PDA

View Full Version : need help....Impeller possibly bad

WaterBullDawg1980
04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey guys, posting from my BB here at the lake. I bought a new impeller to put in this year and am trying to get the old one out so I can put the new one in. Problem is, West Marine did not have an impeller puller and for the life of me I cannot get the old one out.

My question is, my current impeller has about 150 hours on it and one of the splines looks like it has a rip in it. If I went out on the water right now, what are the risks? Would I notice my temp running high first before any damage was to occur?

I was thinking if the risk was not that high, then it may be better to just wait until the proper tool arrives.

What do you guys think?

JesseC
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
You should be able to pull the old one out with a lot of wiggling and pulling. I have used two paint keys in the past to grip onto the back of the impeller. I personally would not run on a damaged impeller. Killing your boat at the beginning of a season would be a real bummer.

mcdye
04-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Have you tried and spray it with wd40, disconnect the coil wire and bump the motor over a few times....this helped for me..

I would be leary of a spline that is questionable breaking loose and causing issue further down the pipe....

Razzman
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Once it tears it's a goner and very well might help take out other vanes. They then will travel and possibly plug up the trans cooler or passages.

mmandley
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
If you got the new one and the old one is torn just grab that sucker and rip it out. LOL

No honestly if you dont ahve any WD 40 then grab the dip stick get a little oil from it on your fingers, smear it in there, then disconnect the coil wire off the front of the engine and crank it for a second.

Then you should be able to pull it right out. Shes just resisting you.

byronkoz
04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Any luck getting it out? I used some small needle nose plyers to get mine out. Was a pain but I just had to keep working it back and forth and it finally came out.

jester
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I would not run a damaged impeller. Even if you use wd40 or oil and it does not come out get yourself an impeller puller. Takes less then 1 min to get it out and you do not have to fight with it.

DOCDRS
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
use needle nose vise grips and any oil,vegetable, ky jelly(my fav) . remove upper hose and spray in there on impeller and bump engine as previous posts. and on the splines. when ya install new one put some anti seize cmpd on the inner impeller splines for easier fall removal

kaneboats
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Grab a beer or other favorite beverage in one hand and the needle nose in the other hand. Spray a little WD 40 or liquid wrench on first. Start wiggling. With each sip wiggle a little more. Before you are half way through the sixer it will start to work loose. Please let us know how you do.

csmsk
04-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I also use the paint can key trick. Works every time!

Razzman
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Grab a beer or other favorite beverage in one hand and the needle nose in the other hand. Spray a little WD 40 or liquid wrench on first. Start wiggling. With each sip wiggle a little more. Before you are half way through the sixer it will start to work loose. Please let us know how you do.

Now that's a good description! :p Btw if you have 45 degree needlenose it works better on Vdrives as it's hard to gate a straight pull.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pick up a pair. Can't believe I never acquired one with all the tools I have.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Update to my fight....

So I ended up running the engine and sitting in the cove of my boat ramp like a redneck simply to get it to turn a bit and to loosen it up. Plus my wife and little one would have had my head if I didn't at least let them sit out there for a little bit. :) So we just parked it 100ft from my ramp and sat there.

I am going to try find the needle nose vice grip that Razz mentioned that are set at a 45degree angle. Mine are a bit too long and I just cant get a good angle.

I am also going to spray some WD-40 in there and see if that helps. Hell, I may even try some KY!

I think this has been asked on here before, but would it do any damage if I was to cut some of those rubber splines out to make it a bit easier? I mean, obviously I am not going to run it until the new one is in, so what do ya think?

All I do know is come Friday, that thing is coming out whether it likes it or not.

jester
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Good luck in getting it out. Also note if you break open a thing of KY you might have to finish it off and well 9 months later you might have another little one. Just saying watch out for the tools you use.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Definitely take care of your tools.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Haha! You guys are not right.

DOCDRS
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Binding lube works well also as it is watet soluble and fishy friendly too. Unlike most other lubes.

cab13367
04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
This is what has worked for me. Remove the impeller cover and spray silicone lubricant in there. I don't think you want to spray WD-40 in there because WD-40 is not good for rubber. Someone correct me if I am wrong here. Then bump the engine for just a second to spread the lubricant and the impeller might even start to come out on it's own. Get a pair of needle nose vise grips and insert one jaw in the center of the impeller and the other between two of the blades. The needle nose vise grips are key because their long jaws and the fact that they stay parallel to each other gives you a lot of "bite" on the impeller. Pull steadily and it should come right out.

kaneboats
04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Spray whatever the heck you want in there. The old one is coming out. Just wipe it clean when you're done and put some good old vaseline on it when you're done. (No tool comments please on that one.)

moombadaze
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Tried those paint can openers-didnt work for me. Used needle nose pliers, running the motor, lube and brute force to get the impeller out. I think the original is always the hardest to get out. Next time im haveing 2 beers 1st-that should help!

Eric Z
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
If anyone has pics of the project that would help. I am going to do mine and am looking for any and all help.

jester
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Eric,

If you will be down in Eugene with your boat i would be more then happy to help and let you use my impeller puller. You do not have to fight with it and it takes more time getting in position to pull the impeller then pulling it.