PDA

View Full Version : Swim step footprints

chpprpilot
04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Anybody else have this problem?
I've got an 09 LSV and had her out boarding last weekend. Great to be back on the water! But I'm getting black footprints on the rear vinyl when people get back in the boat. Does anybody have a fix for this? I'm looking at the Seadek products but that's a pretty painful solution between the ordering, waiting, and reconditioning. I'm surprised that Moomba is using BLACK RUBBER in such an area.
Any solutions out there?

B

moombadaze
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
not really a simple sollution.

But one member on here is testing the seadek pad out-boat sits in the florida sun yearround-it may become standard.

stretch55
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
The local dealer here in Oregon says that in either 09 or 10 Skiers Choice starting putting a different type of padding down so that the black would not track in. Like I said I am not sure if the Supposedly started this in 09 or 10. But you are right the best looking, longest lasting fix is to get a new swim deck pad from sea deck. Thats the only fix I know of.

liquidlite
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem with mine which I attribute the sun drying out the rubber. I simply lathered some protectant on the platform and never had problems with people tracking it on the vinyl again. Cheap and easy!

pickle311
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Seadeck pad is the only real fix. I was having the same issue. I scrubbed the stock pad to get all the crap off and tried to condition it with whatever I could find. I ended up soaking it with WD40 to keep the rubber from breaking down anymore. Next time I went out, I had oily black foot prints. I don't know that there is anything you can do. I've pretty much tried it all. I hated to drop the money to replace something that shouldn't need replacing, but I'm glad I did. The seadeck pad is much softer and more comfortable. The stock pad ripped open my knees several times. It was hard and felt like I was kneeling on dry rice. The seadeck is like having a nice pillow on the back, and it's not black so the surface isn't 200 degrees. For the record, this is on an 07 LSV. I had an 05 Outback before with no issues.

chpprpilot
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
This is my third Moomba. I've tried scrubbing the swim platform and soaking it in protectant but I just ended up with a slippery swim step that still tracked black footprints into the boat. I'm going to take a good look at the Seadek.
I'm just a little disappointed that this problem hasn't been fixed. Moomba has made a lot of nice upgrades over the years from my first Outback LS. I would guess that a lighter color of rubber wouldn't cost that much more right out of the factory and produce a much better product.

B

Razzman
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
This has been an issue for ALL boat manufacturers and the reason almost all have switched to something else, many now come oem with Seadek pads. Well worth the money spent, comfy and no black on the interior. I introduced them here and was the first to put one on. Going on my third season with it and it's holding up as new so far.

liquidlite
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
i used the 303 protectant by the way.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
simple green worked great for me but got tired of doing it so put on the sea dek pad. your won't find a person on here to bash it so far!

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
There was a thread on here that discussed the attempted fix, whether it was a different compound or a different manufacturer. The consensus was that it didn't work. Seadek is the way to go. One of the best upgrades you can do. Look for them to become the stock pad in the near future if the testing goes well. I should also mention that trax pad or gator grip is a decent lower cost solution.

BWeber
04-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Anybody else have this problem?
I've got an 09 LSV and had her out boarding last weekend. Great to be back on the water! But I'm getting black footprints on the rear vinyl when people get back in the boat. Does anybody have a fix for this? I'm looking at the Seadek products but that's a pretty painful solution between the ordering, waiting, and reconditioning. I'm surprised that Moomba is using BLACK RUBBER in such an area.
Any solutions out there?

B

I also have an 09' LSV, but I have not had any issues with the black swim pad leaving black marks.

However, I still replaced it with a SeaDeck pad purely for comfort climbing in and out of the water.

Sled491
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I was under the impression that the 09 and 10 boats with the new style pads weren't having this issue. We have an 07 and had the problem from day one. After the 1st season we ordered the Sea Deck pad, and I have to say it is the only way to go. As far a bling for your boat that is useful you just can't beat it. Not only can you go to a lighter color to keep it cool, it is just sooooo much more comfortable.

flatlander
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Mine was just disintegrating. I did not get the black foot prints. (03 outback).

I had a very hard time getting the old decking off. I tried goo gone and several other solvents. I think it was the turpentine that made the gel coat bubble finally but did not remove the adhesive. I finally took out the belt sander. This was a bad idea as I am now having the gel coat redone. $300 mistake.

I am looking to form a sea deck buy group to get the discount, Is anyone interested?

I wanted to start a new thread but I think the administrator disabled that function for me somehow.

Has anyone replaced the ballast pumps? I need to know where to get them and how to do it. HElp!

cab13367
04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have not had this problem on my 2006 and it still has the black rubber pad that came with it new. Maybe they switched to a different supplier of the rubber pad at some point.

csmsk
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I, like Cab, have not had any problem with the stock black rubber on my '07 LSV. I wash it often and use 303 protectant on it. Never an issue, although I do like the looks of the SeaDeck pad. Possible future upgrade...

Sled491
04-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Mine was just disintegrating. I did not get the black foot prints. (03 outback).

I had a very hard time getting the old decking off. I tried goo gone and several other solvents. I think it was the turpentine that made the gel coat bubble finally but did not remove the adhesive. I finally took out the belt sander. This was a bad idea as I am now having the gel coat redone. $300 mistake.

I am looking to form a sea deck buy group to get the discount, Is anyone interested?

I wanted to start a new thread but I think the administrator disabled that function for me somehow.

Has anyone replaced the ballast pumps? I need to know where to get them and how to do it. HElp!

You shouldn't be having any issues starting a new thread, just make sure you're not in a thread when you start your new one. Check into Modifications and how to do it sections for help on your ballast pumps, plenty O experts to found willing to help.

markcr
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Go to Sears and pick up one of these weight/workout mats.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00614724000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=FitnessAccessories&sName=Fitness%20Accessories&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Then go to Home Depot and pick up a can of 3M contact cement.

Carefully remove your old swim step pads, use them as a template for your new ones, cut them out and attach the new pads where the old ones were. Should run you around $30 - $40 dollars.

The material the Sears mat is made out of is a minicell foam product that is used by Gator Grip, Hydro-Turf and a number of other companies that sell very expensive swim platform and wave runner non-slip decking replacements.

Ken A
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
We had the same problem with our 06 LSV. The solution, we cover the deck. I bought a tarp from Home Depot that was brown on one side and silver on the other. We folded it in half (silver side out) so it was about a foot or so bigger than the deck. Whenever the boat is parked at home, we cover the deck and hook bungee cords to the eyelets on the tarp underneath the deck.

Since we started doing this (after the first summer), the black tracking problems have gone away.

zegm
04-13-2010, 08:26 AM
I can only laugh when I read through these post as many of you on here told me that I was crazy to get the teak deck.

Hummmmmmm.........yep I poured a little teak oil over it this pastweek while cleaning the boat and it looks great!!!! yep that was a lot of maintenance!!!!

By the way it was a 250 dollar option and we get so many compliments!!!!

jbheuerman
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I've never had any noticeable problems with my 06' XLV...but still thinking about the seadek option...just looks like a great custom product.

Sled491
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Exactly, just because it solves a problem for a good number of people, you can't discount the fact that it is one sweet upgrade :)

flatlander
04-13-2010, 03:35 PM

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00614724000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=FitnessAccessories&sName=Fitness%20Accessories&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Carefully remove your old swim step pads, use them as a template for your new ones, cut them out and attach the new pads where the old ones were. Should run you around $30 - $40 dollars.

The material the Sears mat is made out of is a minicell foam product that is used by Gator Grip, Hydro-Turf and a number of other companies that sell very expensive swim platform and wave runner non-slip decking replacements.

I got the foam padding. It looks good. The guys at the hardware store said the contact cement will eat the foam so I got some outdoor carpet adhesive. Carpet is similar to foam in some ways. Let me know how yours goes. Thanks for the idea!

dusty2221
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I got the foam padding. It looks good. The guys at the hardware store said the contact cement will eat the foam so I got some outdoor carpet adhesive. Carpet is similar to foam in some ways. Let me know how yours goes. Thanks for the idea!

I'd love to see completed pics of this is anyone has any

wolfeman131
04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
sounds like a decent way to solve this problem, but for those that need a fix, there is a last minute Seadek group buy going. don't think you will find anyone here that has a Seadek pad installed that will say a bad word about it. i say it's one of the best upgrades you can make and worth every penny.

link to group buy thread

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10703

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
I can only laugh when I read through these post as many of you on here told me that I was crazy to get the teak deck.

Hummmmmmm.........yep I poured a little teak oil over it this pastweek while cleaning the boat and it looks great!!!! yep that was a lot of maintenance!!!!

By the way it was a 250 dollar option and we get so many compliments!!!!

i'd like to see a pic of your swim platform zegm

zegm
04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
i'd like to see a pic of your swim platform zegm

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/zegm/DSCF1484.jpg

Not the best angle but it's all I have right now.

Sled491
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I do have to admit there is a certian elegance that comes with the teak. But the Sea Deck Pad is sooooo comfortable on my knees when I'm getting out after my run :)

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Second! I like the look, but with 2 bad knees I can't even stand the factory pad.

Sled491
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
No one can, that's why these threads keep getting started and there are more group buys running through the boards a year that stereos :D LOL JK

moombadaze
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
must be the #1 group upgrade :D

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Right up there with the 750 on the surf side.

Sled491
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
must be the #1 group upgrade :D

I'd agree with that

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 11:17 PM
"I can't even stand the factory pad"

You will :)

Not for another 10 years I won't. By the time I get a new boat again the pad will have dual massagers built into it and come with a cocktail waitress.

Razzman
04-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Not for another 10 years I won't. By the time I get a new boat again the pad will have dual massagers built into it and come with a cocktail waitress.

Uh that's called a yacht ... :p

zegm
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Ok you guys were complaining about foot prints and now you can't deal with the wood because of your knees????.................does that mean you were really talking about kneeprints???
I am thinking that you guys never really ever were behind a boat with a wood platform. You don't use your knees!!! Ok it goes like this, when you are facing the platform in the water you lift yourself up with your arms real quick and when you are about waist height you do a quick 180 turn and plop down on your butt! Do I need to make a video for you or something???? :D

Sled491
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ha Ha, my first ski boat was a 1984 Nautique. There was nothing but wood back then. At first I thought the fiber glass deck was cheap, but since owning one I kind of really dig it.

zegm
04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Ha Ha, my first ski boat was a 1984 Nautique. There was nothing but wood back then. At first I thought the fiber glass deck was cheap, but since owning one I kind of really dig it.

Ok now you are going to tell me you want a Korean Snow Mobile! :rolleyes:

I guess I am a hardcore skiboat guy! A ski boat has to have the engine in the middle and a wooden platform. I mean it took me weeks to accept an open bow but I guess "like you" I learned to like it! :D

Sled491
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Funny Korean snomobile, every one knows the best sleds are Japanese :D Just kidding, I'll argue all day that the best is made right north of me in Minnesota, GO RED!!!

I get what your saying, had closed bow, mid engine and teak everywhere, but my 07 Outback has 100 more HP and is twice the boat with 1/4 the wake.

zegm
04-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah we love our LS and I love the open bow too!!!
What engine was in that old Natique?

Sled491
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I want to say it was 225hp 351 Ford?

zegm
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Thats what our old MC had in her but she had special exhaust manifolds and she loped when she idled so I suspect she had a different grind camshaft. It also had marks on the ski pole and the side of the boat where there was a barefoot boom installed at one time. I was told the original owner (who I didn't meet) had modified the engine some to get more speed. I do know this, I have been in a couple of Outbacks and that old MC was faster. Matter of fact I never lost a drag race in that old boat.

Sled491
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
My CC was not fast, but you have to remeber you old MC didn't weigh anything either.

zegm
04-17-2010, 12:24 PM
My CC was not fast, but you have to remeber you old MC didn't weigh anything either.

you know my company ITT makes carbon parts, big ones, so we make a carbon hull and put a BMW 4.4L 400hp M3 engine in it and see how fast it goes? Now that would be the Ulitimate ski boat.
Now we take the same hull and put my 5.0L V-10 Diesel in it and make it a center console. Now that would be the ulitimate offshore boat, fast while sipping the fuel!
Let me see what I can do! Anyone interested in some stock? :cool:

Oh I need you guys to determine what would be a good wakeboard system.

Sled491
04-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Actually I wonder if that would be a problem. The hull being too lite? Also what would the cost be like? I have to imagine pretty high. But if you're looking for a test group I will gladly take the first proto type ski version and keep you in the loop as to its performance :D

zegm
04-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Well I am not supposed to say much but I wish you could have seen what I witnessed on this plant tour! A boat! NO PROBLEM!!!! Could even QA something that big to within .001 no problem. Lets just say they make stuff for big things that fly!

zegm
04-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Look up MH-53 helicopter, the current/newest model being built for the US Marines.
I work with an older version of that bad boy but the new ones is going to weight a lot less!

Sled491
04-17-2010, 11:37 PM
So which one you involved with the Pave? Sea Dragon, tilt rotor?

zegm
04-17-2010, 11:48 PM
MH-53E Sea Dragon
I work in the mine warfare field with the sea Dragon and the MH-60 Seahawk.

But this is what I was talking about---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_CH-53K

Its cabin will be 1 foot (25 cm) wider and 15% larger, but will have new shorter composite sponsons.

oregonboarder
07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Like many of you I had the problem of the black footprints coming from my back step. I had tried just about everything. This weekend I gave Purple Power a try. It's a cheap biodegradable degreaser/cleaner found at Walmart. (Under $6 for a gallon bottle, $3 for a spray bottle.) I sprayed it liberally over the entire step then scrubbed with a wet RV brush for about 5 minutes, then rinsed it off. I happy to say I went the entire weekend with not one black footprint.

The black rubber still gets too hot for kids though. My Seadek order will be here later this week. Pics to come on that upgrade later.

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
The previous owner of my boat had the same issue with the black footprints so he chose to Linex the swim deck. I originally wasn't too thrilled with this because i knew this is never coming off. However, Ive have discovered this is one of the best mods ever. It has good grip, not hard on your feet, doesn't scratch our boards and no black foot prints in the boat. I love it.

I have read that other boat owners used Rhino lining instead because its a bit softer, but its also less durable and may chip over time. This linex stuff will out last the boat.

In any case, I really like it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6006/5927135948_c86a4e3ea2_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6027/5926594713_8007e215b6_z.jpg

iwaterskihard
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
My deck is wood! Just oil 2 - 3 times a year and no problems!:D Plus I still like the wood look on tow boats.

usaski1
07-11-2011, 09:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Anyone got any photos of this, how did it hold up? I would love me a $250 Seadek pad, but $250 is just not in the cards right now. $50.. could do! Not that Seadek is a bad product, its great, but lets see some photos of alternatives..

JDMobiusLaker
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
What's the best cleaner to remove the black footprints?

Just discovered this forum.

Our Mobius has accumulated these footprints for a few years now.