PDA

View Full Version : Buying an '05 Outback Friday

markcr
04-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm going to check out a 2005 Outback Friday and was wondering if you guys can point me to anything specific to look for. From my reading, these boats seem to be right up there with the higher priced tournament boats. Does the 2005 (or similar year models) have any known issues I should look out for? I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that everything checks out. If I buy it, I'll follow up with some pics.

Thanks!

pickle311
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I had an 05 Outback that I bought new, never had a single major issue. There's only 1 thing that I would look for that's model specific. The rear seat allows for the bottom to pull out and placed on top so it makes the rear deck bigger. The seat sits on the side cushion that looks somewhat like an armrest. Inside of it is a thick plastic frame to support the seat and it can break. Mine broke as well as others have. It was replaced under warranty so I didn't think much of it. Looking at it, it was really hard to tell that it was broken. It became obvious when the seat was on top because it wasn't supported very well and would fall if a few people sat on it.
When looking at the boat, look at that area and make sure they aren't broken. If they are, it's probably a $300 fix and takes a few weeks to get the parts from Moomba.

Other than that, just check the condition of the interior, gel coat, maintenance records, prop and rudder for dings, see if it has the carb or efi motor, ask when the impeller was last changed I change mine every year. I'd also suggest checking the condition of the steering and throttle cable. Make sure they move freely with no snags. Put the boat in the water for a test drive, listen for odd noises and vibrations. Just all of the things you'd look for on any boat.

The Outback is a great boat , I see a lot of them around here and never hear any complaints. Good luck and post pics if you get it. One last thing, don't be afraid if it has the carb engine. Mine did and it ran great. I now have the EFI and honestly can't tell the difference. It started just as easy even after sitting all winter.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Great boat! Hope you join the club! Second the carbed motor. My 2000 OB had the carb and I just sold it this spring. Ran great-- very fast too!

JesseC
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Great boat! Hope you join the club! Second the carbed motor. My 2000 OB had the carb and I just sold it this spring. Ran great-- very fast too!

I can throw in a vote for the carb as well. It took me forever to find a carb LSV. I did not want the EFI. All my boat has is a distributor, fuel pump and a carb. No extra crap to go wrong and I have never had an issue!!! Starts with the first turn of the key every year!!

Sled491
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I would chine in and 2nd what every one else says. While I wouldn't buy anything but EFI there is nothing wrong with the carbed motor. Although in 05 the EFI was getting more and more popular, if the one you are going to buy has EFI consider it a nice bonus

pickle311
04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
The main benifit of EFI is that it helps the resale value. Take the same 2 boats, same price, 1 has efi and the other has a carb, the one with efi will sale first 9 times out of 10. The carb has a lot of myths and ignorance attached to it because it hasn't been used in vehicles for the last 20 years.

maxpower220
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I've owned 3 EFI boats and 2 carbed boats. Never had any issues with EFI. Carbs, well, they needed some attention.

Personally, I would not buy another carbed boat (if I had a choice) again, ever.

When looking over any boat, always check every covered area of the boat to make sure that are not stress cracks in the fiberglass. Check the engine area for any rusted bolts or engine pieces. There may be a little surface rust, but more than that is a sign of salt/brackish water or mistreatment. Ask for documents of service (many times there are no records and that is not a huge deal), but the owner should be able to tell you exactly what maintenance has been done (when and where).

If the boat motor is warm when you get there, ask why. (If a motor does not start well when cold, some people will "warm it up" prior to you getting there to make sure the process goes well in front of you). Check all of the fluids after your test ride (oil, tranny, and the bilge area).

Check the trailer over good also. Wear and tear on a trailer can indicate similar conditions for a boat. Rust is a key here also. Check the tires for unusual wear and test the lights. Getting a great deal on a boat is not so great if you have to put $500-1500 into the trailer.

There are or will be many boat to choose from, so don't make a mistake if the boat isn't the right one for you.
Good luck.