PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

LyndonH Dubai
04-07-2010, 04:13 AM
hello
i have a Moomba 2004 XLV gravity games edition but it has no depth finder??
does anyone know if you can fit depth finders to these boats without having to drill the hull etc
my old chapparal in the uk had a depth finder fitted to it which was just like an aerial under the dash which i dont think needed any sensors or drilling etc?
i dont want to pay a fortune, but the place here in dubai we use the boat can be really shallow and we have beached it twice already!!

mcdye
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
That should be an easy add on. Mine came stock, there was no hull drilling required for it. It appears to be an ultrasound type sensor that is glued to the hull by the vdrive and a gauge mounted in the dash area.

moombadaze
04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
just added one myself-readout gauge went in the dash and the transducer glues down in the bottom of the boat by the Vdrive unit, hook up power and ground. No holes drilled. I used hummin bird brand.

kaneboats
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
It's one of those items you don't really think about till you have a boat that has one -- then you can't live without it!

vandy654
04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Mcdye or Moombadaze, could you send me a picture of where your transducer is glued down? I ordered a Hawkeye, and having issues finding a place where the transducer works glued in the hull. Thanks! 02 OB LSV

pickle311
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
My last Moomba had the Hawkeye and I glued the transducer down near the motor. I just found a good clear spot and stuck it there. A good way to test for a mounting location is to have the boat in the water with the depth finder installed. Put the transducer in a ziplock bag full of water and put it in the hull. Move it around until you get a reading in a spot that's easy to mount.
In my LSV, I went with a different depth finder. I can't remember the name, but it has a water and air temp sensor. I had to drill the hull to get the water sensor out. The transducer is much larger on this one too and has a completely different mounting system. I'm not even going to try to explain it, but it seems to work a lot better. Not that the other one was bad though.

Aquaholic
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
what is the make of the current Depth Finder? Mine is becoming a pain because giving me the --- very now and again. Is replacing the transducer the fix for this?

Aqua

mcdye
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Mcdye or Moombadaze, could you send me a picture of where your transducer is glued down? I ordered a Hawkeye, and having issues finding a place where the transducer works glued in the hull. Thanks! 02 OB LSV

It is on the port side of the vdrive about 6" behind the speed pickup..

You can barely see it here under the end of the tape measure..https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7597&highlight=water+strainer first pic.

vandy654
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks man. I'll give that spot a try and let you know how it goes.