PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done a remote mount oil filter?

ian ashton
04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I saw this is now standard on Nautiques, and given the amount we use out boat I think it would be a great investment, making the oil changes way easier.

Just looking for reccomendations on a quality kit to do this...

moombadaze
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
its standard on the V-drives, should be very easy to retrofit, if theres room under the doghouse

badasshybrid
04-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I have one on my 99 outback. There is plenty of room for it. I just dont know what filter goes on it so I can change the oil. I looked and it had a Wix #33225 fuel water filter on it. I cant find out what filter that is in a oil filter.

Any ideas?

viking
04-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I'd be interested to get the skinny on it too. Anything to make life easier in the long run :) Let us know what you find Ian and post pics if you decide on this mod!!

Engine Nut
04-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Indmar has a remote oil friler kit that is pretty nice. The filter head and adapter that attaches where the current oil filter is are all made of aluminum billett. The part number is S495145. It uses the same size oil filter that is currently on the engine.

I saw this is now standard on Nautiques, and given the amount we use out boat I think it would be a great investment, making the oil changes way easier.

Engine Nut
04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Indmar has a remote oil filter kit that is pretty nice. The filter head and adapter that attaches where the current oil filter is are all made of aluminum billett. The part number is S495145. It uses the same size oil filter that is currently on the engine.

zegm
04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
This would make my life much easier, and we spoke about this in the past. So now here comes the 3 W's. Where do we get it? Where does it mount (because that was the problem before)? and What does it cost?

Thanks Larry for posting this! :)

wolfeman131
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
This would make my life much easier, and we spoke about this in the past. So now here comes the 3 W's. Where do we get it? Where does it mount (because that was the problem before)? and What does it cost?

Thanks Larry for posting this! :)

just got done devouring a Honey Baked Ham and trying to fight off a food coma, so looked a few up.

for $159
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/remote-filter-p-297.html

for $260
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083

zegm
04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Wow that is expensive. I am going to ask my Small Block Chevy guys what a kit like this cost in the "Motor Head Magazines". I might could swing that cost if the lines were braided Stainless Steel but I am not going to pay that much for a couple of simple machined aluminum plates, 2 cheap hoses and the assorted fittings.

badasshybrid
04-05-2010, 04:28 AM
You can buy the adapters from Summit Racing or Jegs. You want the adapters with the side in and out ports and they are a little higher than the top and bottom ports. Only difference is the side ports will take up less room with the hoses. And you can have the hoses made to length at any hose and belt shop. You would have about 60.00 to 100.00 in the setup.

You could run the top and bottom ports with a 90* fitting on the ends (unless you have the room for the 2 hose to make 2 big loops) but buy the time you buy the fittings you could have bought the side port adapters.

zegm
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
You know with how close my engine is to the stringer I am not sure I have room for side ports. I am going to get the boat out of the garage today and get her ready for the water. That way I can look and see what room I have. But currently to change my oil filter I have to take off the P-clamp that holds the wiring harness and 2 of the plug wires to squeeze my hand in a narrow gap to get to the filter. Once I have it loose I have to have somone on the other side of the block ready to grab the filter as there is NO way it can come out the port side but there is plenty of room on the starboard side for it to clear.

maxpower220
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Zach has small hands and arm structure, start "teaching" him to change the oil.

zegm
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Due to the fact the some alignment process was not very good our motor is way off to the port side. I can stick my leg between the engine and the starboard stringer but can barely get my hand in the port side. When you look under the boat and see where the hole was drilled for the prop shaft you can see why the engine had to be moved so far to one side. Now if Zachary had the strength to do this job I would let him but you still have to remove the wiring harness as it completely blocks what little access we have there.