PDA

View Full Version : Wiring the Heater Switch

cab13367
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
In csmsk's excellent heater install write up, he writes,

"Also, I didn't use the three speed control switch that came with the kit. I had a two way rocker switch in the dash that I wasn't using, so I hooked the heater to that. Now I only have control of "high" and "medium" speed. I thought that if I needed the "slow" speed, I didn't really need it on at all!"

I am finally installing a heater in my boat (parts are arriving today) and would like to do exactly the same as Chris did above. I am not very good with wiring so could someone please explain in detail how to wire the heater to the two way rocker switch on the dash, including telling me exactly which wire to attach to which spade on the back of the switch.

Chris, are you out there??

Thanks,

Al

jester
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Al,

Can you post some photo's of the switch you have or what type of switch it is. Also can you post the wires you have for the heater.

kaneboats
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
In csmsk's excellent heater install write up, he writes . . .
Chris, are you out there??

He hasn't been around in a while. He's one of the guys we miss b/c he had so much quality info to add all the time. Hopefully as the season gets going he'll be back on here. You might send him a PM to see if you can jump-start him. :)

cab13367
04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Al,

Can you post some photo's of the switch you have or what type of switch it is. Also can you post the wires you have for the heater.

I got the kit today and the switch plate is much smaller than it appeared in the pics so I have found a convenient place to mount it. I won't be using the spare switch on the dash after all. Thanks anyway.

He hasn't been around in a while. He's one of the guys we miss b/c he had so much quality info to add all the time. Hopefully as the season gets going he'll be back on here. You might send him a PM to see if you can jump-start him. :)

I sent him an e-mail but he has not responded. I remember that he had his boat for sale for a while then decided he was going to keep it so I was hoping he would come back to the board after that. I have not had much time to spend on here lately either so I can sympathize.

csmsk
04-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey guys!!! Sorry I missed this. My work schedule has changed recently and the weather is just now getting me into the mood, so I'll be checking in more often. And yes, I did get to keep my boat after all!!!

I do receive all your PM's, and have responded (even though I was a day late with Al's last one.)

I haven't done any recent upgrades, but I did check all my lag bolts in the carpeted trailer runners last month. ABOUT 70% ARE STRIPPED OUT!!! I'll be switching over to carridge bolts soon.

Al,
Hope the install went well. I'll be checking back soon for pics.

Thanks for everyones concern. We've got a really great community here!

kaneboats
04-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Shoot, I'm just glad you're back on here. It wasn't the same -- kind of like bringing balance back or something.

csmsk
04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Awwwww man, yer makin' me blush!

cab13367
04-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey guys!!! Sorry I missed this. My work schedule has changed recently and the weather is just now getting me into the mood, so I'll be checking in more often. And yes, I did get to keep my boat after all!!!

I do receive all your PM's, and have responded (even though I was a day late with Al's last one.)

I haven't done any recent upgrades, but I did check all my lag bolts in the carpeted trailer runners last month. ABOUT 70% ARE STRIPPED OUT!!! I'll be switching over to carridge bolts soon.

Al,
Hope the install went well. I'll be checking back soon for pics.

Thanks for everyones concern. We've got a really great community here!

Chris,

Good to see you back here. I am just getting started with my install. Will work on it a little at a time. I'll post up some pics when I get done.

I checked out where I am going to install two of the heater tubes under the dash like u did and man it's tight in there. Will definitely measure and remeasure before gettn the 4" hole saw out. Any tips locating the tubes and making sure I drill the holes in the right place?

csmsk
04-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I guess what I did was traced them out from the inside with a paint pen, then drilled a very small hole at the center of the trace also from the inside. Then I used that hole to get my pilot bit of the hole saw started from the gelcoat side for a clean hole. A little nerve racking, I know, but some carefull planning and you'll be fine.

Have fun with it!

cab13367
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks Chris, that helps. I'm sure it won't be that bad once I dive in. Right now, I am trying to find the right shut off valves and the fittings to make it all work. I don't want to have any heater hose between the block and the shut off valve.

cab13367
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Okay, so I installed the heater core today and wired it to a spare dash switch after all. I am using my old Gravity I ballast three position switch as I am not using it anymore. I ordered a faceplate for it so that it will read "Heater" on the switch, then "High" in the up position and "Low" in the down position. There are two indicator lights - one for High, and one for Low. Anyway, it's working fine except that when I flip the switch to High or to Low, both indicator lights come on.

So does anyone know what I need to do to fix this so that only the correct indicator light comes on, not both?

Thanks,

Al

MI-LSV
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Al,

I am working on the same upgrade, where did you get the new faceplate for the switch? That is something that would really complete the installation.

cab13367
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Al,

I am working on the same upgrade, where did you get the new faceplate for the switch? That is something that would really complete the installation.

From the dealer, it's $5. He had to order it so I don't have it yet.

cab13367
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Okay, so I installed the heater core today and wired it to a spare dash switch after all. I am using my old Gravity I ballast three position switch as I am not using it anymore. I ordered a faceplate for it so that it will read "Heater" on the switch, then "High" in the up position and "Low" in the down position. There are two indicator lights - one for High, and one for Low. Anyway, it's working fine except that when I flip the switch to High or to Low, both indicator lights come on.

So does anyone know what I need to do to fix this so that only the correct indicator light comes on, not both?

Thanks,

Al

Got a call from my dealer today. He says the switch is faulty, that the wires for the lights are probably touching inside the switch. Says, I have it wired correctly, so mystery solved.

csmsk
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Al,
I emailed you my response. I'll have to re-check if my switch might be faulty also.

MI-LSV
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
After laying under the dash for about 30 minutes with a multi-meter, I have the solution to the switch.

Here is how you wire up the switch so only 1 indicator light at a time comes on.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=296&pictureid=2472
You need to provide a seperate power and then use the terminals on the right side, looking at if from the floor on the backside.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=296&pictureid=2473

cab13367
04-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks MI-LSV for figuring this out! I am going to give it a try tomorrow.

cab13367
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
That did the trick! I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical stuff so thx again for figuring this out and sharing it with us. The cumulative knowledge of the folks on this forum never cease to amaze me!

csmsk
04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks, now I'll try that also!