PDA

View Full Version : Add Subwoofer?

kaneboats
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Anybody add a subwoofer to the stock system in the LSV? This is a 2008 with the stock Kenwood deck plus two tower speakers and 6 interior speakers. There are two amps but I haven't even looked at what they are.

I am curious as to whether I need to add a separate amp or if I can use what's there just to add a 10" sub. I know that a subwoofer was an available option but I don't know if they would run it from the same amps or use different ones or add a third one if you ordered the sub. Anybody been through this?

sandm
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
my "guess" would be that you have the 4ch kenwood amps that skiers liked to use. if you do, then no additional amps are needed. you really need to get the model numbers and that will tell all. might take some re-wiring tho for you to really get the best usage out of them if you do in-fact have the dual 4ch amps.
if not, you can swap one out for a 4ch and go from there.

Brianinpdx
04-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Kane - take a look at the setup you have. You could add a small 10"sub if the cabin amplifier is a 5 channel amp and they just hooked up the cabin speakers to ch's 1-4. I doubt this is the case but, hey, you never know.

I will also say, the guys that do have the 5th channel amplifier and a 10" sub are all the guys have have asked us to develop a 12" "Perfect Fit" Ported enclosure system for your LSV so they can upgrade and actually hear those 2 octaves of sound that they are missing. This type of setup would require a dedicated amplifier to power as most 5th channel amplifiers are not exactly robust in their output level.

check your model#'s and go from there.

-Brian
Exile Audio

kaneboats
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
The model #'s are ZX250.2 and ZX200.4.

Brianinpdx
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
kane - you answered your own Q

the .4 is for the cabin
the .2 is for the towers

if you want to add a sub, you'd either need to upgrade to a .5 and build a box or buy a pre-made enclosure system and a dedicated amp.

having a sub is a good thing. Even if your not a boom boom guy, it gives you a much warmer overall sound when it blends into the cabin setup.

-Brian

kaneboats
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM
That's really what we're after. I'll have to figure out what the best way to go is.

mmandley
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Yup the 200.4 and the 200.2 are the standard amps.

When i bough mine last year, it didnt come with tower speaker but it came with a sub. They took the 200.2 bridged the 2 channels together and ran that to the sub.

Realy think about the sound you want out of the sub before you take this project on. This is where mine started last winter when i upgraded my sub tot he Kicker L5. Then the Exile XM7s then the entire system was reworked, and to be honest i still want new cabins just waiting till the summer gets here i think LOL.

If you realy just want some bass and not a real need for the heavy hit, big sound then the normal hump options so many have can work pretty well. This will also require a new amp, eighter a thrird, or what i would do is the 5 channel.

If you realy want dynamic big sound, with realy solid bass tones then you have to have some kind of box. Lots of us have them, all depends on what space and location in the boat you are willing to give up for it. Remember nothign is for free, and a sub costs SPACE!!

kaneboats
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
The 5 channel is definitely a possibility as it would save space and I could take out the 4 channel and use it in the Mustang-- it can use all the help it can get.

mmandley
04-05-2010, 03:29 PM
The kick panel or hump the factory places the sub is a great do it yourself option. I ran mine there all summer last year and it sounded realy great for what it is. It is simple, uses unsed space, and it still looks nice.

I would definitly be looking into the kicker 700.5 amp. Also look at getting a Duel Voice Coil Sub that can run at 2ohms. The 700.5 is stable at 2ohms and it realy does pound for what it is.

12inch speaker can be put in the hump but its tight fit. I would look more into the Kicker L5 that i had, also Newty is running these but there in boxes. You will have to add osme padidng behind the speaker to help close the space behind it up, you can also look into some open air type subs.

There was a huge thread on this that Cab started last winter think it was in Nov.

cab13367
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
The model #'s are ZX250.2 and ZX200.4.

Kane,

I saw your post in the classifieds asking about the ZX200.4 being advertised there and whether or not you can use it for a sub. You can't, but here's how you can use that amp to add a sub to your system without breaking the bank:

1. Leave your current ZX200.4 as is - powering your 6 cabin speakers.

2. Use the ZX250.2 to run a 4 ohm sub. In bridged operation, it will deliver 250W x 1 to a 4 ohm sub. I have a Polk/Momo 4 ohm 10" sub in perfect condition that I'd make you a good deal on. PM me if interested. It will fit perfectly in the footbox under the dash of your LSV.

3. Buy the ZX200.4 in the classifieds and run it bridged to power your tower speakers. It will deliver 100W x 2 @ 4 ohms in bridged operation. Verify that your tower speakers are 4 ohm speakers which they should be. Your current ZX250.2 is delivering 85W x 2 @ 4 ohms so your tower speakers will get more power from running the 200.4 bridged compared to what they are getting from the 250.2 now.

I got all the specs above from sonicelectronix.com so they should all be correct.

Hope that helps.

Al

jmvotto
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kane,

My sub polk momo sounds good in that location, check out my album for pics.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll do that. Al, that's some sound advice. ;) Thanks so much. I'll have to decide what the heck I'm going to do.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
So, what's the deal? The hump becomes the sub box? Does that work OK? I guess I really don't like the idea of having it on the floor or under my feet, which are wet a lot of the time. And I rest my right foot there all the time when I'm driving. I really think I'd rather put something in the space above the hump.

Razzman
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Kane, that's where mine currently is, on the hump firing towards the starboard side. However, i'm getting ready very shortly to build another box design i've been playing with for over 6 months now (don't ask) that will straddle the hump yet the sub fires toward the helm/cabin and yet it is off the floor. In theory it should sound real good being driven by around 400+ watts. I don't want to shake the boat just get full range. Hopefully i'll have this done in the next two weeks or so. If i don't like it then it's back to the drawing board!

So here's my current Memphis sub sitting in a pre-made box on the hump. It's strapped on to to the under-dash structure and bracket at each of the front corners.

kaneboats
04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I think a lot of having it in the open is for the "bling" factor. I don't care that much about seeing it; I want to hear it. And, I don't need to shake the boat either. I can tell I need a sw after having one in the old boat. The system sounds weak and incomplete without it. I hope you post your new design when you get done.

jmvotto
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Kane,

If you don't want it in the hump( more for space ans opposed to bling) check out Tazz post on the audioformz sub enclosure. Cab polk fits that sealed enclosure PERFECT, water proof and up and out the way. I have a sturdy grille on my sub, it never gets wet there as well, my feet don't come close to eaching in but i am only 5'10" :D

Raz, nice pic, how did you get that ? through the heater port? LOL I wish i had that much room.......

Razzman
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Raz, nice pic, how did you get that ? through the heater port? LOL I wish i had that much room.......

Just went in under the dash and placed it up there, does fit like a glove though!

EarmarkMarine
04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Recently, on YouDaMan's Moomba, we added a 12-inch subwoofer enclosure under the driver's helm/dash. He posted some pics in the Moomba modifications section.

The enclosure is concealed behind a carpeted facade and the woofer is direct-radiating into the cockpit.

While the enclosure is resin-coated for water resistance, it is also stood off both the hump and sole with HDPE mounting pads so total drainage is built into the design. In the event of a major roller there is no moisture trap. And, the carpet is marine-grade rubber-backed and mildew-free.

With the enclosure depth, stand-offs and facade, no more than 5 inches of leg room is lost. The enclosure is full sized for a sealed 12-inch, is 3/4-inch stock, plus the hump was not cut or altered.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Recently, on YouDaMan's Moomba, we added a 12-inch subwoofer enclosure under the driver's helm/dash. He posted some pics in the Moomba modifications section.

The enclosure is concealed behind a carpeted facade and the woofer is direct-radiating into the cockpit.

While the enclosure is resin-coated for water resistance, it is also stood off both the hump and sole with HDPE mounting pads so total drainage is built into the design. In the event of a major roller there is no moisture trap. And, the carpet is marine-grade rubber-backed and mildew-free.

With the enclosure depth, stand-offs and facade, no more than 5 inches of leg room is lost. The enclosure is full sized for a sealed 12-inch, is 3/4-inch stock, plus the hump was not cut or altered.

David
Earmark Marine

David,
You don't happen to have some progress pics of how it was built and installed do you?? That might help alot of us forum members that are 2000+ miles away from you. Otherwise we'd bring out boat on down and let you put one in:p (or at least I would) :D

EarmarkMarine
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Viking,

The enclosure scheme we used in DaMan's Moomba can be prefabbed and shipped.

BTW, there are no holes in the box for mounting or for the facade so everything can be removed and reinstalled without concern for losing the airtight integrity and the boat dealer loves it because they can easily access under the helm. All mounting is done with studs and nuts so everything lines up perfectly upon reinstallation as it was originally.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
I'll Pm you David.........thanx