PDA

View Full Version : questions on a direct drive and wakeboard pole..

sandm
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
question for those with a direct drive and the wakeboard pole..
have a buddy with a '94 moomba that just bought a used wakeboard pole. we are trying to hook the thing up and have managed to get it secured in the boat, but have a couple of questions:
-should the section that slips over the factory ski pole where you hook up a waterski rope pivot freely? this one has some bind in it
-do you lubricate or keep greased the 2 pole sections that slide together?
-when the tube is slid over the ski pole in the boat, it's got a very small amount of play in it. if he slips a bootie sock on top, the play goes away completely. he was told to do this to protect the finish on the black factory ski pole. is this correct?

any advice/help is appreciated....

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I have seen a nylon net looking sock used over the ski pylon. I had one of these but never used it as I sold it and put a tower on. I think you're right on though.

maxpower220
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
-should the section that slips over the factory ski pole where you hook up a waterski rope pivot freely? this one has some bind in it
-do you lubricate or keep greased the 2 pole sections that slide together?
-when the tube is slid over the ski pole in the boat, it's got a very small amount of play in it. if he slips a bootie sock on top, the play goes away completely. he was told to do this to protect the finish on the black factory ski pole. is this correct?

any advice/help is appreciated....

I have owned an older Skylon pole, so here

1. If it looks like it should pivot freely, it probably should. If this is the part that slips over your factory pylon, you want it snug.

2. I never lubicated the sections, you want them tight together. I disassembled mine each use, so it was never an issue.

3. Put the bootie on it, you want no play. When you secure the assembly around the front of the bow, tighten that cable well. When a boarder cuts out to the side of the boat, there is A LOT of force being put on the ski pilon that the builder did not intend.

Good luck

Sled491
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm sure a quick call to the manufactuer wouldn't be the worst idea, but sounds like Max P has some good advice there

sandm
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on. don't know the brand name, it's not stamped anywhere on it and it's devoid of stickers. I would guess it's a skylon, but I believe there were a couple different companies making them back in the 90's. it was purchased used from our local skiers dealer, but they are 30 miles away from his house and he doesn't want to tow it over for an inspection if he can avoid it, with the lake only being 5 miles from the house..