keep it dry

I would try this today. Do the 500 in the rear, then put the 200 in between the rear seat and the motor cover on the floor, the run a sack either in the front ski locker or else start one in front of the motor cover and then run one in front of that in the walkway and let it set up on the front seat if you have no space. make a t out of them. one in the walk way and one sitting the wide way on top of the sack and front seats pushed up against the back of the seats in the bow.

get weight up front!

mmandley
04-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Just an idea, you might already be doing this to not dunk your nose. When the rider falls don't stop right away, slow down a little slower, then wait for the roller to pass you. Then you turn the opposite side your surf is on. If you surf reg then turn left to pick up the surfer. This turns the boat to the unweighted side and will help the nose stay up. Also by the time you turn the rollers are past and you no wake it back to the rider.

Jeff W
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Just an idea, you might already be doing this to not dunk your nose. When the rider falls don't stop right away, slow down a little slower, then wait for the roller to pass you. Then you turn the opposite side your surf is on. If you surf reg then turn left to pick up the surfer. This turns the boat to the unweighted side and will help the nose stay up. Also by the time you turn the rollers are past and you no wake it back to the rider.

surfing :p:p:p:p

polar21
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I ruck a sack in the front ski locker and a sack in the front walkway. I have misc. stuff in the nose (anchor, etc) but nothing of any real value.

And yes, dunking the bow sucks. I'm just super careful driving and try my best to keep it dry

I would try this today. Do the 500 in the rear, then put the 200 in between the rear seat and the motor cover on the floor, the run a sack either in the front ski locker or else start one in front of the motor cover and then run one in front of that in the walkway and let it set up on the front seat if you have no space. make a t out of them. one in the walk way and one sitting the wide way on top of the sack and front seats pushed up against the back of the seats in the bow.

get weight up front!

I will give that a try on Sat. and see what it looks like. Definitely going to put more weight right in the walkway make a T on the bow section. I will also try and take a pic, although the wake pics I have seen its hard to tell how big the wake really is/isnt.

Jeff W
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I will give that a try on Sat. and see what it looks like. Definitely going to put more weight right in the walkway make a T on the bow section. I will also try and take a pic, although the wake pics I have seen its hard to tell how big the wake really is/isnt.

Yeah, pics are almost impossible to tell unless it is HUGE. It's a little better with video.

Good luck! Hope it works out.

polar21
05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
So this is what we tried yesterday:

440-rear (unsure of how much this bag weighs, but its every bit of 440lb)
200-side of motor cover
200-side of motor cover
350-right in front of ski pole
350-laying across the bow up against windshield (not really, but you get what i am trying to say)

DANG, the wake was freaking huge (for our ski boats). It was much steeper than what we were trying before. This is the best wake our boat has ever seen and it was nice to be able to get some good pop, although we did take some harder falls. Sorry no pics, the weather was crappy.

Jeff W
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
So this is what we tried yesterday:

440-rear (unsure of how much this bag weighs, but its every bit of 440lb)
200-side of motor cover
200-side of motor cover
350-right in front of ski pole
350-laying across the bow up against windshield (not really, but you get what i am trying to say)

DANG, the wake was freaking huge (for our ski boats). It was much steeper than what we were trying before. This is the best wake our boat has ever seen and it was nice to be able to get some good pop, although we did take some harder falls. Sorry no pics, the weather was crappy.

;)

weight up front and best wake ever? Hmph. It's almost like I've been trying to tell EVERYONE that for months!

Glad it worked out bro. Toss some pics up next time you're out.

Spaceball 1
05-08-2010, 01:25 AM
pics of your wake? seems like you would benefit greatly from having another sack in the walkway. this hull looks 60/40 front/rear.

I am by no means a pro but i have put weight in the bow and it seems to actually flatten out the wake and just dunks the bow when picking people up.

With my current setup the boat rides very very flat compared to other boats for some reason. I can't figure it out either. The wake is best with driver and passenger and three people across the back seat.

Jeff W
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I am by no means a pro but i have put weight in the bow and it seems to actually flatten out the wake and just dunks the bow when picking people up.

With my current setup the boat rides very very flat compared to other boats for some reason. I can't figure it out either. The wake is best with driver and passenger and three people across the back seat.

Super weird. My boat loves weight up front.

Jeff W
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Here are a couple pics of us riding from yesterday. We only had about 600 lbs in the boat and the wake was still nice.

I had a guy with me who had never rode before so we didn't load up the boat. We had a 350 filled about 90% of the way in the back and a 350 in the front ski locker at 90%.

I usually run a 750 in the back and (2) 350's up in the front half of the boat and the wake is significantly bigger but I was actually surprised how nice the wake was for such little weight.

The difference from 600 or 650lbs to 1400 is huge but I was still happy with the wake. There was only 3 of us out. Tower + gear etc.

Hillbilly
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
One thing ppl might not realize is that with more weight you need to ride faster, So sometimes running less weight and going slower will still give you a meaty wake. You usually have to run a shorter rope with less weight though.

But I still slam out my LSV :confused:

And now you guy's got me thinking about getting the 1100 lb sacs for the back....Does it ever end ?

Jeff W
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
One thing ppl might not realize is that with more weight you need to ride faster, So sometimes running less weight and going slower will still give you a meaty wake. You usually have to run a shorter rope with less weight though.

But I still slam out my LSV :confused:

And now you guy's got me thinking about getting the 1100 lb sacs for the back....Does it ever end ?

Yep. I've gotta speed up from 22 to 24 when I get over 1500 lbs or my wake gets washed out.

And no, it doesn't even end. My BFF has an 06' X-Star and he now has 5200 lbs of ballast in it..

polar21
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
This is true. We used to ride at 21 and with an extra 400lbs in the boat we have to bump it up to 23-24. Makes the falls much for the people in the boat!

squeeg333
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
If you run full 750's in the rear, and the stock 400 in the ski locker, would the boat porpoise like crazy? I'd like to upgrade to the 750's for surfing, and potentially for wakeboarding, but I would rather not fight the porpoising.

Al - Do you have both your stock, and the 750's in the v-drive compartments??

brain_rinse
05-25-2010, 07:41 PM
On my boat if I fill the rear 750s, ski locker, and bow sac, it still needs more weight up front to have a good wake. Around 500-600 lbs in each locker works better for me.

Hillbilly
05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I run a full triangle sac in the bow of mine with the 750's full, Or else it does kind of tend to porpoise !

cab13367
05-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Al - Do you have both your stock, and the 750's in the v-drive compartments??

No, I swap the 750 for the X2 sac when we surf.

squeeg333
05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
No, I swap the 750 for the X2 sac when we surf.

Thanks Al, I kinda figured that's how it was. I'm assuming that you run that bag off an external pump, and just swap the sides where the bag is if needed?

I kind of get the impression that the IBS is really the way to go. It sounds like it not only lengthens the wake for surfing, but also makes the wakeboarding wake better. I guess the only thing that deters me from that is the loss of storage up front. I like my bumpers and anchors and mooring ropes up there. But, I suppose you have to sacrifice!!

brain_rinse
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I love having auto ballast up there. It's hard to get anyone other than kids to sit in the bow, and now I don't have to care! We had 6 adults out a couple of weeks ago, all in the back. I didn't even bother with the factory ballast and used the bow sac only and the wake was great!

cab13367
05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks Al, I kinda figured that's how it was. I'm assuming that you run that bag off an external pump, and just swap the sides where the bag is if needed?

No, I literally swap out the X2 sac for the 750. Unhook the fill and empty hoses from the X2 and hook it onto the 750 (it has it's own fittings) and fill with the plumbed ballast system.

Spaceball 1
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Jeff,

I have a couple pictures, these are just with a driver and spotter and no front ballast, i had an issue with one of the fittings.

BTW your boat looks great, exact same as mine.

Don't make fun of the grab....

Spaceball 1
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
This past weekend, the only picture i have of my boat....

Jeff W
06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
This past weekend, the only picture i have of my boat....

Looks EXACTLY like mine..

I sold mine this past Saturday.. We're going to build a new house and we'll pick up a new boat after the house is done.. Probably a new Wakesetter or V-Ride.

I loved that boat. :-)

We slumped it one last time with 2k in ballast and 10 people in it on Memorial Weekend. Anyone who says that a direct drive Moomba can't pull a nice wake hasn't put enough weight in it.

K_E_N
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
'04 LSV.......................about 2,000lbs

No clue exactly how much weight total, value is a conservative estimate.
440lb on each side of engine
100lbs of iron weights each side of engine
1 waterbed tube beneath passenger (port) side seats
ski locker sac.....doesn't fill all the way due to size of locker
integrated bow sac.......again, doesn't fill all the way due to size of bow
250lb jump seat integrated into front ballast sits in walkthrough of windshield area
150-200lbs lead beneath bow filler cushion

disclaimer: I'm not admitting to running this much ballast. Let's say this is hypothetically how much I would run if it were legal for me to do so.

Spaceball 1
06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Spaceball - nice pics !

we're running 2000+ lbs - getting boosted!

just out of curiosity what speed you running and line length ?

I'm going 22 @ 65 -

I just bought a bow sac after riding behind a VLX Malibu.... The wake was just sick. The owner of the boat busted out the camera, he said he has never seen someone going so big behind his boat. I was on 80' and 24 mph on that boat. Toe side wake was hard to get work done on without coming up short though.

My boat i run 75' and 22-24mph with 1050lbs. We will see what i need to do with another 400lbs once the bow sac gets installed.