PDA

View Full Version : RV's & Ski Boats

silverski
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I am considering purchasing a Class C motorhome 26 to 29 feet.

Most of the use of my 05 LSV consists of trailering to local lakes that would still be done using my Sequoia as the tow vehicle. I do go to a family cabin about 200 miles away a few times per year that I would potentially use the motorhome to tow the boat there but do have access to another vehicle to launch. Other uses would be a few trips to friends cabins where I may or may not have another vehicle available to launch the boat or other destinations where I would probably would not have access to a vehicle to launch.

So, my questions for the forum...

Anyone have experience towing a 3,500 lb boat with Class C motorhomes?

Is it reasonable to think that I could launch a Moomba with a motorhome? Obviously would take the right kind of launch to do it but am interested to see if people think I'm crazy to even consider it.

jester
04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Well i see grandma and grandpa pushing 65 driving a 40 feet coach with a car or boat in tow. I would think you would not have issues. You just have to remember that you will now be around 60 feet long and the right boat ramp and a spoter would be helpful.

ian ashton
04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't see why not; if you can back it up you should be able to launch it, right?

I've heard of/seen people who install a hitch on the front on the rig for launching, so instead of backing down the ramp you hook the boat to the front and drive straight down.

Razzman
04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
My brother-in-law has towed and launced with a 25' mini-winnie class c for two years now without issue.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Somebody on here tows with a big motorhome all the time. Can't remember who though.

sandm
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I would think the only issue would be the slope of the launch ramp. the 2 that I use are way too steep to think of a 35ft wheelbase rig trying to launch, but the other 2 on the opposite end are fine.

like mentioned, just have a good spotter and lots of practice on a weekday so that you don't piss off the weekend boaters :)

Bcoutsfly
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
You'll be fine. My bud pulls an Xstar with a motorhome all of the time and launches with no problems.

You will get the occasional crowd watching you while you launch it though. Practice makes perfect :D

deerfield
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I am considering purchasing a Class C motorhome 26 to 29 feet.

Most of the use of my 05 LSV consists of trailering to local lakes that would still be done using my Sequoia as the tow vehicle. I do go to a family cabin about 200 miles away a few times per year that I would potentially use the motorhome to tow the boat there but do have access to another vehicle to launch. Other uses would be a few trips to friends cabins where I may or may not have another vehicle available to launch the boat or other destinations where I would probably would not have access to a vehicle to launch.

So, my questions for the forum...

Anyone have experience towing a 3,500 lb boat with Class C motorhomes?

Is it reasonable to think that I could launch a Moomba with a motorhome? Obviously would take the right kind of launch to do it but am interested to see if people think I'm crazy to even consider it.

silverski - I would love to have a setup like that. Frig, bathroom, place to eat and rest, tv, air conditioning, all on wheels so I could go to any lake with all the creature comforts. I like Ian's idea of a hitch out front to make the launch and retrieve easier. - Deerfield

sandm
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I really want this.... the ultimate way to get everything deerfield mentions above :)

http://www.rvtraveler.com/images/terrainwater.jpg

zabooda
04-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I pull a boat behind an RV since 1996 and not much too it. My first RV was a Winnebago 23' class A and it turned on a dime with no rear mirror to help in launching so I would position the boat where it is in view from the drivers side and straighten out as it goes down the ramp and then use both mirrors. My 2003 Winnebago class A has a camera and it works great for backing up as it mimicks a mirror and has a microphone so people can yell at ya when you get close to something. If someone has a tow rig at the camp site, I opt for the disconnect and use their rig.

If you go on gravel roads get some mud flaps or you'll be repainting fenders like I did. Other than that not much different than using a full size truck. Bon Voyage.

silverski
04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I once held a commercial drivers license and grew up in a trucking business family so am comfortable with getting around and backing in. Just haven't ever been around a RV when they are launching a boat. No one seemed to bring up any issues about traction or inability to get the trailer far enough in the water. Obviously would have to find decent ramps but it looks like it is doable. Thanks

TahitiVC
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
The main reason for the hitch on the front of the motor home is to keep the drive wheels dry so they don't spin when retrieving the boat. Friends of our tow there 24 foot tri-toon behind their class A motor home and have never had a problem .

zabooda
04-09-2010, 01:10 AM
The rear wheels will probably never touch the water. On my old motorhome I had to blow water out of the exhaust. I had some launches with gravel on them but the tires still didn't spin. Basically, it's a four wheel drive all situated in the back.

The trick is to come into the launch in a right turn loop until the RV and boat is just past the launch and then back up with the wheels in the same position (hard right) which will make the trailer pivot into view on the drivers side and then back down straightening the RV as you go until you get the ramp lines or markings in view and follow it down.

If you have problems launching or getting back out, there will always be some "help" around especially if they need the launch and the more women you have the more help you will get. I can't guarantee the quality of the help though.

GeauxTigers
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I pull my boat down to Powell 2-3 times per year, put it in and it leave in a slip for the entire week. I have a 35 ft class A and it is a piece of cake to put in with it. I like leaving the boat in the slip all week because it is a pain in the arse to break up your camp every time you want to pull the boat out. With the camera and speaker, like lots of you already said, it's a piece of cake, especially if you have experience in the trucking industry. Buster Brown over here, how about you?